Timmo

The Playstation 4 hasn't had a single good new Arcade Racer in 5 years - why? **Criterion founder Alex Ward responds on page 2!**

In the last few generations we had the golden age of Arcade Racers. Playstation had the Ridge Racers culminating in Type 4. The Burnout games were nearly all brilliant. Then we had Outrun 2. And Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit was fantastic as well. All of these games go down as classics.

This generation we have the Forza Horizon games, which I can't play as I don't have an Xbox One, and... that's about it.

I was hopeful when Trackmania Turbo came onto PS+, and loved it for an hour or two, but its nosedive in quality was dramatic when it introduced off-road sections. Suddenly a fun, precise racing game became completely unpalatable. I also craved a track full of traffic.

On Metacritic, Need For Speed: Rivals sits at 80 (I haven't played it but I've read it's basically a less good Hot Pursuit), then everything else which isn't a remaster is below. What's with the massive decrease in quality of Arcade Racers?

• Upvote 7

developers in general have forgotten how to make this genre work, even the FH games are too leaden and tedious. People call Driveclub an arcade racer FFS. They've probably never even been to an arcade.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Let me get my soapbox out and yell about how's it's a criminal offence there's no Ridge Racers Remastered on PS4.

First suggestion is WipeOut.

Second suggestion is Burnout Paradise.

Third suggestion which is not truly arcade-y is DriveClub.

Have you given OnRush a try, it's free as part of PS+ this month.

What about The Crew (2)?

WRC?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, df0 said:

Let me get my soapbox out and yell about how's it's a criminal offence there's no Ridge Racers Remastered on PS4.

First suggestion is WipeOut.

Second suggestion is Burnout Paradise.

Third suggestion which is not truly arcade-y is DriveClub.

Have you given OnRush a try, it's free as part of PS+ this month.

What about The Crew (2)?

WRC?

Onrush isn't a Racer and the others are remasters which I have no interest in. The Crew seems to have reviewed pretty badly but I'd give it a go if someone convinced me because I like the concept.

The Crew is no more an arcade racer than Forza Horizon is. It's not a bad game, but it's the Ubisoft game template in car form. It's like saying Assassins Creed is an arcade game.

• Upvote 1

They're not commercially viable anymore. Like futuristic racers, the market for them has dwindled so companies aren't willing to fund them. If you like driving games you basically have three choices these days:

- The sim racers like Gran Turismo and Forza

- The open world racers like Forza Horizon or The Crew

- Mascot kart games

• Empathy 1

Burnout Paradise and Wipeout are last gen games tarted up, although in Wipeout's case VR makes it into an all new thing admittedly.

I don't feel like there's much in the way of pure arcade racing either. No decent Need for Speeds, and most importantly no Ridge Racers.

Thank god for Mario Kart 8 on the WiiU  Switch.

20 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Onrush isn't a Racer and the others are remasters which I have no interest in. The Crew seems to have reviewed pretty badly but I'd give it a go if someone convinced me because I like the concept.

Well, you're racing around in a car, it's incredibly arcadey in feel and presentation, and it's also more fun than any racing car game I've played for as long as I can remember. It's a real shame that it never really found an audience.

35 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Well, you're racing around in a car, it's incredibly arcadey in feel and presentation, and it's also more fun than any racing car game I've played for as long as I can remember. It's a real shame that it never really found an audience.

Interested in what you see in it that makes it arcadey in feel? I can't help but feel that development tools geared toward realistic physics have put paid to arcade racers. Hard to believe but looking back, we had such a golden era in the mid 2000s. Wipeout, ridge Racer, f-zero, sega rally, outrun just off the top of my head. The key to an arcade racers to me is the handling model. All of the above had incredibly solid and rewarding handling models that had very little in common with realistic physics.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Almost nobody buys them. 

Almost nobody makes them.

11 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Strong agree.

I've been teaching abstraction today and it really hit home how modern game development tools constrain design. In many cases, it is far easier and quicker to use existing models even if that level of abstraction isn't needed/desired. Some of my students are trying to truly design and create focused games, with bespoke mechanics and physical models, but it isn't easy/quick.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

Onrush is incredible.

even if we agree to disagree on it being incredible/shit it most definitely wasn't a racer - which possibly undid it even more commercially than if it had been.

people just stopped buying big budget Ridge Racer style simple arcade racers with digital handling models, things like Flat Out and Split Second & Blur meant that loads of stuff got bolted on in an effort to save the genre.

I'm sure a Project Gotham would still sell now but they'd stick a load of story and urban trappings on it and progression trees

The lack of ridge racer is the saddest thing in gaming right now. I don’t want one every year, 1 per generation is enough.

is it too much to ask? :(

Wouldnt need lot of content, I would be happy with 3-4 tracks with variations.

• Upvote 2

The hot wheels track in FH3, winding through a cityscape, tells you all you need to know how incredible a ridge racer could be. Maybe that other thread about foisting RPG mechanics on everything has finished off this genre, though.

I think they probably died around the time Blur and Split/Second both flopped and the Motorstorm series stopped selling. The growth of GAAS and open world also means that gamers expect a lot of game for their money nowadays, and arcade racers are seen as low content and disposable in comparison to most games you can get for $60. Mario Kart is the exception obviously but it's an anamoly for many, many reasons and doesn't really prove there's a huge market for arcade racers any more than the success of Mario Odyssey proves there's an enormous market for 3D platformers.

There was that rumour about a Ridge Racer exclusive to Switch around E3 time. And one about a Star Fox Racer.

I’m currently obsessed with Horizon Chase Turbo on Switch. It’s really quite good

• Upvote 2