rllmuk
Revival

The Outer Worlds | Obsidian 2019

7 minutes ago, Curtis said:

@BennyDump all your crap in the ships locker as discussed above.

That's great, if you're near your ship. Its still a massive inconvenience otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

Unlocking TTD 'location hit effects' seems to be tied to the melee skill tree, unless I'm missing something. Does anyone know if it works the way VATS does - game freezes and you select a body part to attack with a percentage attached to each, for ranged guns as well as melee weapons - before I dump 30 points into the melee skill tree I'd intended to completely ignore? :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's great, if you're near your ship. Its still a massive inconvenience otherwise. 

True, and i hate it as a gameplay mechanic. But my build is spec'd for STR so I've not had an issue yet.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

Buy a PC, they said. It's the master race, they said. Funny, if I was on console, I could actually play the fucking game. £2,000 to sit staring at a fucking title screen. For seasons. 

Have to agree. Inconveniencing the player in the name of 'realism' is absolute bullshit when the game you're playing is about spaceships or dragons. If people want realism, they only need to step outside their front door. 

Doubly stupid when it's a fucking necklace that finally cripples you

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Unlocking TTD 'location hit effects' seems to be tied to the melee skill tree, unless I'm missing something. Does anyone know if it works the way VATS does - game freezes and you select a body part to attack with a percentage attached to each, for ranged guns as well as melee weapons - before I dump 30 points into the melee skill tree I'd intended to completely ignore? :unsure:

it slows down, you shoot things, there’s no visible percentage but your opponents collapse in a heap.  But different stats for melee and ranged weapons.

Had another hard lock. 

Just got to Roseway and the bit about:

Spoiler

Diet toothpaste was pretty good. 

27 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

There is no game freezing. It slows down time. 

The location hit effects in the melee tree are when using melee weapons. Location hit effects for ranges are in the ranged skill tree and unlocked at 20 points, IIRC. 

If it helps Thor, signing our of game pass and restarting then signing in made it work for me. Given how shite the MS Store is I'm not surprised the XBox app is a bit odd.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, footle said:

it slows down, you shoot things, there’s no visible percentage but your opponents collapse in a heap.  But different stats for melee and ranged weapons.

18 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Had another hard lock. 

Just got to Roseway and the bit about:

Reveal hidden contents

Diet toothpaste was pretty good. 

There is no game freezing. It slows down time. 

The location hit effects in the melee tree are when using melee weapons. Location hit effects for ranges are in the ranged skill tree and unlocked at 20 points, IIRC. 

So there's no selecting specific body parts from a menu with hit percentages a la Fallout 3 VATS? I'm way past level 20 ranged and nothing like that is happening.

I just started this tonight. It reminds me of those old adventure films they show on Sundays, like The Land That Time Forgot. I like it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Level up your hacking skill and sell it to vending machines; they're everywhere. You can label anything you don't want as junk and sell it in one action.

Or break low-level weapons and armour down for parts. With a high enough engineering skill, you don't need to be at a bench. Select the item and choose 'options'.

Or install a backpack armour mod and get the +50kilo perk.

3 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

Some spoilers for Edgewater and Reed Tobson

Reveal hidden contents

If you choose to kill Reed Tobson, his hat will be sitting on the obsidian skull in your captains quarter. It has a + 7 Dialog modifier, and I gave it to Vicar Max whose vicar dress also carries a + 4 to dialog, so + 11 in total. He also adds to your Intimidate skill, and I think its funny to have him look like a proper thug with the bowler hat and a shotgun, as well as his priestly attire.

Also: «Its in fucking French!» and then go on to have his personal quest based on finding the one, single living person in the galaxy that still speaks the language. I like him, hes a standup guy.

I totally routed the power to the Botanical settlement and shot Tobson in the face after finishing the quest, but then I read that you can find Eugenes gold teeth somewhere at the Botanical plant so I guess theyre all assholes. Tobson also dropped the keycard to his place on top of the cannery but the elevator was sealed off by that time so I never got there.

Ah, that situation never came up for me.

I diverted power to

the lab

and when I went back to town I

persuaded him to make his men stand down

which I presume means I can’t get that item now :(

If you're having to invest in skills in the game to fix an inconvenience in the design rather than spend them on fun stuff, it's a shit part of the design. If you are forced to move things from one abstract menu to another arbitrarily so that you can pick up more items, that's not a solution, it's a boring, time-wasting job. Which is kind of ironic in this.

• Downvote 3
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Benny said:

If you're having to invest in skills in the game to fix an inconvenience in the design rather than spend them on fun stuff, it's a shit part of the design. If you are forced to move things from one abstract menu to another arbitrarily so that you can pick up more items, that's not a solution, it's a boring, time-wasting job. Which is kind of ironic in this.

have you ever played an RPG before?

* pick less stuff up, or dismantle it into weapon and armour parts.

* make some choices

It’s nowhere near as bad in this as it has been in previous (fallout) games: at least here you can carry multiple weapons of each type, and multiple sets of armour, before getting overencumbered, rather than just one change of each.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Ah, that situation never came up for me.

I diverted power to

Hide contents

the lab

and when I went back to town I

Hide contents

persuaded him to make his men stand down

which I presume means I can’t get that item now :(

I guess not, unless he shows up again at some point. It doesnt look like we can travel back to the first planet after taking off from there.

The game is very generous with armour and weapon finds. Mostly weapons.

I started on hard and it's certainly worth this route. The combat is not too tough at the moment. I've died a few times, yet only by being surrounded.

The hunting rifle is a great use early on but boy - that plasma rifle is punchy. It eats through enemies early on.

I'm enjoying the gun play, it's pretty decent. It's a good choice not having VATS because otherwise it changes the game. It also now stands out on its own as a different title, and feel. Yes the gun play and combat is better, because it has to be without VATS - which hides a multitude of sins.

The game reminds me a little of Oblivion. Because it's tight/you can walk 10-15 seconds and happen upon more baddies or something to do. It certainly has that more confined feel. I kind of prefer a more open world experience - even Dragons Dogma - however this suits the world and keeps you on your toes.

I'm still deciding what to do on diverting the power. It's a really tough choice! I don't usually think this much about such choices - so I stopped playing last night to consider it.

Perhaps the last game/s to give me such a choice, that connected with me, was the Mass Effect series. ME 2 was the better game, but I am still bitter about sacrificing Ashley in number 1. Still. Even through to ME3 - when Kaidan was still around. His very presence reminds me of what I did, and it makes me dislike him more. Seeing him injured near the start, it annoyed me even further. Won't be die already? Doesn't he know what we lost to keep him around? Literally no concience with the guy. To think there are romance options with him. As if. I want to call him an idiot and tell him I made the wrong choice. It's endgame all over again.

Bitter Segway aside, I'm wondering if this will come close to the ME games in character and my own decision making/consequences.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Just booted up my PC again in hope that MS has sorted their shit out. 

Nope, still can't play. Fucking Microsoft. :rolleyes: Proper useless. 

Whats wrong?

11 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Turned the difficulty down to Normal. Much nicer.

And I just figured out you can go back to Edgewater by choosing Terra 2 on the galaxy map.

difficulty is all over the place.

As an elevator operator, Penelope’s arms had wasted away so I was never going to be much use with a melee weapon, and had to focus on her use of guns to survive dangerous situations (like Donald Trump getting into her elevator).

But the starting pistol was basically useless against any group of bad guys on Hard.

The modded, scoped assault rifle she built as soon as possible after half an hour of dying outside the

Spoiler

Community centre

on terra 2

however, just chews bad guys up. As does the light machine gun.

and now she’s not dying at all and hard seems fine.

8 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I just started this tonight. It reminds me of those old adventure films they show on Sundays, like The Land That Time Forgot. I like it.

Sold

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, footle said:

difficulty is all over the place.

As an elevator operator, Penelope’s arms had wasted away so I was never going to be much use with a melee weapon, and had to focus on her use of guns to survive dangerous situations (like Donald Trump getting into her elevator).

But the starting pistol was basically useless against any group of bad guys on Hard.

The modded, scoped assault rifle she built as soon as possible after half an hour of dying outside the

Reveal hidden contents

Community centre

on terra 2

however, just chews bad guys up. As does the light machine gun.

and now she’s not dying at all and hard seems fine.

There was one quest on 

Spoiler

The Groundbreaker where you have to neutralise the fugitive in the lower decks

that made me turn the difficulty down. I reckoned there would be more spikes like that through the game.

5 hours ago, footle said:

have you ever played an RPG before?

* pick less stuff up, or dismantle it into weapon and armour parts.

* make some choices

It’s nowhere near as bad in this as it has been in previous (fallout) games: at least here you can carry multiple weapons of each type, and multiple sets of armour, before getting overencumbered, rather than just one change of each.

Oh it's not ruining the game or anything, but when it's the only real annoyance in an otherwise enjoyable game it just stands out so much more. I really do think they could have binned off encumbrance and the game could only have been improved. There's nothing worse than the sinking feeling of slowing down after you've looted something while exploring, knowing you'll then have to go straight into your menus to deal with it somehow until you can progress. It just breaks the flow of play. But if that's the only thing I can fault with it so far it's clearly doing a lot right.

11 hours ago, El Spatula said:

If it helps Thor, signing our of game pass and restarting then signing in made it work for me. Given how shite the MS Store is I'm not surprised the XBox app is a bit odd.

Thanks, that actually worked for me, but only after a proper reboot. 

Sorry yeah that's what I meant by restart, reboot. The Xbox app doesn't seem to like sleep mode much. I've had to do it a couple of times before especially with pre-loads .

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Benny said:

Oh it's not ruining the game or anything, but when it's the only real annoyance in an otherwise enjoyable game it just stands out so much more. I really do think they could have binned off encumbrance and the game could only have been improved. There's nothing worse than the sinking feeling of slowing down after you've looted something while exploring, knowing you'll then have to go straight into your menus to deal with it somehow until you can progress. It just breaks the flow of play. But if that's the only thing I can fault with it so far it's clearly doing a lot right.

Ditching it could well upset the economy.

Probable knock on effects:

- requirement to lower sales prices

- now need to pick more stuff up

- those who do not pick as much stuff up alienated, find it harder without doing something they don't want to do

- inventory management becomes a nightmare

- may as well have auto collect button/things are always picked up

- game becomes less about looking/searching for things

- people complain and ask for an inventory limit

5 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

I guess not, unless he shows up again at some point. It doesnt look like we can travel back to the first planet after taking off from there.

I haven’t left yet, I stopped playing after finishing (presumably) all the quests. I’m gonna see if he’s still around somewhere...

17 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Thats was the rationale behind the decision to 

Hide contents

execute him, so he couldnt go off and run a cannery somewhere else.

Was that a conversation choice/path?

44 minutes ago, Hamus said:

- people complain and ask for an inventory limit

I can guarantee no player will have ever asked for such a thing in the history of the internet.