IGNORED

Best Films of 2018

Goose

7 minutes ago, Majora said:

The Shape of Water, Hereditary, Annihilation, Lady Bird and BlacKkKlansman for me so far. Really looking forward to checking Roma out though, and it sounds like I need to see Cold War based on this thread.

My review from when I saw Cold War:

Well fuck! it's not often I drop the M bomb, and at times I wondered if i'd ever really use it again. But this right here for me, was a Masterpiece. Capital M.

This is the latest film from the Director of Ida. Pawel Pawlikowski

You can guess from the title what it is about, or at least when it is set (the title is much cleverer than that) and i'll spoil no more. Sufficed to say this isn't just a great example of its genre, or one of the films of the year. It is simply one of the best films i've ever seen. It utterly disarmed me. I'll remember this trip to the cinema forever.

To give you an idea of the company it keeps; It proudly sits at the table (though not at the head) with Come and See, Lives of Others, Goodbye Lenin & Schindlers List. It is a love story, a polemic, a parable, a metaphor, a warning. It is about two people, it is also about the etymology of music, and about history, paranoia, freedom, prison, guilt, obsession, love and ultimately fatality, while not actually being anything more than a boy meets girl tale. 

This is not recommended viewing. This is essential cinema. This is cinema. You have to watch it.

BlackKklansman is probably the best film I saw last year. Loved the way that the tone shifted throughout, so that sometimes it's fun and light, other times harrowing and nasty, with the finale being almost unbearably sad and anger-inducing. It was a heavy film with a grim message that was nonetheless an easy, entertaining watch - a really difficult balance to strike. Lee's best film since Summer of Sam.

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

To give you an idea of the company it keeps; It proudly sits at the table (though not at the head) with Come and See, Lives of Others, Goodbye Lenin & Schindlers List. 

Holy shit, those comparisons. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's out to rent/buy until January but I've made a note to watch it.

7 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I really must give Phantom Thread and Bomb City a go before year end.

I did really like Infinity War, The Endless, YWNRH and Hereditary. There were probably others but I can't really remember them right now.

The Endless was 2017 I believe.

19 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Granted I don't watch films I know I won't like, but Mission Impossible is by far the worst film I've seen this year

One of my my faves!

Anyhoo, one of my top 5 (maybe even 2 of them) are bound to be on other forumites worst films of the year lists.

10 - Widows

9 - Bohemian rhapsody 

8 - Black Panther

7 - Deadpool 2

6 - Ant Man and the wasp

5 - Solo

4 - MI Fallout 

3 -  The ballad of buster Scruggs 

2 - Ready Player One

1 - Infinity war

I watch the majority of my films via Cinema Paradiso or Netflix/Amazon. So there are quite a few released this year I have yet to enjoy. But I expect the following to still be in my top 10.

2018 releases

Avengers Infinity War - Should have ended on the click of the fingers. Leave us in suspense for Part2.

Black Panther - I want the M’ Baku spin off

Hichki - A teacher who has Tourette’s struggles to do the one thing she enjoys, teach.

Raazi - Set against the backdrop of the 1971 IndoPak war an Indian spy struggles with the challenges she faces. Another great performance by Alia Bhatt.

Older films I watched for the first time this year.

Greatest Showman - Fun musical extravaganza!

Highway - Another great performance by Alia Bhatt

The Florida Project, Paddington 2, Secret Superstar, Hitman’s Bodyguard, Detroit, Blade Runner 2049 & Logan Lucky.

My Top Ten of the year, which includes twelve films (because I couldn't whittle it down any more) one of which was from 2017 (because it's been my favourite film since January which is when I thought it was released and there's a theme running through my top three so I'm not changing them now):

1. The Florida Project.

Sean Baker's films are just pure empathy machines, utterly immersing you in the lives of others without judging either the characters or how you may feel about them.

2. BlacKkKlansman.

I completely agree with what K wrote above. I annoys me when people complain about the tonal shifts in the film or say that the film works despite them. The film works because of them. The juxtaposition of the comedy and horror is perfect.

3. Leave No Trace.

A masterpiece of understatement. Incredibly powerful and moving and, despite this being a great year for comedy, has my favourite funny sequence in a film this year. Only Jack-Jack vs the Raccoon comes close to the Young Farmers mock rabbit show.

There's something that, for me, connects all three of those films and it's their endings. Truly great endings are rare in movies. In think I'd struggle to explain the final moments of most of my other favourite films from this year, even whilst I could explain the entire plot in detail. But these three films have not just a great shot or memorable line, but spend a final minute in a howling maelstrom of emotion and energy. All three of those movies left me in tears and speechless and partly broken. Pure cinema.

The rest of my top ten-ish, in no particular order:

Love, Simon

Surprised this didn't get more love here as it's the best John Hughes' 80's teen comedy not made by John Hughes or made in the 80's. A stone cold classic.

Tully

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant drama that's within a hairs breadth of being in my top three.

Lean On Pete

A beautiful drama about a teenage boy who befriends a horse and tries to save it from it's fate. Just like Tully, this goes nowhere near where you think it'll go and is all the better for it.

Widows

I love a good heist movie and this is a great heist movie.

The Breadwinner

Yet another extraordinary animated film. 

A Fantastic Woman

Really powerful and witty tale of a trans woman trying to remain part of her boyfriends life even after his death.

Game Night

I rarely like out-and-out comedies so it came as a huge surprise to find myself laughing almost entirely through this. Deserved to be a much bigger hit.

I, Tonya

This could have been a disaster and yet I loved it. It really highlighted how much American Animals got wrong, though.

Annihilation

I've said it before but we really are going thorough a minor golden age of intelligent sci-fi.

Other films that I loved but aren't quite top-tier:

The Shape Of Water
You Were Never Really Here
Early Man
Incredibles 2
Sorry To Bother You
Whitney
Apostle
They Shall Not Grow Old

Based on what Letterboxd lists as 2018, otherwise Three Billboards would be a the top.

1. Avengers: Infinity War 

2. Mandy

3. Deadpool 2

4. Isle Of Dogs

5. Mission Impossible - Fallout

6. The ballad of Buster Scruggs

7. Annihilation

8. Game Night

9. BlacKKKlansman

10. The Night Comes for Us

The Worst Film Of The Year:

Final Score.

Not a great year for film, still some nice surprises and I got to see over half that list on the big screen.

7 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Based on what Letterboxd lists as 2018, otherwise Three Billboards would be a the top.

1. Avengers: Infinity War 

2. Mandy

3. Deadpool 2

4. Isle Of Dogs

5. Mission Impossible - Fallout

6. The ballad of Buster Scruggs

7. Annihilation

8. Game Night

9. BlacKKKlansman

10. The Night Comes for Us

The Worst Film Of The Year:

Final Score.

Not a great year for film, still some nice surprises and I got to see over half that list on the big screen.

It's been a pretty great year for film. You just haven't watched em (maybe you have and didn't like em, but there are a lot of gooduns not on that list)

6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

It's been a pretty great year for film. You just haven't watched em (maybe you have and didn't like em, but there are a lot of gooduns not on that list)

Cant watch em all...but that sounds promising for 2019 viewings! I do have Phantom Thread to watch at some point over Christmas. Watched Ant-Man and The Wasp last night, but that was a bit rubs.

1 hour ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Cant watch em all...but that sounds promising for 2019 viewings! I do have Phantom Thread to watch at some point over Christmas. Watched Ant-Man and The Wasp last night, but that was a bit rubs.

Of course you can't see em all. I'm just suggesting that because one can only watch so many, you've chosen poorly, rather than there not being much to choose from 

How are you judging your release dates? I'm looking at Letterboxd, and a tonne of films I watched this year are all showing as 2017 films which is confusing the fuck out of me.

On that basis, my list is very short and basically amounts to:

1. Isle of Dogs

2. Black Panther

3. Mirai

27 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Actually, you're probably right - here are all the 2018 films I chose to watch this year - some real stinkers at the bottom there to be honest...

1468642454_ScreenShot2018-12-07at09_58_38.thumb.png.291633adfee9111589aec424da5788dc.png

You wanna talk real stinkers, look at the bottom of my list for 2018. My wife made me watch everything from 39 onwards. You can tell her taste in films is very questionable. Although to be fair to her, she thought they were all shit too, it's just the fact she choses these as her movie choice that means I'm left watching dreck.

Untitled.png