CovisGod

All Time Favourite Gaming Mission

What's yours? A few examples... 

Fallout 3s Megaton questline

Mass Effect 2's Suicide mission

All Ghilled Up from COD MW

What are your favourites and why? 

• Upvote 7

The Dam from Goldeneye.  Running through it on all the different difficulty settings, speed running it, playing with the guards, deliberately setting off alarms to keep killing wave of wave of soldiers.  

At one stage I probably could have completed it blindfolded.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, bobin said:

Any of the “mega” Katamari missions where you start small and end up rolling up the sun. I could do that all day. 

Can't look beyond this, but I'll have a good think about others during the day.

• Upvote 1

What a great, and really tough question.

My lizard-brain responses would have to be:

The first star in Bob-omb Battle field,because of what it represented to gaming

The 'Archangel' recruitment mission in Mass Effect 2 and the air punching that followed once one's suspicions of who Archangel was were confirmed.

• Upvote 2

The two intricately designed ones in Dishonored 2 come to mind.  If you have played the game you will know which two I'm thinking of- one messes with space (and when you earn the no alarm status you will have a grin as wide as a Cheshire cat), the other with time and space (and has consequences for the wider world).  Both are utter genius.

For adrenaline rush it has to be the Mass Effect 2 (or to a lesser extent1) finale.

Does Durlag's Tower qualify?  

• Upvote 4

The Mechaton mission in Bulletstorm. I love it when a game throws unexpected and fun gameplay mechanics at you. The fact that this one lets you remotely control a mech dinosaur is icing on the cake.

Bloody Baron - Witcher 3. It's generally the point in the game where you realise you are playing something God tier special. All of the games mechanics are well used, it's well designed and written. It's just a great bit of the best game ever.

The tower that fell - Horizon. It's the point where the game all comes together story wise and climbing the broken down ruins is not only fun, but it gives mindblowing views of the game world.

• Upvote 1

Ninja Gaiden 2 Chapter 7, Airship. Just so damn fun. None of the niggly bits which plagued other levels.

Max Payne 3, Airport. That music. The perfect ending.

Dark Souls. Depths. I just loved the atmosphere of that place. By which I mean I travelled at 1mph, shield up, terrified, throughout.

• Upvote 2

Two spring to mind immediately. 

The 5th Colossus - Shadow of the Colossus. Swooping, flying bastard. The first 4 set the game up really well, and the "holy shit look at the size of the thing" moment of seeing the first nearly clinches it as my favourite. But the way the 5th feels when you're on it, trying to take it down, is just majestic. 

Silent Cartographer. - Halo. Nothing I can add to what's already been said. Top tier stuff. 

• Upvote 2

Definitely agree with Mass Effect 2 finale.

Level 4 on Super Contra. From the moment the music kicks in it's just an incredible series of set pieces that all flow together into a coherent (but batshit) whole.

The Katina level in Star Fox 64. At the time it was the closest you could get to a Star Wars style dogfight with tons of ships flying about.

The first level of Dead Space: Extraction. It's a tutorial that's also a great introduction to the story and the game's willingness to mess with your expectations. 

• Upvote 2

One immediately springs to mind: the entire Genophage quest chain that spreads across the Mass Effect trilogy. Not one mission per se but a long chain of events about politics, genocide and ideologies.

• Upvote 1

I'll think of some others (and at least one of mine has already been mentioned), but the Final Mission in Saints Row: The Third is a good one. Mainly for the Bonnie Tyler music.

• Upvote 2

X-Wing Alliance: this was set between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and had its own little Expanded Universe story. But gradually it introduced missions that tied into the setup for ROTJ. There was one mission where you got dispatched with an A-Wing squadron to do a flyby of a massive flotilla of imperial cargo craft for some unspecified massive construction project, which gave me goosebumps as a Star Wars nerd.

Hitman - Traditions of the Trade: From the very first and very flawed Hitman game, the mission where the whole concept suddenly made sense. Traditions of the Trade is a replication of a full Budapest hotel, complete with bars, spas and every hotel room, all explorable. Bellhops, cleaners, bar staff, front of house - everyone is there doing their routines. A public space that you can explore at your leisure dressed in a business suit but with private areas that guests aren't allowed to be in, and a VIP protected by armed bodyguards. The template for all the best Hitman levels.

• Upvote 4

Goldeneye facility level

Took about 5,000 attempts to unlock the cheat by trying to follow a guide written in N64 magazine that was only about 3 sentences long.

Cant even remember what the cheat was nowadays!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

I'll think of some others (and at least one of mine has already been mentioned), but the Final Mission in Saints Row: The Third is a good one. Mainly for the Bonnie Tyler music.

i would also say the final mission in saints row 4 again for the music alone "touch" by stan bush.

the opening  level /section to half life 1 - the whole tram ride thourgh black messa up until the reactor goes crazy

• Upvote 1

I can't remember too many specifics, but the last (I think) mission of the Defender of the Empire expansion missions for Tie Fighter:

With Admiral Thrawn as leader of your strike force, you've been tracking a fleet of Imperial traitors across the galaxy, only for everything to come to a head in one final desperate battle where Thrawn's tactics have hemmed the traitor Admiral Zaarin in and you are blowing up his capital ship as you try to fight off attacks from deadly Tie Defenders. Probably one of the hardest missions in the entire X-Wing series but a brilliant pay off cut scene at the end.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gorf said:

Goldeneye facility level

Took about 5,000 attempts to unlock the cheat by trying to follow a guide written in N64 magazine that was only about 3 sentences long.

Cant even remember what the cheat was nowadays!

Invincibility. People in school used to give me two pounds to unlock it for them, haha. 

Bunker 2 in Goldeneye is my favourite. Firing a single KF7 Soviet shot into a guards head though the glass window of those metal doors had such a satisfying sound. You could play it stealthily or just go wild too. Loads of fun. 

• Upvote 2

Tower of Latria - Trying to learn how you're supposed to play this weird game which instead of meeting you halfway is actively going out of its way to oppress you as much as it possibly can. At some point eventually realising that you love it.

Green Hill Zone, Act 1 - To me the early, flowing zones were always what was good about Sonic. Sonic 1 was about the only Mega Drive game I had for about a year so eventually I was setting myself all sorts of tasks around it: finishing the game without dying, hands behind back, hands crossed over on the controller etc. etc. At one point I beat what I'd read was the record time for the first stage by a decent amount, so I started running around the house demanding a loaded, primed camera to the general bemusement and disinterest of everyone. I think I'm right in saying you can't pause the game on the stage clear screen but either way the moment was lost in time, like tears in rain.

• Upvote 1

Journey's End in Halo 3 was pretty special - rolling in with your Scorpion and stomping everything as that theme creeps back in, the "two scarabs!" moment, making a hurried Warthog escape as the foundations explode away beneath you... :wub: 

Also mission 41 of EDF 2025, because that's when the earth eater is introduced. ;) 

• Upvote 1