rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
p1nseeker

Far Cry New Dawn

On 18/05/2019 at 15:02, Uncle Nasty said:

Sell it to me please Timmo, I need something new to play and nothing is saying BUY ME.

I've probably racked up 10 hours already and for the most part have loved it. Someone said in another thread that open world Ubisoft games are pretty alike but the fact they keep putting them out means they are getting more and more refined. The last one I played was Far Cry 4 and this is way better. Worth pointing out that it's a smaller, tighter and more focused game than the other Far Crys.

Another recommendation for Days gone here.... Usually love the Far cry games, but 5 left me cold.

Been playing Days gone for about 30-40 hours, and still enjoying it immensely.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Timmo said:

I've probably racked up 10 hours already and for the most part have loved it. Someone said in another thread that open world Ubisoft games are pretty alike but the fact they keep putting them out means they are getting more and more refined. The last one I played was Far Cry 4 and this is way better. Worth pointing out that it's a smaller, tighter and more focused game than the other Far Crys.

Thanks, smaller and more focussed sounds good to me. To the PSN sale pole! 

• Upvote 1

My God, the New Eden missions are pure shit. The boat one was unbelievable, what were they thinking?

Edit - followed by a boring forced walk, followed by the WORST boss. Just the shittest. I don't believe it.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

32 minutes ago, Timmo said:

My God, the New Eden missions are pure shit. The boat one was unbelievable, what were they thinking?

Edit - followed by a boring forced walk, followed by the WORST boss. Just the shittest. I don't believe it.

I've not played Far Cry New Dawn but that sounds like by issues with Far Cry 5.  It is a shame, they are nearly there with making a great game but the same issues keep cropping up.  Forced walk, shit bosses, drug sections etc.  All the feedback I see is that everyone thinks these are terrible but they keep getting put back in. 

They have a decent feeling FPS, are capable of making interesting and pretty worlds to explore but continue to include this BS.  I enjoyed the DLC for 5 (the Mars one wasn't to everyone's taste but I enjoyed it) partly because they skipped all the bullshit and just made a short compelling game experience. 

It's just so unnecessary. I guess they felt like they needed some depth so they stick some mystical, religious shit in which wouldn't be a problem if it was either interesting and fun, but it's neither.

• Upvote 1

I did enjoy Far Cry 5 even though I think it was a far cry from Far Cry 2 and 3, seeing how this thread only has 6 pages I take it this is just another shit cash-in that lacks depth, originality and soul.  

So I got this used off ebay for £16 and if I'm honest it just feels like some luke warm piss weak DLC. Maybe I'm not getting it yet, as I've only sunk a couple of hours into it however it just feels a bit like someone watched the rage 2 trailer and said 'we can do that!!!' and nobody had the balls to say no meh.

Anyway, certain bits provide enjoyment:

I have to say, this is way better than far cry 5. There's an enormous amount of violent gratification to be had from scavenging an outpost. I'm not sure how far I am into the game and suspect that it'll end relatively soon, however at £16 that I paid for it, I've more than had my money out of it.

• Upvote 1

On 20/05/2019 at 12:29, Len said:

Same here, just ordered off amazon ($19.99).  :)

Finished this the other day and it was enjoyable enough but I do not need a new Far Cry game any time soon that is for sure.

i went from quite enjoying it at the start to a couple of points near the end where I nearly stopped and sold on as it was just annoying me (always a good sign!). Then came back to finally finish it off, bye Joseph. It was fine and fun in places but it's funny how quickly we move on. I really enjoyed FC5 bu this was felt more than a bit stale as I think may have been mentioned a few times. 

Nana was ace though. ;) 

I’ve really enjoyed playing through this, found it nice and varied and the gunplay, etc is nice. 

But FUCK the end boss has ruined it. Boring, bullet sponge, cheap killing twat. I just want to finish this bit chipping away at the endless energy bar of the worlds most boring boss. Terrible. 

• Upvote 2

@spanx I thought the fight with the twins was worse. Respawning dogs and getting sniped and set alight from nowhere.

• Upvote 1

I’m bored of the games I’ve been playing recently and haven’t played a Far Cry game in ages. Both this and 5 are about £15 on Xbox at the moment. Is one of them clearly better than the other?

Anecdotal but New Dawn isn't supposed to be as po faced and dreary as 5. New Dawn was fine but suffered from the same thing most Ubisoft games do of tone def writing, abhorrent characters and lots of icons on the map. I enjoyed it to a point but it became the same old shit after a time.

What was the last Far Cry you played? 3, 4 and 5 are pretty much the same game with differences in story and length (and some unpopular hallucinatory sequences).

I’ve played them all (except the Stone Age spin off) and I’ve found it all a bit downhill since number 2. New Dawn was shorter than the other recent ones and had a much better pace to it, felt fun for most of the time I was playing it whereas other recent ones turn into a chore eventuality. It does have some major annoyances near the end though.

I last played 4 and a bit of Primal.

I loved 3, apart from all the really annoying vision sequences which seem to blight the whole franchise since 3.

The boss fight mentioned above is a bit off putting.

New Dawn's a direct sequel to 5 - OK, story's not the main draw of the franchise but not sure how much sense ND would make if you haven't played the preceding game.

I had the most fun with Primal, tbh. Spears, arrows & clubs made an interesting change in an FPS. Also you get a pet sabre-toothed tiger. That you can ride.

And to explain how it's a sequel would massively spoiler 5.

18 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m bored of the games I’ve been playing recently and haven’t played a Far Cry game in ages. Both this and 5 are about £15 on Xbox at the moment. Is one of them clearly better than the other?

5 is good despite it’s flaws, new dawn is boring.

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

New dawn is boring.

Totally disagree with that - kept me busy for a good 15 hrs and the expeditions were brilliant.

1 hour ago, dvdx2 said:

Totally disagree with that - kept me busy for a good 15 hrs and the expeditions were brilliant.

Maybe I'm too picky..

The mechanics and crafting is bad. Pick up bag of screws or whatever and you can graft a gun. Why have crafting when its stupid, I mean whats the point? Whats the point of picking up X amount of screws in order to craft something? The point is to distract you from the fact that the game is an empty shell, trying to pretend it is a living world when its just a minimum effort expansion. 

The scenario is supposed to be post apocalyptic, but Fallout 3 (2008) does a better job.