Jump to content
rllmuk
Revival

The Outer Worlds | Obsidian 2019

Recommended Posts

Really looking forward to this :D High expectations for this being more like New Vegas and less like Fallout 4! It being free on Game Pass day one and enhanced on top of that makes it all the sweeter :D

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this does well (and I'm probably buying it early full price), then maybe just maybe we'll get Alpha Protocol 2 (or hell, just a remaster of the first game), which is still the best RPG I've ever played that isn't Mass Effect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iirc Obsidian doesn't have the rights to the Alpha Protocol name (SEGA does), but there's nothing stopping them from making a sequel in all but name. Maybe now that dat Microsoft money allows them more freedom to take a chance on such projects, there is a bigger chance than ever before we could see a spiritual successor. God, I hope so. AP is :wub:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Really looking forward to this :D High expectations for this being more like New Vegas and less like Fallout 4! It being free on Game Pass day one and enhanced on top of that makes it all the sweeter :D

 

Yep, it's a definite download from me, especially if it's more New Vegas but with a space western vibe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really looking forward to this. The combat looks dynamic enough but not too complex and the art design isn't too busy, so everything is fairly easy to see and distinguish between. I like the idea of the different worlds all having a separate biome. I also like some of the choices they have made with faction influence and perks. The only worry that I have so far is mission variety and relevance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

iirc Obsidian doesn't have the rights to the Alpha Protocol name (SEGA does), but there's nothing stopping them from making a sequel in all but name. Maybe now that dat Microsoft money allows them more freedom to take a chance on such projects, there is a bigger chance than ever before we could see a spiritual successor. God, I hope so. AP is :wub:

Zeta Convention.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Really looking forward to this :D High expectations for this being more like New Vegas and less like Fallout 4! It being free on Game Pass day one and enhanced on top of that makes it all the sweeter :D

 

 

Considering Obsidian make New Vegas and had nothing to do with Fallout 4 you know its going to be like New Vegas and not like Fallout 4.

 

Now can I get a 'true to kaisar'?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Considering Obsidian make New Vegas and had nothing to do with Fallout 4 you know its going to be like New Vegas and not like Fallout 4

Yes I know that's why I'm all :omg:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giant Bomb has a 90 minute Quick Look with a guest appearance of two members of the development team. No story spoiler, just a slight talent/perk one

 

Spoiler

You can blunder your way through the game and speech checks by going dumb. The developer described it as "doing every conceivable thing wrong but still getting the correct answer"

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had no idea this was on Game Pass until last night. That’s absolutely incredible news. The game looks wonderful, and I can’t wait to play it.

 

I do enjoy games like Skyrim and Fallout, but it’s been a while since we had a really good one. Fingers crossed this delivers.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hoping this is great! Not a lot of games around for me this season and there's usually at least one game that grabs me! I will wait for the general consensus and reviews band make an informed decision like the responsible gamer I am. Or I might pre order tonight because I'm weak! 

 

Obsidian, don't let us down! It needs to be more fallout New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity than Alpha Protocol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not as open world as Fallout or Skyrim. It's smaller areas more like Borderlands 1&2 (don't know about 3). Apparently it's a much shorter game as well - 30/40 hours at most. Although I think that's a good think, personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It's not as open world as Fallout or Skyrim. It's smaller areas more like Borderlands 1&2 (don't know about 3). Apparently it's a much shorter game as well - 30/40 hours at most. Although I think that's a good think, personally. 

That's a good thing imo. Not just because I'm an old dad with precious little time, but because what made New Vegas awesome was the quest design, the writing, the flexibility. Wandering across mostly empty filler to get to the next quest-filled hub didn't add that much. What I'm interested in is the trademark play however you want to play RPG goodness that Obsidian at their best is known for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It's not as open world as Fallout or Skyrim. It's smaller areas more like Borderlands 1&2 (don't know about 3). Apparently it's a much shorter game as well - 30/40 hours at most. Although I think that's a good think, personally. 

The GB Quick Look addressed that. Or the members of the development team did. It’s designed for multiple playthoughs, back to back. Different choices, different approaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's a good thing imo. Not just because I'm an old dad with precious little time, but because what made New Vegas awesome was the quest design, the writing, the flexibility. Wandering across mostly empty filler to get to the next quest-filled hub didn't add that much. What I'm interested in is the trademark play however you want to play RPG goodness that Obsidian at their best is known for.

Most definitely. As much as I loved New Vegas, I doubt I could ever play it again because it's such a time sink. 

2 minutes ago, df0 said:

The GB Quick Look addressed that. Or the members of the development team did. It’s designed for multiple playthoughs, back to back. Different choices, different approaches.

That's awesome, didn't know that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on mobile now so I can not easily find the correct time stamp, but the entire 80 minute Quick Look is worth it. Barely anything that worthy of the tag spoiler.

 


The first 12 minutes is boring character creation, but they do mention perks and how those work.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, df0 said:

The GB Quick Look addressed that. Or the members of the development team did. It’s designed for multiple playthoughs, back to back. Different choices, different approaches.

Fantastic, exactly what I want to hear :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, df0 said:

I’m on mobile now so I can not easily find the correct time stamp, but the entire 80 minute Quick Look is worth it. Barely anything that worthy of the tag spoiler.

 


The first 12 minutes is boring character creation, but they do mention perks and how those work.

It's really good and got me hyped for the game but that 12 minutes of character creation I could do without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagerly awaiting the review embargo lifting on Tuesday. Already tempted to preorder because the game looks really good (and New Vegas was fantastic) but sensible head is saying wait a few more days to get an idea of whether the game delivers on its promise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the same boat. If the feedback is positive I'll place a neat little pre-order, not before.

I can not help but chuckle at those on this very forum who pre-ordered Fallout 76 "because it was 5 quid off!" and ended up with a product that... well... was Fallout 76. Do not blindly pre-order , we're smarter than that!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, df0 said:

I'm in the same boat. If the feedback is positive I'll place a neat little pre-order, not before.

I can not help but chuckle at those on this very forum who pre-ordered Fallout 76 "because it was 5 quid off!" and ended up with a product that... well... was Fallout 76. Do not blindly pre-order , we're smarter than that!

It's on Gamepass if you're on Xbox though, so there's no risk involved. Mine is already installed ready. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It's on Gamepass if you're on Xbox though, so there's no risk involved. Mine is already installed ready. 


Wishing I’d ordered an Xbone when I was last home. Gamepass is a great USP, but I’m already on PS4 and PS+.

 

Hoping Sony merge / revamp Now and + in the long-run. GP is a great way to showcase games, and even a couple of new titles like this make it worthwhile for the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, glb said:


Wishing I’d ordered an Xbone when I was last home. Gamepass is a great USP, but I’m already on PS4 and PS+.

 

Hoping Sony merge / revamp Now and + in the long-run. GP is a great way to showcase games, and even a couple of new titles like this make it worthwhile for the price.

Well, it's been a quid for three years worth of GP for a while now* so yeah I'd say it's very worthwhile :D

 

Meanwhile I'm trying to resist watching that QL. Even if it's spoiler free, the game is already installed and I want to go in as fresh as possible. 

 

(* there's a thing which allows you to buy 1 month GP for £1, but that one month converts your entire Gold sub to GP Ultimate - so if you've got 3 years left on Gold - or just bought a few sub codes as cheap as possible - you can get GP Ultimato for 3 years for 1 quid. If anyone in this thread has an XB1 and is interested in this game, I'd strongly advise considering doing this instead of buying this game or any other game really)

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Well, it's been a quid for three years worth of GP for a while now* so yeah I'd say it's very worthwhile :D

 

Meanwhile I'm trying to resist watching that QL. Even if it's spoiler free, the game is already installed and I want to go in as fresh as possible. 

 

(* there's a thing which allows you to buy 1 month GP for £1, but that one month converts your entire Gold sub to GP Ultimate - so if you've got 3 years left on Gold - or just bought a few sub codes as cheap as possible - you can get GP Ultimato for 3 years for 1 quid. If anyone in this thread has an XB1 and is interested in this game, I'd strongly advise considering doing this instead of buying this game or any other game really)

Treat it like a podcast then. The devs provide some neat little insight in perks and such that might help you in choosing a path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Stevie said:

 

Considering Obsidian make New Vegas and had nothing to do with Fallout 4 you know its going to be like New Vegas and not like Fallout 4.

 

Now can I get a 'true to kaisar'?

 

 

 

 

Woah! I don't remember that fella at all?

Did he not appear in my game because I took a different path (I seem to remember killing those roman-type guys), or have I just forgotten?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Well, it's been a quid for three years worth of GP for a while now* so yeah I'd say it's very worthwhile :D

 

Meanwhile I'm trying to resist watching that QL. Even if it's spoiler free, the game is already installed and I want to go in as fresh as possible. 

 

(* there's a thing which allows you to buy 1 month GP for £1, but that one month converts your entire Gold sub to GP Ultimate - so if you've got 3 years left on Gold - or just bought a few sub codes as cheap as possible - you can get GP Ultimato for 3 years for 1 quid. If anyone in this thread has an XB1 and is interested in this game, I'd strongly advise considering doing this instead of buying this game or any other game really)


Not going to lie, looked at 1X prices... sensible head has temporarily left the building...

 

£275. FFS sensible head.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.