rllmuk
Revival

The Outer Worlds | Obsidian 2019

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

PSA!

If you're playing on PC set Screen Effects to Low. There is some kind of horrible smearing effect from whatever anti aliasing they are using on the game and if you turn it off it's much less blurry looking.

The culprit Is the god awful TAA developers insist on using, which yeah eliminates jaggys, but as a side effect induces blurriness and smearing.  There is a work around to disable Anti aliasing if you wanna give it a try.  

https://errorfixer.co/fix-the-outer-worlds-game-looks-blurry-disable-taa-dof/

Tried it and makes image look nicer as its no longer blurry.  But looks to jaggy and no way to replace it with another AA solution so will have to put up with the TAA for now. 

Other than that loving the game, didn`t think i was gonna like it but obsidian have really delivered the goods on this.  Love the setting and combat system.

Minor complaint but I hate the way that you draw your weapon every time you tap square to talk to somebody.  Really should have been hold square to draw.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

2 minutes ago, Hodge said:

The culprit Is the god awful TAA developers insist on using, which yeah eliminates jaggys, but as a side effect induces blurriness and smearing.  There is a work around to disable Anti aliasing if you wanna give it a try.  

Tried it and makes image look nicer as its no longer blurry.  But looks to jaggy and no way to replace it with another AA solution so will have to put up with the TAA for now. 

Other than that loving the game, didn`t think i was gonna like it but obsidian have really delivered the goods on this.  Love the setting and combat system.

I'm surprised they didn't at least give the usual FXAA and MSAA options, because it looks shit.

1 minute ago, sdmilne said:

Minor complaint but I hate the way that you draw your weapon every time you tap square to talk to somebody.  Really should have been hold square to draw.

It’s a known bug. It’s not supposed to draw if you’re interacting with someone. 

5 hours ago, df0 said:

Hmm, that does look like it's now what I assumed it was.

Can't help you right now, am at work with no access to the game. Will check this evening.

FWIW, my current thought is around temporal anti aliasing. Ghosting in other places when moving around, can be seen around the gun. 

I like what I've played so far (spoken to the barber) but as my house is like a Primary School edition of GLOW I keep having to pause it so progress is very slow.

Wait, I can holster my weapon!?

• Empathy 1

4 hours ago, Benny said:

This always disappoints me about most Xbox 1 X and Pro releases. They have the horsepower to make 1080p60fps an option instead of 4k or for those without a 4k TV anyway, but they always go for less responsive framerates as default. Sekiro is a good example: by all accounts it sounds like it plays far better at 60fps, which would be possible on both enhanced machines, but instead they go for variable framerates at 4k. It feels like it would be easier to ensure it runs properly at 1080p than at 4k as well. The visual difference in my experience is slight enough to not make the trade-off worth it.

GPU power perhaps. Unfortunately the potato CPU has other ideas. The next gen Ryzen based machines cannot come soon enough.

26 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

FWIW, my current thought is around temporal anti aliasing. Ghosting in other places when moving around, can be seen around the gun. 

Yeah it is caused by the TAA solution they are using.  I tried scrolling the text at the terminal up and down, no issues with TAA disabled.  Shame they didn`t offer smaa or msaa as a alternative (fxaa is just as bad)  It was my main gripe with gears 5 aswell.

28 minutes ago, wev said:

I like what I've played so far (spoken to the barber) but as my house is like a Primary School edition of GLOW I keep having to pause it so progress is very slow.

Wait, I can holster my weapon!?

Hold the reload button. Square on PS4, not sure about the other formats.

37 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It’s a known bug. It’s not supposed to draw if you’re interacting with someone. 

Which affects everyone? Or is it caused by doing something then you end up stuck with it? Hope they fix it regardless.

20 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

Which affects everyone? Or is it caused by doing something then you end up stuck with it? Hope they fix it

Its not affecting everyone. I haven’t got it. 

1 hour ago, sdmilne said:

If you hold it for a second it doesn't do it. Also, there's no point talking to anyone who doesn't have a named name. Guards, workers etc don't say anything of note. All the named characters go into a dialogue. 

1 hour ago, Hodge said:

Just to add to this: I found if I change the file outlined above with the fix in question, completely removing AA with the fix makes it look really awful with jaggies, BUT if you just put the Screen Effects setting to Low it seems to put on AA but at a very minimal level, so you don't get the aggressive blur effect but with no jaggies. So I'd go with that instead of the file tweak to be honest.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a fix for textures in the distance looking utterly shite and low resolution until you walk towards them. Which is extremely weird because if you then back away to the same distance as before they look sharp and high resolution. Technically accomplished this game ain't.

• Upvote 1

Example on the moon with the hat billboard (first pic when first entering the area, second pic after walking towards it then backing away again):

Spoiler

tow2.jpgtow3.jpg

1 minute ago, Moz said:

If you hold it for a second it doesn't do it. Also, there's no point talking to anyone who doesn't have a named name. Guards, workers etc don't say anything of note. All the named characters go into a dialogue. 

I love the videogameness of this. I find myself conciously looking people up and down, looking for a generic title before dismissing them for not being worthy of my time. Occasionally I will talk to a random, just to make it feel a bit more fair. Either way the idea of just going up to every random person and saying hi is also incredibly videogamey. Almost as good as walking up to a couple of people listening to their conversation for a minute, then moving on. It would be nice for games to eventually handle this in a more natural way. Anyway, in this, the in-conversation interactions are so good, I can give it a pass.

1 hour ago, Hodge said:

Yeah it is caused by the TAA solution they are using.  I tried scrolling the text at the terminal up and down, no issues with TAA disabled.  Shame they didn`t offer smaa or msaa as a alternative (fxaa is just as bad)  It was my main gripe with gears 5 aswell.

Ta. On PS4, so bugger all I can do. 

Another benefit of setting the screen effects to low is it gets rid of that ridicous amount of chromatic aberration! Really the options menu is poor, and needs individual settings for the things in each bit, and it would help if the fov slider was in graphics like it should be!

Games alrite tho init!

40 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

Another benefit of setting the screen effects to low is it gets rid of that ridicous amount of chromatic aberration! Really the options menu is poor, and needs individual settings for the things in each bit, and it would help if the fov slider was in graphics like it should be!

Games alrite tho init!

You can remove CA with:

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

At the end of engine.ini

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Just to add to this: I found if I change the file outlined above with the fix in question, completely removing AA with the fix makes it look really awful with jaggies, BUT if you just put the Screen Effects setting to Low it seems to put on AA but at a very minimal level, so you don't get the aggressive blur effect but with no jaggies. So I'd go with that instead of the file tweak to be honest.

Cheers will give it a try now.

Day one’s session done. Got as far as the first big decision and a heap of side quests.

Taking my time exploring and savouring as much of the surroundings as possible.

Was initially worried with the game on hard when the first couple of shoot-outs ended quickly and not in my favour, but even at level 6 already feel pretty confident against anything around Edgewater. Certainly no Deathclaw-type enemy to flee from and have nightmares about, but one area - with creature displays - hints at something nasty on another planet. We shall see.

Opted to route power to Edgewater. Figured they had a better chance of survival with a well-armoured town already in place. Now have an option to persuade the deserters to go back. Will deal with that on Sunday. Hopefully finishing the side quests in their camp will turn out to be a positive in the long run.

Love the sarcastic tone in some of the replies available. Writing is a standout so far, makes reading terminals and logs worthwhile and adds plenty of character to an already charming game.

Also impressed my Pro has barely made a sound in around eight hours of play. Was expecting a hurricane but not a peep. And no jank yet either!

So far, so impressive :wub:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Started this on Supernova. Bloody hell it’s hard! Not even gotten past the first lot of marauders after three attempts. :blink:

Took me a couple of goes on hard. Used dodge and kept moving as much as possible, pausing only to line up head shots when the TTD bar refilled.

Aiming for an enemy’s legs is also really useful when you get overrun, and gives you a bit of time to get to a better position.

• Upvote 1

I just noticed something, something you lot might have discovered a long time ago. Obsidian are good at creating characters (npc's) that are easy to hate and easy to love. Making things black and white makes it easier to make a choice that has an emotional impact on you, and thus is more rewarding. 

There are so many games today that feeds you the narrative of whats right or wrong and that doesn't work well unless its Half Life 2 or Halo: combat evolved. 

Well this is good so far. First couple of hours and I have

Spoiler

just sentenced a small town to death so I can fly my ship around

Harsh. 

Not my normal bag but it’s pretty accessible so far. No real idea what to do with all the loot yet - might hit a few of those “wtf?” YouTube primers to help me through, but yeah. Good. Weird, but good weird. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1