Far Cry New Dawn

On 18/05/2019 at 15:02, Uncle Nasty said:

Sell it to me please Timmo, I need something new to play and nothing is saying BUY ME.

I've probably racked up 10 hours already and for the most part have loved it. Someone said in another thread that open world Ubisoft games are pretty alike but the fact they keep putting them out means they are getting more and more refined. The last one I played was Far Cry 4 and this is way better. Worth pointing out that it's a smaller, tighter and more focused game than the other Far Crys.

22 hours ago, Timmo said:

I've probably racked up 10 hours already and for the most part have loved it. Someone said in another thread that open world Ubisoft games are pretty alike but the fact they keep putting them out means they are getting more and more refined. The last one I played was Far Cry 4 and this is way better. Worth pointing out that it's a smaller, tighter and more focused game than the other Far Crys.

Thanks, smaller and more focussed sounds good to me. To the PSN sale pole! 

• Upvote 1

My God, the New Eden missions are pure shit. The boat one was unbelievable, what were they thinking?

Edit - followed by a boring forced walk, followed by the WORST boss. Just the shittest. I don't believe it.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
32 minutes ago, Timmo said:

My God, the New Eden missions are pure shit. The boat one was unbelievable, what were they thinking?

Edit - followed by a boring forced walk, followed by the WORST boss. Just the shittest. I don't believe it.

I've not played Far Cry New Dawn but that sounds like by issues with Far Cry 5.  It is a shame, they are nearly there with making a great game but the same issues keep cropping up.  Forced walk, shit bosses, drug sections etc.  All the feedback I see is that everyone thinks these are terrible but they keep getting put back in. 

They have a decent feeling FPS, are capable of making interesting and pretty worlds to explore but continue to include this BS.  I enjoyed the DLC for 5 (the Mars one wasn't to everyone's taste but I enjoyed it) partly because they skipped all the bullshit and just made a short compelling game experience. 

It's just so unnecessary. I guess they felt like they needed some depth so they stick some mystical, religious shit in which wouldn't be a problem if it was either interesting and fun, but it's neither.

• Upvote 1

I did enjoy Far Cry 5 even though I think it was a far cry from Far Cry 2 and 3, seeing how this thread only has 6 pages I take it this is just another shit cash-in that lacks depth, originality and soul.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I got this used off ebay for £16 and if I'm honest it just feels like some luke warm piss weak DLC. Maybe I'm not getting it yet, as I've only sunk a couple of hours into it however it just feels a bit like someone watched the rage 2 trailer and said 'we can do that!!!' and nobody had the balls to say no meh.

Anyway, certain bits provide enjoyment:

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, this is way better than far cry 5. There's an enormous amount of violent gratification to be had from scavenging an outpost. I'm not sure how far I am into the game and suspect that it'll end relatively soon, however at £16 that I paid for it, I've more than had my money out of it.

• Upvote 1
On 20/05/2019 at 12:29, Len said:

Same here, just ordered off amazon ($19.99).  :)

Finished this the other day and it was enjoyable enough but I do not need a new Far Cry game any time soon that is for sure.

i went from quite enjoying it at the start to a couple of points near the end where I nearly stopped and sold on as it was just annoying me (always a good sign!). Then came back to finally finish it off, bye Joseph. It was fine and fun in places but it's funny how quickly we move on. I really enjoyed FC5 bu this was felt more than a bit stale as I think may have been mentioned a few times. 

Nana was ace though. ;) 

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

I’ve really enjoyed playing through this, found it nice and varied and the gunplay, etc is nice. 

But FUCK the end boss has ruined it. Boring, bullet sponge, cheap killing twat. I just want to finish this bit chipping away at the endless energy bar of the worlds most boring boss. Terrible. 

• Upvote 3
  • 3 months later...

I’m bored of the games I’ve been playing recently and haven’t played a Far Cry game in ages. Both this and 5 are about £15 on Xbox at the moment. Is one of them clearly better than the other?

Anecdotal but New Dawn isn't supposed to be as po faced and dreary as 5. New Dawn was fine but suffered from the same thing most Ubisoft games do of tone def writing, abhorrent characters and lots of icons on the map. I enjoyed it to a point but it became the same old shit after a time.

What was the last Far Cry you played? 3, 4 and 5 are pretty much the same game with differences in story and length (and some unpopular hallucinatory sequences).

I’ve played them all (except the Stone Age spin off) and I’ve found it all a bit downhill since number 2. New Dawn was shorter than the other recent ones and had a much better pace to it, felt fun for most of the time I was playing it whereas other recent ones turn into a chore eventuality. It does have some major annoyances near the end though.

I last played 4 and a bit of Primal.

I loved 3, apart from all the really annoying vision sequences which seem to blight the whole franchise since 3.

The boss fight mentioned above is a bit off putting.

New Dawn's a direct sequel to 5 - OK, story's not the main draw of the franchise but not sure how much sense ND would make if you haven't played the preceding game.

I had the most fun with Primal, tbh. Spears, arrows & clubs made an interesting change in an FPS. Also you get a pet sabre-toothed tiger. That you can ride.

18 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m bored of the games I’ve been playing recently and haven’t played a Far Cry game in ages. Both this and 5 are about £15 on Xbox at the moment. Is one of them clearly better than the other?

5 is good despite it’s flaws, new dawn is boring.

1 hour ago, dvdx2 said:

Totally disagree with that - kept me busy for a good 15 hrs and the expeditions were brilliant.

Maybe I'm too picky..

The mechanics and crafting is bad. Pick up bag of screws or whatever and you can graft a gun. Why have crafting when its stupid, I mean whats the point? Whats the point of picking up X amount of screws in order to craft something? The point is to distract you from the fact that the game is an empty shell, trying to pretend it is a living world when its just a minimum effort expansion. 

The scenario is supposed to be post apocalyptic, but Fallout 3 (2008) does a better job. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Fuck I'm glad everyone else agrees.

I literally cannot think of a game that goes off the rails in its final act like this does.  Literally everything from the point you turn up to an ambush and get a bunch of timed hide and seek missions is total, complete trash.

Up till then, solid 9/10, my favourite Far Cry, easy.

Massive spoiler

Those timed missions are just horrible, and you actually only need to do parts of them.  One of them relies on finding a keycard for a locked door, there are 2 other locked doors but nothing tells you they can't be unlocked, it even looks like one of the objectives is in the area behind one but it isn't.  So you spend multiple attempts achieving nothing.

Then you win, or look it up online and then game tells you to stash your weapons before going in. 

NO! WHY?

Then you go in and are predictably presented with an opportunity where any competent character under your control would be able to shoot both big bads and win the game.  But no, with absolutely no agency in your choices you're forced into handcuffing yourself, are beaten, and the guy you were supposed to save is killed anyway, as of course he would be.  Then you get back to town and they say "Oh well you did your best"

NO I FUCKING DIDN'T.

I hate when characters you control for 20 hours make dumb decisions outside your control.

It's downhill from there.

You spend the entire game doing side missions, outposts and hunting in order to get yourself good weapons and make sure your favoured companions are up to snuff.

Then virtually every single mission from that point on takes one, or more likely both of them away from you.  You get dumped in a prison with no weapons and endure the world's dumbest implementation of stealth where it's also taken away your ability to do silent takedowns for some reason.  You stealth your way back out and hide in the back of the truck again to escape.  Or you should, on my game it glitched and the prompt never appeared, so I had to take the fight my way out option anyway.

Then you get dumped in a destruction derby which is actually much easier to finish on foot with a rocket launcher.  Then you again have to stash your weapons to go meet everyone in the evil gang, making opportunity 2 where if you just concealed a gun you could have one shotted the big bads and end the game. But you can't.  Then you have to fight the hardest regular enemies in the game with a level 1 weapon you find in a toilet.  I, being clever, ran back to the bag where I stashed my weapons.

They're not there. 

At this point your companion reappears, THEY have all their weapons.

The game has decided you must go to the workbench hidden behind the lieutenants to get them from an identical bag.  It doesn't tell you about the bag though, it says re-equip your weapons at the workbench, a process which requires you to find your 4 weapons from a list of 100 and painstaking put them in the right slots again.  Then you use those weapons to finish off the enemy you dodged and it tells you to get your weapons and escape. 

Word to the wise, don't just escape, even though I had all my weapons I had to trek back to the bag before the "escape"  waypoint did anything.  It's still there the entire time of course.  

Then we get the first "end boss missions" which is just the most horrible cheapshit.  One of the two has an infinite flamethrower, you start trapped in a wooden building.  Unless you know to run out immediately you are dying in there.   Said flamethrower has a range longer than most of your guns and does damage over time.

Oh, and your companion has fucked off again. Not for any story reason, they're right there with you when it starts but as soon as it does they wink out of existence. There is no reason for this other than they couldn't be fucked to balance the fight properly.

Things are complicated by the other enemy being a deadly accurate teleporting sniper.  Meanwhile the game's smoke effects are so overblown that you spend most of the time staring at a grey screen as the game teleports in infinite attack dogs because you're not pissed off enough. You kill the flame thrower and discover the sniper also has infinite smoke bombs.  

Finally you spend 20 minutes glitching the map and taking advantage of the fact the game's mission area is badly defined enough you can hide outside the camp in question and finally get off enough lucky shots into smoke to kill them.

You didn't kill them, there's a long and boring cut scene of them alive together, apparently in order to humanise them as one of them dies of their injuries.  No. Fuck you. Baddies. Die. For the third time in the game you are standing in front of the big boss, this time you have your guns. You still don't shoot them. You can't shoot them.  I don't know how long this cut scene is because what seemed like 3 hours in I gave up and skipped it.

Finally you can shoot the remaining one although it doesn't appear you have to.  I'm sure leaving a big bad to die of their injuries off screen never comes back to haunt you. I shot her.

Then the final misison, which, if you haven't spent a huge amount of ethanol better spent elsewhere you can't fast travel anywhere remotely close to. So you drive a slow boat for 10 minutes to get there instead...

...where there's an even more fucking stupid end boss.  Again, your companion is standing RIGHT THERE and winks out of existence.  There follows a bullet sponge Borderlands would look at and go "Steady on love".  Except unlike in borderlands you can't do clever things with elemental damage, you just have to hit the tiny critical points or shoot him for an hour while he thows undodgable fire at you and you discover the "refill ammo" point does nothing of the sort but refills about a quarter instead.  You can hit it multiple times but you'll probably get a rock in the face. 

So the entire fight is running between the 2 refill stations frantically popping medkits and turning round to get a few shots off at  mega werewolf.  It's not even that hard once you figure out all this but my fucking god is it tedious.

And then finally the game actually lets you choose to shoot someone as Joseph, who is apparently too stupid to commit suicide orders you kill him.  Fuck you joseph.  The one good part of the last 1/3rd of the game is, if you don't the game eventually doesn't make you, a trick familiar from other, better Fars Cry.

So basically we've turned a 9/10 game with a lovely colourful post apocalypse theme into something I only have shitty memories of.  Great.

10 hours ago, marsh said:

You do have quite a good memory of it.....

I'm reading that and I'm wondering if I've played the same game :blink:

To be fair, I played that entire last 1/3rd last night, I was still cross.

47 minutes ago, Timmo said:

The game definitely turned to shit before then, the world's slowest and most dull boat ride and the following bear boss were both terrible.

I was kinda ok with that, it felt like at least an attempt at a scene setting build up to meeting the central figure in the mini series.  Although the fact it was about setting light to things to avoid the gas and then it put the gas in other places too so you had to rush through it and shoot wildly, that was weird.

The bear boss was annoying and was basically a less frustrating version of the final boss.  It was also short enough and appeared to have some sort of plot point to make it less bad to me.