rllmuk
Broker

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - Switch Exclusive - Developed by Team Ninja

That looks really fun, to be fair. It's quite over the top, and visually it was difficult to tell exactly what was going on, but when I'm controlling 1 character and my kids are controlling others, it will be quite ... wait for it ...

MARVELLOUS!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

That looks really fun, to be fair. It's quite over the top, and visually it was difficult to tell exactly what was going on, but when I'm controlling 1 character and my kids are controlling others, it will be quite ... wait for it ...

MARVELLOUS!

I would have also accepted Amazing, Spectacular, Incredible and Fantastic.

• Upvote 4

Just had a quick google and there's one from Pocket Gamer (thanks @deKay) and Kotaku have one, but they go "It's addictive and fun" but they're only a few hours deep. I'm worried how repetitive it's gonna be. 

Judging from the gameplay style, it's going to be repetitive. The concern is whether it'll be fun repetitive or not, really.

But I guess that's what you mean.

8 minutes ago, rgraves said:

To me it looks like it's almost a Marvel musou - I had fun with Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem, so probably will with this.

Yep. That's how I'm seeing it. More linear, less tactical, but that sort of thing.

I’m a bit concerned about the lack of reviews but I ordered it this morning anyway! Mainly cause I just realised the Hyrule Warriors team were involved. 

Loved the first 2 and if this leans a bit more toward Hyrule Warriors it’s going to be great. 

It doesn't really look like a musou game though. If it did I'd have probably ripped their arm off for it.

I dunno, I'm sure it'll be fun as shit but I don't know if I want to pay £42/£50 quid for it when there's shit like Lapis X Labyrinth and Dragon Quest Builders 2 I've got on my wish list.

1 hour ago, Alshie said:

I’m a bit concerned about the lack of reviews but I ordered it this morning anyway!

There’s no reviews because the embargo hasn’t lifted yet - it’s midnight.

40 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Reviews look like a solid 7. I think I'll wait till it's 30 quid.

Agreed. It can drop to 20fps in portable mode.

Eurogamer once again seem overly down on a Switch game (it's getting solid 7/8 from virtually everyone which is what most expected) - I mean get this quote:

The characters lean heavily on their most famous comic-book iterations, which means you get all the now cringe designs from 90s comic books we've largely moved away from. Wolverine is in his yellow, Captain America is in cheesy "What is it, soldier?" mode, and Thor looks and sounds like, what was it Tony Stark said? Ah yes, "Doth mother know, you weareth her drapes?" I was hoping for some unique designs, some new twists.

Since when did we 'largely move away' from Wolverine in yellow? The X-Men films have, but that's it - calling them 'cringe designs' is mental. That's my childhood you meanie!

• Upvote 5

25 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Eurogamer once again seem overly down on a Switch game (it's getting solid 7/8 from virtually everyone which is what most expected) - I mean get this quote:

Since when did we 'largely move away' from Wolverine in yellow? The X-Men films have, but that's it - calling them 'cringe designs' is mental. That's my childhood you meanie!

That does seem a bit odd given Marvel have spent the better part of a decade giving us the most accurate comic book to real life representations of characters.

14 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

What do people see in these types of games? To me, it looks very repetitive and technically shoddy as hell so I'm wondering what the attraction is.

Personally - fun. I just find them fun to play - Hyrule Warriors was all over the shop really, but the core loop was enjoyable. Totally not for everyone though.

The idea of writing off a game just because it drops a few frames here and there over the course of hours is totally alien to me - I'm happy to put up with all sorts of jank if I'm enjoying it. Christ, some of the stuff that I used to play when I was a kid...if you'd have shown me this stuff and said it was 'shoddy' I would have laughed my arse off.

6 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

What do people see in these types of games? To me, it looks very repetitive and technically shoddy as hell so I'm wondering what the attraction is.

With the first ones it was a combination of accurate portrayal of heroes you loved combined with smashing shit in the face cathartic action. The team up moves in two were an exercise in extreme satisfaction when you had someone like Hulk rip up the floor, Deadpool slapping grenades on it then watching as the screen gets cleared when it's thrown into the middle of a group of meanies.

It has to be said though, this is part of the reason I'm waiting for a price drop. It looks wonky (although some people say the frame rate is fine and there's been a considerable day one patch, the camera in the videos did not look like it wanted to play nicely and I don't know anything about the combat outside of the heavy/light attack combos. I'm hoping someone in here took a punt and can feed back at some point. It's currently £40 on ShopTo which is better than the £42/£50 on the eShop and if it is a duffer you can get your money back in trade/selling it but I'm still a bit reluctant.

36 minutes ago, rgraves said:

The yellow costume is not even what he wore in the 90s tho, that decade was all about the orange/black design. 

Just now, rgraves said:

Personally - fun. I just find them fun to play - Hyrule Warriors was all over the shop really, but the core loop was enjoyable.

The idea of writing off a game just because it drops a few frames here and there over the course of hours is totally alien to me - I'm happy to put up with all sorts of jank if I'm enjoying it. Christ, some of the stuff that I used to play when I was a kid...if you'd have shown me this stuff and said it was 'shoddy' I would have laughed my arse off.

I find the Hyrule Warriors comparison a bit weird because the characters don't like nearly as diverse in their moves and what you can equip and all that. Also, twatting the living shit out of a screen full of baddies on Hyrule is absolutely magnificent (and dragging the moon down with the hookshot, which is GLORIOUS) which there doesn't look the equivalent of here. But like I said earlier in the thread, the inclusion of some truly obscure characters has to be applauded.

Knowing me I'll see it in fucking Tesco and thing FUCK IT and buy it. Although they still haven't got DQB2 on the shelf...