rllmuk
Revival

The Outer Worlds | Obsidian 2019

11 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Definitely haven't tried a start up repair. Should maybe look into it.

It's for boot up troubleshooting, but there's a chance it also fixes whatever part of Windows isn't working right for your system that blocks the update. Good luck man, it's frustrating I know, but once you're up and Game Passing it's all worth it.

Sorry for the tech talk everyone else :)

• Upvote 1

This makes my Xbox get really loud. 

Early screenshot:

Spoiler

254-EB7-F0-7-A24-4425-977-C-DABED9-C96-B

It feels so different to the utter borefest that was Fallout 4. Very familiar in many ways, in terms of controls and inventory stuff, but different enough to feel like it’s own thing. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Christ, can't people wait a matter of mere hours? I've seen less impatient children on Xmas mornings.

Hot take - midnight launches are wank. Games are usually not that important to book time off and/or lose sleep over.

My plans for midnight launches these days ends up with going to bed at about 9pm, waking up anywhere between 3am-5am, and then smashing out a couple of hours before driving in. Works out as I feel fully awake, but early evening access (like Destiny's expansions and this NZ console trick) is better for more play time and sleep overall.

As for Outer Worlds: with New Vegas being the current best game of the decade, I'm coming into this cautiously optimistic. I'm glad it's reviewing well, though. 80-something on an obsidian game has always struck gold when I got around to digging in, it's looking no different here.

Ok, so this had me sign up for that gamepass thing on pc.

I love the premise of it but I have never liked Fallout so could be interesting. That said I only played Fallout 4 and thought it was just a bit rubbish in every way but that’s another conversation entirely.

I was all in for this, then all out but as so cheap I may as well give it a whirl. I’m really hoping to be magically drawn in to it as it does sound great.

@Comrade oops sorry friend! Glad you're enjoying the Outer Wilds.

First impressions, I like the comedy and presentation during character creation. I started to play the story and had to stop because I am so ill and tired and it was making my head swim, so I've had a couple of hours sleep, hopefully I'll be able to play a bit later. :(

• Empathy 2

@Thor Probably worth playing on PC just to avoid the loading times. 

Also seem to be some world loading issues on console. When sprinting too fast for too long, the whole world freezes and you get a loading wheel. 

Already found some power armour:

Spoiler

GbtEpMb.jpg

Is it just me or does this game not support instant on resuming on Xbox? Every time I switch it off I come back and have to relaunch it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Siri said:

Hot take - midnight launches are wank. Games are usually not that important to book time off and/or lose sleep over.

My plans for midnight launches these days ends up with going to bed at about 9pm, waking up anywhere between 3am-5am, and then smashing out a couple of hours before driving in. Works out as I feel fully awake, but early evening access (like Destiny's expansions and this NZ console trick) is better for more play time and sleep overall.

Did you not play Anthem?

Only about 30 minutes into this, but I'm enjoying it already. My guy is a persuasive, melee toting rogue with a heart of gold. Loved the opening section. :D 

Holy shit this is good. Take your time and take it all in. Only thing that has annoyed/I've changed is the difficulty. I started on normal but the combat was way too easy so I've bumped it to hard.

• Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

Downloading on PC now. :)

I know no-one else wants to know but can you let us know what the options are like, particularly UWS support.

Oooh. I'm curious why you're asking that, you have a 65" C9, don't you? 

The game is installed, but of course I can't play until midnight. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oooh. I'm curious why you're asking that, you have a 65" C9, don't you? 

The game is installed, but of course I can't play until midnight. 

I've got a 65" E7 but that's for tele and console only. For PC I play on this monster:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-crg9-dual-qhd-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49rg90ssnxza/

And yes it really is as ridiculous as it looks. ;) 

1 hour ago, Len said:

I've got a 65" E7 but that's for tele and console only. For PC I play on this monster:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-crg9-dual-qhd-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49rg90ssnxza/

And yes it really is as ridiculous as it looks. ;) 

Good christ!

In other news, I'm quite distressed to have the game preloaded and ready, only for my dad to be paying a visit - he'll be waiting for me at the station when I get off work tomorrow, and is planning on staying until Sunday, so no weekend Outer Worlds marathon for me :( 

• Empathy 6

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I've always hated Melee in the Fallout games but it's a lot more fun and effective in this.

I've just finished the main Edgewater quest. Just cleaning up a few bits and bobs.

Spoiler

Which way did you go? I transferred power from Edgewater.

4 hours ago, Hamus said:

Did you not play Anthem?

I did! I also subbed to Origin Access and binned it after one month, because I'm not mental :D

X-Box version was ready to play very quickly - It's only like 10GB for it to pop, and you get a fair couple of hours of the game for that from what I've played (mainly dawdling through the main quest and taking on a couple of side missions). Certainly is one of the better implementations of that feature.

As for the game, I was a bit concerned by how linear it is at the start, but once you get into town and start taking on a couple of jobs I'm starting to get that warm fuzzy feeling I get from... well, breaking into properties and stealing everyone's shit in a videogame.

Gunplay does feel a bit spray and pray for the minute, though - the VATS-alike seems to give bonus status effects, but it doesn't just straight up lock onto targets for some X-Com "80% to explode someone's head" shenanigans. Unfortunate yet expected, but it might be just that I'm very early in.

Oh well, back on it tomorrow for the PC version!

• Upvote 1

@Len I couldn't see any Scottish resolution options I'm afraid.

The game itself in 4k is fucking lovely. Love the opening. I'm going for high intelligence, charm, and science. 

• Upvote 1

Annoyed I have to go to bed, I am pretty taken with this after 90 minutes or so. It does feel very much like a New Vegas sequel, which is brilliant. 

I like the idea of penalties which disable certain gameplay elements if your skills are below average, good way to max out the rpgness if you want. 

This is fantastic so far, about 90 mins in.  It's like an incredibly polished Fallout New Vegas, the writing is brilliant.  It's very easy so far on Normal though, the only thing I'm having to worry about is ammo levels, so maybe Hard or Supernova is the way to go.  The latter sounds like it has more systems to consider, like hunger, thirst & fatigue.

In case anyone else has had this - whenever I'm at a workbench I see an Impact Hammer which I can mod, but it doesn't appear in my inventory to equip - could that be because of my skill points allocation?

Untitled.thumb.png.f5bfad7940557906cfeec927e3d46119.png

Wont be playing this until later tonight and I cannot wait. I really have been struggling to get into anything recently and I am hoping this is the one that does it for me.