Luseth

Gaming for free....

I read the PCGamer website quite a bit and they regularly put up articles about free games of the week and this that and the other.

I was wondering, is it possible to game for free (excluding hardware costs) these days.

I.e. Can you get enough of a gaming fix just from the odd game humble give away here and there, the free games on steam and GOG and that sort of thing?

Does anyone here do that?

I mean some of my favourite games of all time have been free (I think of Battle for Wesnoth as an example)

Probably

I mean you've got lots of genres represented - Atlas Reactor, Dota, Hearthstone, Warframe, Fortnite, loads of horror games, etc.

Plus giveaways - on PC there have been lots of freebies to get people to install various DD platforms over the years. I've had Destiny 2, For Honor, Dead Space, Plants vs. Zombies, Dragon Age: Origins, etc.

That's pretty much how mobile gaming works for a lot of people around the world. The real problem is diversity of content if you try to rely on only easily available F2P games as none of them have any appeal to me personally.

I suppose you might have been able to just about survive if you spent your time hunting for the time limited giveaways that have occurred over the years on the PC, but that's not much use for anybody thinking about doing it starting now. Even Valve apparently gave away several of their highly praised games once or twice, not much use to anybody hearing that news now though :P

Yes you can game for free these days if you want to. There are tons of good free multiplayer games these days that offer cosmetics or ingame currency for real money - that aren't rubbish.

Off the top of my head Hearthstone and World of Tanks/World of Warships are excellent examples. Yes there is a grindy aspect to the World games but you can still have fun doing so. Then there's Fortnite which is incredibly generous - a good free game with money only used for cosmetics. 

I steer well clear of F2P games with pay to win or timers though - generally strategy/RPG games. They all start off well with fast build timers and tons of free currency. Then once you get hooked things take longer and longer to build, units become more expensive. In a lot of them (especially multiplayer) you will have to grind for hours or spend money to stand a chance in the late game. There are very few games of this type which don't try to squeeze you for cash at every opportunity.

Then there are legacy games. Head over to GOG or other old game websites to grab a massive back catalogue of excellent PC and old console games for free! There are some real gems out there such as RPGs, strategy games and point and click adventures.

On phones/tablets just search games by free and user rating and skim reviews to check that ads aren't too annoying. I know on Google Play it warns you if a game has ingame purchases, adverts etc.

I'll freely admit to having put hundreds of hours into Gems of War on the PS4, which I really enjoyed for about a year, but all the new expansion updates have given just too much content for my limited game time these days. For the last couple of months I've been Vita only as I can pick it up for ten minutes before putting it in sleep mode and then carrying on later.

Played loads of free games on Steam, sometimes spent 10+ hours on them.

Browser games, I've probably had Cookie Cllcker as an open tab for at least 5+ years now. Anti-Idle: The Game on Kongergate was also awesome.

Gaming fun can be had for very little/free indeed. At least if easily amused.

Mainly mobile games like Clash Royale, 8  Ball Pool & there is a FarmVille type game called Township that I have been playing with my daughters for over 3 years now!

I've been doing the Microsoft Rewards thing (see the thread for info) for the past 2-3 months and just recently got over 8000 points which I used to get a £10 voucher (on offer it should have been 12k points) . If you do it over the course of a year you can cover the cost of a Gold membership and with that get free games every month. 

• Upvote 1

I don't game for free as such, but I never buy new games and wait for someone else to buy it at RRP, play it once then sell it on here a week later for £28 - which I buy, play through and sell for £25. I barely play modern games so it'd just be the uncharteds, metal gears, death strandings and the like. 

Makes me wonder why they buy them at full price but hey never stop. Apart from the Ubisoft games, stop that. 

Well it looks like Epic are going to make it rather easy for anybody wishing to try to survive on a diet of not legally paying anything for their games, assuming you own a PC capable of playing the games they will be offering for gratis as they've just announced they are funding the giveaway of a load of high profile formerly payware games as an enticement to all the people who don't give a fuck about Fortnite to use their launcher and now PC games store:

The Epic Games store will also feature one free game every two weeks throughout 2019. The first free game is Subnautica, available from December 14 – 27, followed by Super Meat Boy from December 28 until January 10, 2019.

So that should be over 25 high quality games for anybody with a PC and no desire to pay for anything (legally) and who doesn't care for F2P game mechanics and doesn't want to do any fucking F2P-style grinding to obtain these games either.

On 06/12/2018 at 22:17, gospvg said:

Mainly mobile games like Clash Royale, 8  Ball Pool & there is a FarmVille type game called Township that I have been playing with my daughters for over 3 years now!

Haha we have a family co-op on Township. As free to play games go, it's pretty addictive! 

Last year I ended up hooked on Brawlhalla for a little while; it's a Smash-style fighter for consoles and PC, and you can pay to use the whole roster, but there are a lot of fellow cheapskates that just use the free characters, so you'll often find yourself in a "balanced" match. Also I think they rotate the free characters every now and then, so there's always a reason to come back.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/291550/Brawlhalla/