Goose

Best Films of 2018

17 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Based on what Letterboxd lists as 2018, otherwise Three Billboards would be a the top.

I always tend to rank mine as what was released in the UK in the year. So as Billboards came out here in 2018 I've put it in.

27 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Actually, you're probably right - here are all the 2018 films I chose to watch this year - some real stinkers at the bottom there to be honest...

1468642454_ScreenShot2018-12-07at09_58_38.thumb.png.291633adfee9111589aec424da5788dc.png

You wanna talk real stinkers, look at the bottom of my list for 2018. My wife made me watch everything from 39 onwards. You can tell her taste in films is very questionable. Although to be fair to her, she thought they were all shit too, it's just the fact she choses these as her movie choice that means I'm left watching dreck.

Untitled.png

• Upvote 1

1. Sorry To Bother You
2. The Endless
3. Hereditary
4. Lady Bird
5. Mandy
6. Cold War
7. Kissing Candice
8. Daphne
9. Thoroughbreds
10. Annilation

It's been such a great year I have to keep this list going so...

11. The Night Comes for Us
12. Blackkklansman
13. After The Screaming Stops
14. Phantom Thread
15. I Tonya

Honorable mentions: Filmworker, Revenge, Quite Place, Never Goin' Back, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Cam

And I've lots still to watch before the end of the year. Best year for films in a long time. 

• Upvote 1

On 05/12/2018 at 16:18, Majora said:

Holy shit, those comparisons. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's out to rent/buy until January but I've made a note to watch it.

I would say this is a movie to watch in the cinema. I know that gets bandied around a lot but given the 4:3 format and, well, it’s just so lush to look it really won’t do it justice to watch it on a screen at home.  

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:50, Goose said:

From this year only - I enjoyed Searching a great deal. Thought Fallout was good, same as The Night Comes For Us.

I was disappointed by Hold the Dark, and slightly less so by Apostle.

Great films I’ve seen this year that weren’t released this year - 

This is how I feel as well, it's all about any films new to me that I've enjoyed.

The Void

The Last Detail

Duel

Three Billboards

And a special mention to a low-budget time-travel thriller called Paradox that whilst silly and prone to all the problems time-travel films tend to suffer, it did a good job within the confines of the budget and technical limitations. Maybe not "best film of 2018" territory though.