IGNORED

The Outer Worlds | Obsidian 2019

Revival

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's not a set thing, it seems to be 3 or 4 styles mashed up into one. It's part Nouveau, part late 1800s frontier bill posters kind of thing, part futurism. I guess you could basically say it's a mash up of art styles from about 1850 to 1920.

Personally I love it. Hope they do an Art Of.

Yeah, there's certainly some Mucha in the loading art I've seen, together with some later stuff. I'd agree -- lovely aesthetic.

29 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Tried running it maxed out at 4K at first (60fps). Frame rate drops all over the shop. Lowering shadows helped but still choppy.

Possible framepacing bug?

If it's any consolation I'm on an i9900, with the rest the same as yours, and mine doesn't run at 4k60 unless I go for Very High instead of Ultra, and even then there are some drops out in the wild.  I've found Ultra settings at 1440p to be a good sweet spot, especially as the game's TAA smears the image anyway - so very little discernible difference between 1440p and 4k. Still get the odd bit of hitching here and there, mind you. 

I found interiors to be much more 4k friendly. And to be honest, 4k60 with Very High is mostly workable for me, but my fans get a bit loud, not mental like they've done in the past, just generally loud. At ultra and 1440p the fan volume is fine, and the game runs near perfectly. :)

1 minute ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'm playing 4k very high on a 2070ti with the 3D resolution at 70% and it gives a lovely sharp image with loads of headroom to keep a nice smooth 60fps.

Yay PC talk!!

In terms of game, it seems very Bethesda RPG of the 360 era to me so far. It's okay but I'm waiting to be wowed.

I'm yet to try that out, actually. 

A few .ini tweaks can clean up the PC version quite a bit. You can paste the below into the address bar of File Explorer to locate the Gamepass version's config files:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

Then affix the below to the bottom of the 'Engine' file using a text editor:

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.2
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.0

That will disable chromatic abberation, up the texture filtering and tighten up the temporal anti-aliasing to be less smeary. These changes should have negligible impact on performance.

You can keep an eye on the PC Gaming Wiki page for more tweaks.

1 hour ago, David Kenny said:

I hadn't played the game when I read this but having played it now, I don't think the style is futurism.

It seems to be a pastiche of much earlier advertising (turn of the century) based on Art Nouveau.

Retrofuturism is a bit of a mishmash of styles from around that period, I can see the odd flourish that feels a bit Art Nouveau but I'd really struggle to describe the the game as belonging to that style in its entirety - Art Nouveau is much more elaborate and ornate. There's elements of Futurism, some Nouveau with strong influences from advertising and film posters from the early 20th Century, themselves a pastiche of prevailing art styles of the time.

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'm playing 4k very high on a 2070ti with the 3D resolution at 70% and it gives a lovely sharp image with loads of headroom to keep a nice smooth 60fps.

Yay PC talk!!

In terms of game, it seems very Bethesda RPG of the 360 era to me so far. It's okay but I'm waiting to be wowed.

What’s 3D resolution?

Also, why do devs these days all love chromatic aberration? I can’t stand it. 

Just now, Gizamaluke said:

The resolution the game renders at then upscales (whilst keeping the HUD native).

So at 70% of 4k I'm getting 2688 x 1512 upscaled with all HUD elements 4k native. Looks much better than 1440p native imo.

I’ve seen this referred to as render resolution or internal, when did they start calling it 3D? I don’t know what’s 3D about it. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

If it's any consolation I'm on an i9900, with the rest the same as yours, and mine doesn't run at 4k60 unless I go for Very High instead of Ultra, and even then there are some drops out in the wild.  I've found Ultra settings at 1440p to be a good sweet spot, especially as the game's TAA smears the image anyway - so very little discernible difference between 1440p and 4k. Still get the odd bit of hitching here and there, mind you. 

I run 4K with res scale at 80%. All settings Ultra. No dips below 60 and still looks gorgeous.

I started this on Saturday, playing on Supernova because I like survival games, and have to say I'm really enjoying this. The survival elements are too basic to have any real impact but the difficulty has been brutal with light armour and I've died so many times that I take all fights cautiously. Only having on save point on the ship has meant many many runs across the map after each death. 

Someone here (Phelan?) reported that they had "all the companions" but I've only had two so far and they're both dead (their deaths are permanent on Supernova). 

So after about 10-15 hours wracked up in Edgewater over the weekend I finally got the ship fixed last night, got to the next area, and spent a couple of hours talking to everyone, hoovering up their quests, whilst exploring every where and practicing pickpocketing where ever possible. I now have at least 10 quests to be done and no idea what to do first. I cannot understand how people are getting through the game so quickly, or why they'd want to, there''s so much to see, hear, and read.

I can't believe this has gone straight to Gamepass. The amount I shall get from this with multiple playtrhoughs, well I feel like I've stolen the game.

28 minutes ago, deKay said:

And is it really Skyrim in Space like I’ve seen it described?

Not unless Skyrim turned into a dialog-and-consequence heavy RPG filled with black humour while I wasn't looking. It's very much Fallout in space, and when I say Fallout, I mean the good ones (you know; 1, 2 and New Vegas), not the Bethesda muck or the weird spin-offs.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

So I’ve avoided the thread in case of spoilers but is this actually good then? And is it really Skyrim in Space like I’ve seen it described?

It's not as epic in scope as Skyrim. If you're expecting wide open spaces then this isn't it.

What it is, is those experiences pulled together more for a tighter experience.

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

So it’s closer to, say, KOTOR or Mass Effect?

Yup. It's Fallout New Vegas in basic style but the areas are more self contained like a map in KOTOR or ME. You travel between planets and space stations and stuff doing Fallout things.

There's still plenty of opportunity to wander around looking for hidden stuff though

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

You completed the whole game in eight hours?? Just the main quest? It was 12 hours before I left Edgewater. :blink:

Yes, main quest only. 

On my second playthrough, I've probably stayed in Edgewater for 8 hours. 

That's rinsing any side quests I found. 

Murderous tendencies crept back in again, as soon as I was on Groundbreaker. 

Probably because it's crawling with cunts.