rllmuk
Revival

Mortal Kombat 11 | April 23rd 2019

41 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Will I lose my progress? My save is backed up somewhere, right

Which console are on? Or is it pc? I'm assuming you don't have any problems with other games?

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Which console are on? Or is it pc? I'm assuming you don't have any problems with other games?

Xbox. Seems to have sorted itself out today. God knows what was going on...

12 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Xbox. Seems to have sorted itself out today. God knows what was going on...

Sometimes the Xbox can shit itself and needs a reset or to set the connection up again. Anyway as long as it's working yay!

I have been playing this some more over the weekend, and am enjoying it.

I have to say, the sound/music in it is incredible. I have it running with that Dolby Atmos app and some of the bass and surround effects are stunning.

The Krypt, although I am not a fan of the unlocking procedure, does look fantastic as well.

36 minutes ago, Sumire said:

I have been playing this some more over the weekend, and am enjoying it.

I have to say, the sound/music in it is incredible. I have it running with that Dolby Atmos app and some of the bass and surround effects are stunning.

The Krypt, although I am not a fan of the unlocking procedure, does look fantastic as well.

I bet its quality playing with the Dolby Atmos on, late at night, in the dark, and then you pop on that blindfold...!!!

It gets me everytime even with my standard DTS.

Are there guides available online somewhere that help you with the characters' longer combo strings?  The advanced tutorials only do a couple for a few characters...

I haven't bought the game solely because ive read this article that said there are some issues with excessive grind and I simply don't have the time to grind through boring gameplay. How do you guys feel about that, or has it been fixed already?

It's one of the best fighters of all time in my opinion. 

The game has been patched a few times and the grind has gotten a lot better since week 1.  You can always just let your AI fight the towers and collect money while you do other stuff.

Get it.

39 minutes ago, Pharad said:

I haven't bought the game solely because ive read this article that said there are some issues with excessive grind and I simply don't have the time to grind through boring gameplay. How do you guys feel about that, or has it been fixed already?

One persons Grind is another persons Game Longevity.

Its not a game I will play constantly, but its great fun playing my kids local vs. thats worth the price tag alone.

1 hour ago, Pharad said:

It hasn't been fixed yet as far as I can tell, but I never got the game at launch, so it may have improved since then. They did give you some money etc so you can unlock more content in the Kryp. That free gift doesn't really go far, but it is better than nothing at this stage.

The game is still great. My only complaints outside the "grind" (but some people like stuff like that) is the weak colour swap skins and some pretty bad voice acting by one person. As a fighting game it is pretty impressive content wise from launch in my opinion. The story mode is pretty mad, but totally awesome as well. The graphics in the story mode look amazing, but this unfortunately doesn't seem to transfer to the graphics they use in the openers to fights or fatalities etc.

2 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Are there guides available online somewhere that help you with the characters' longer combo strings?  The advanced tutorials only do a couple for a few characters...

Testyourmight is the go-to for combos, strategies etc in NRS games:

https://testyourmight.com/forums/

Early days just now obviously but it's still a great resource. Other than that I just type mk11 and the character name to YouTube most of the time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Testyourmight is the go-to for combos, strategies etc in NRS games:

https://testyourmight.com/forums/

Early days just now obviously but it's still a great resource. Other than that I just type mk11 and the character name to YouTube most of the time.

Thanks for that.  Exactly what I was looking for.

Quick clarifications - I'm assuming 'xx' means cancel and 'ex' means amplify correct?

Yeah they do. Some of the abbreviations vary between the different character forums but they tend to provide a list of what each means or you can figure it out in the context of the combo.

Coming from Street Fighter the combos take a bit of getting used to. You almost always have to input the entire string of buttons ahead of time. Even with jump-in combos you press the next attack before you actually land. I'm still in the habit of pressing the next button when the previous one hits, like how chain "target" combos work in Street Fighter.

Release Hold (aka Negative Edge) is in plenty of traditional fighting games; releasing a button after performing a special movie's motion will accept that button release as an input and perform the move for you. It seems overly generous in MK11 however so I've had to turn it off to avoid getting incorrect specials in error (likely still my error).

The other concept I'm taking a bit of time to adjust to is that link combos dont really exist. Even if you hit the opponent with a move which does enough hitstun to prevent them from acting before your next move connects they will always have the choice to block. This means things like a crouching kick into a projectile will not be a "true" combo since the opponent will be able to block the second part of it. Since chip damage is a big factor in the game this means you use these opportunities to mixup between more guaranteed chip damage, throws or leaving a gap big enough to tempt a button out of your opponent and counter them. At least that's my basic understanding at the moment.

I'm enjoying it a lot; far more than other games in the series. I'm not very good at the moment but theres plenty of players online who are just as bad so it's rare to feel overwhelmed, which certainly wasnt the case with Dragon Ball FighterZ.

I'll probably get the Platinum this week then start focusing more on getting better with Kano and some other character as backup.

• Upvote 2

On 08/05/2019 at 08:04, Pharad said:

It's worth noting that the article uses the word "apparently" a few times and mentions the grind as being highlighted by other reviews. Which points to the person writing the article having not actually played it themselves.

I'm finding "the grind" a bit of a distraction from the actual game. I can't really see any real purpose for the stuff you need to grind for. Gear doesn't seem to confer any kind of bonuses in game, I'm not that bothered about skins, I haven't used any konsumables and the items that you can add to gear don't seem to do much. So I just can't see the point, so far. 

I kinda assumed they'd be bringing in a gear system similar to Injustice 2 where what you have improves your stats and adds other bonuses. So it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity, to me.

Saying that, I'm really enjoying the game itself. The story mode is a lot of fun. The traditional towers are what you would expect, and I'm working my way through the characters to see all the endings and work out who I like. Online seems rock solid as well.

With the issues I've highlighted above, I can't really see the point of the Towers of Time, though - I'm not that bothered about the rewards they offer. I know I keep referencing Injustice, but the Multiverse in that works really well, because the rewards are worth having. Plus they not only force you to use other characters, the level system means you need to play a good bit with said characters to get them up to the levels required. 

Moaning a bit here, but it's still a very, very good fighting game. I want to spend a lot longer playing it.

The Towers of Time were definitely improved on PS4. Other than the ones where you team up they're much easier now, abilities recharge faster and the rewards for each fight/Tower are greater than they were before.

The character towers are the best way to get costumes for characters you actually use; they significantly reduced the requirements for unlocking their later Towers too (100 Brutalities with your character reduced to 25 for example).

It would take forever to get absolutely everything but they're near-identical cosmetic trinkets mostly.

5 hours ago, joffocakes said:

they're near-identical cosmetic trinkets mostly.

Yeah, this is the conclusion I've come to. Which is why all the hoo-ha about "the grind" is puzzling me. It's nothing that affects any progression in the game, so it's entirely optional. If anything, it was worse in Injustice, since you needed to grind to level to get the best gear.

• Upvote 1

I am bad at fighting games but enjoying this a lot. Took baraka online having only done his tutorial, kept beating a liu kang who did the same combo over and over and increasingly whined louder and louder over the mic about me blocking all the time and punishing him for spamming that combo and then doing the same move a lot (his big jumping overhead which is a really risky move but opens up  players who aren't paying attention beautifully). 

I love it. Baraka is fun! Pretty simple strings for good damage and his moves are hard for the other player to predict. 

Yeah, in the Learn > Tutorials section they're at the bottom. They're not very good; basically goes over the movelist rather than teaching how and when to use moves or combos.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Do you get a skin or anything for completing them?

You get a skin for completing all lessons in a character tutorial as well.

• Upvote 1

Just completed the story. It was fun, if utterly ridiculous. But, that boss fight can fuck right off. No idea how much more I'll be playing it, but I'm certainly going to have to grind if I can only use the evil skins until I buy new ones. 

Worst bit was having to play an entire chapter as Shao Khan. Best bit was Cage vs Cage, and every bit with Kitana. 

For the last boss just spam your fastest combos. Specials take too long to come out, but fast attacks seem to lock her out of doing anything.