rllmuk
Revival

The Outer Worlds | Obsidian 2019

Finished this today with around 17 hours on the clock.  Cleared up most of edge water, monarch i explored alot of and did a few side quests.  Last city Byzantium, pretty much wiped out anyone in my path and only remember doing one side mission with the movie guy.  Went down the path with philias till the end and overall, pretty much what the bag said above "liked, not loved"

Really enjoyed Edgewater/roseway parts of the game. Monarch just felt like a bigger version of edgewater and at the end played out pretty much same as Edgewater anyway. Still enjoyed monarch overall except for the queen mantis in the out backs.  Byzantium I wasnt really feeling at all so just decided to get through it as quick as possible.

Overall great addition to game pass and If i paid £30 for it, would of still got my moneys worth.  

• Downvote 1

Byzantium for me ended up like...

Spoiler

A heist gone wrong. When I got the chemicals I ended up having to shoot my way out of the entire city!

Don’t know if it was like that for anyone else.

10 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Byzantium for me ended up like...

Hide contents

A heist gone wrong. When I got the chemicals I ended up having to shoot my way out of the entire city!

Don’t know if it was like that for anyone else.

Nope. Who did you upset? :lol:

Jesus.

Spoiler

What a dismal final chapter. Byzantium and Tartarus were devoid of personality, and that ending :facepalm: they couldn't even afford FMV?

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Nope. Who did you upset? :lol:

Spoiler

I think I might’ve taken a wrong turn, but I came back up in a lift into a lobby area full of corporate troopers and my disguise thingy had run out. It was a case of “whoops” and they opened fire, and it all spilled out into the streets. On the plus side, I’d completed a side quest there for a woman who turned out to be an awful person when I was just trying to be a good guy. The end of that quest never sat right with me, but in the chaos, she opened fire on me and my companions and ended up getting her just desserts! :lol:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

@Monkeyboy Dismiss your companions before going through the door, that fixed it for me. Doing that brings about its own problems when you have to fight afterwards without backup...

Thank you. I’ll try that as well. I’m at level 30 anyway, so hopefully not too much of a problem.

10 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

Jesus.

Hide contents

What a dismal final chapter. Byzantium and Tartarus were devoid of personality, and that ending :facepalm: they couldn't even afford FMV?

I didn't mind the way they did the ending, it's a bit like the ending on Dishonored 2.

1 hour ago, Thwomp said:

@Monkeyboy Dismiss your companions before going through the door, that fixed it for me. Doing that brings about its own problems when you have to fight afterwards without backup...

It worked! Thanks again. Game completed!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

I didn't mind the way they did the ending, it's a bit like the ending on Dishonored 2.

Yeah, I didn’t really have a problem with the ending. I imagine there’s quite a few different ones given the choices on offer, so probably the easiest way to do it.

Overall, I’d say I enjoyed the game but it feels typically Obsidian: lots of good ideas maybe hampered by a smaller budget. They always seem close to doing something truly great but just coming up short. I hope Microsoft chuck a load of money at them for their next project.

Alpha Protocol 2 please!!

Damn it, 2 botched quests that are botched for no reason. One says parvati is dead (im playing on normal and shes in my fucking team talking to me) and another brand new quest not linked to any others that jusr changed to botched for no reason. 

Was trying to do all the companion quests but its fucked now. 

Might just stop playing or rush though main story now. 

Getting a little bit tired of this and with Fallen Order on the horizon I'm hoping I can wrap this up soon.  I've just arrived in Byzantium, having rinsed all the side quests elsewhere.  How long would you say I've got left to go?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Damn it, 2 botched quests that are botched for no reason. One says parvati is dead (im playing on normal and shes in my fucking team talking to me) and another brand new quest not linked to any others that jusr changed to botched for no reason. 

Was trying to do all the companion quests but its fucked now. 

Might just stop playing or rush though main story now. 

The Parvati one happened to me last night, so I loaded an old save :(  It wiped away an hour of play, but luckily it was a dialogue heavy session so I was able to skip through everything.  It seemed to happen during Max's companion quest on Scyla for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Getting a little bit tired of this and with Fallen Order on the horizon I'm hoping I can wrap this up soon.  I've just arrived in Byzantium, having rinsed all the side quests elsewhere.  How long would you say I've got left to go?  

Not long depending how you play it out on Byzantium. I went John Rambo on everyone and blitz through it in no time lol. I heard there isn't much in the way of decent side quests on Byzantium anyway. around 3 hours I would say.  Apologies for any spoilers earlier, didn't think what I put was but hey. Edited as such.

• Downvote 5

Thanks... but... spoilers?!  Blimey.

Maybe I shouldn't have asked, but was only really after a rough estimate of time not a breakdown of the end-game events :(

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Finished after 30 hours, by a huge distance my GOTY and some of you are mad. It’s the perfect length. I never finished Skyrim because I got to 100 hours of mostly the same fucking stuff and eventually gave up. This is Mass Effect length and perfect for it.

I’ve tried twice to finish Fallout 4, eventually being stymied by everything being able to turbo murder me despite finishing fallout 3 and nv and this reminded me of those more than fallout ever did.

On 10/11/2019 at 22:21, Mr Do 71 said:

more to the point it’s exactly like the ending on Fallout 3 and NV.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

23 hours ago, Dudley said:

It’s the perfect length.

Agree. I wish there were more RPGs of this length. Makes replaying not feel like such a chore. I've just started again and gone for a super dumb, super strong, super charming character. Some of the dumb conversation options are great. I'm putting a lot of points into melee and defence and wow, I'm a total beast with a melee weapon. It's easier than using guns on my first play through! I'm smashing the shit out of Marauder Ring Leaders really early on. My aim is to just mindlessly bludgeon my way through the game like a drunk, winding people up with stupid talk. And still come out the hero!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I literally didn't use a melee weapon once, which did mean it was fairly easy to take one of the flaw perks at least.

I do want to do a couple of extra plays at some point though, one as a board stooge and one as the ultimate "fuck capitalism" guy.

It'd be nice if I could do this in a "new game plus" kinda style but that's ok.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I struggle to play story driven stuff these days so I've gone back to this in a concerted effort to progress it but there's a couple of things bugging me. Like the food. There's so much of it and it all lasts fuck all time. Are some of the boosters worth having and others not? I've been selling shit that doesn't seem worth bothering with, like alcohol (which I did in New Vegas as well, actually).

Also with companions I'm assuming there's no detriment to just recruiting all and sundry as they come along? I've only got Max, Parvati and now Felix. I'm assuming there'll only be like 5 or 6 companions through the game.

There are six companions in total, and each one has a perk you can apply that boosts a certain stat by +10. Makes it useful for certain missions where you might need, say, a jump in lock picking or persuasion. A couple of the companions prove useful in fights too. One in particular is overpowered to the point where using them feels like a cheat unlock, even on hard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I struggle to play story driven stuff these days so I've gone back to this in a concerted effort to progress it but there's a couple of things bugging me. Like the food. There's so much of it and it all lasts fuck all time. Are some of the boosters worth having and others not? I've been selling shit that doesn't seem worth bothering with, like alcohol (which I did in New Vegas as well, actually).

Yeah the whole consumables side of the game seems really undercooked (lolz). The buffs are really small and you're better off using armour mods for any skill point boosts.

I've sold everything that can't go into my healing pack and never had an issue.

• Upvote 1

Not only the consumables are undercooked, but also the gear. I haven't modded or upgraded anything for about 10 levels now only wielding/wearing what I find and have no problems surviving on Hard. My team mates on the other hand drop like flies :sherlock: Maybe I should get them some better stuff to use.

On 15/11/2019 at 09:38, Chadruharazzeb said:

So where's this patch, then? I was looking forward to being able to read the text from my sofa but there's still no option to enbiggen the puny writing. 

It's coming next week now :)

• Upvote 1

On 15/11/2019 at 06:59, glb said:

There are six companions in total, and each one has a perk you can apply that boosts a certain stat by +10.

Worth noting that they all actually boost three of your stats - specifically, the three stats that they themselves have given values for: the perk they can get just boosts one of said stats by another 10 points.

The amount they boost your skills by increases as you level up, and you can yourself get a perk which doubles the boost you get from them: by level twenty I was getting a bump of 30+ points across six stats courtesy of whichever party members I had accompanying me, which is incredibly useful. So, e.g., with Parvati on the team I have persuasion, lockpicking and engineering above 100, despite only having levelled each to 60 (engineering to 50) myself, which is particularly helpful as playing on Supernova means completely ignoring combat skills isn't really an option!

• Upvote 2