wev

Dreamcast is now 20 (in Japan)

If I had to chose one video game playing device out of everything ever made it would be the Dreamcast. I was a student back when it was released and could only afford one until a year or so into it's life (so halfway through :() and I spend way too much time in our local video game store just watching the games. 

When I finally did get one it really reignited my love for gaming which had waned a bit back then. Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, RE:CV, Metropolis Street Racer, PSO, Shenmue, Rez, Soul Calibur, Power Stone, Bangaioh, Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Space channel 5: the list of amazing games is endless. And everything was bright and colorful! I used a VGA box connected to my PC monitor and the image quality was just so vibrant and crisp :wub:.

I still have all my games and 3 consoles in the attic, I might hook one of them up have a nostalgia trip. A Dreamcast mini done right would be more convenient though. Make it happen Sega!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Here's hoping for a Dreamcast mini 

Oh shit son! 

I mean, Sega will Sega and release it with an R/F cable and infra red controllers, but imagine if they didn't fuck it up?!

• Upvote 2

I remember buying on when it was declared "dead" and got the console, vmu, keyboard, msr, jet set radio and chu chu rocket for 99 quid. Also picked up crazy taxi and dead or alive 2 at the same time and bloody loved it. Even though I have sold my dreamcast I still fondly remember playingoads of ace arcade conversions and Capcom fighters and thanks to a boot disc I had a fair amount of import games like typing of the dead and sega sports jam. 

House of the Dead, with that gun! That weird fish game with Spock in it. All the fighters, it was a beauty.

Half Life! Yeah it was never officially released, but we all had it...

• Upvote 1

Huge Sega Kid. Xmas 99. 14 going on 15.

Dreamcast. Vmu. Sonic Adventure. Soul Calibur. Worms Armageddon. 

I was always the kid who got stuff last. When people were buying mega drives we had a master system. When we got a mega cd the Saturn and PS1 had been out a year. My mom and dad divorced in 99 so wasn't expecting much so my mind was blown when my mom gave me this. I know she'd have to have worked bloody hard for it. 

Still my all time favorite Christmas. Absolutely mind blowing jump in quality from the PS1 and n64. Never seen a PS1 turfed out from under a TV so fast. I was playing Silent Hill on Christmas eve, it looked like it was from the stone age the next day. 

Amazing how well a lot of the library holds up too. Ive been collecting for the DC again the last half of this year and it's been great fun. Vga to a modern TV blows that entire generation away. 

• Upvote 1

I loved the Dreamcast, I had a JP machine just after launch - I couldn’t afford the astronomical import prices but I swapped my gaming pc for one (about £750 we agreed) and should still have that original box with the photos on it somewhere :wub: So many games I loved esp in genres I’m not a massive fan of - powerstone being the game I was most surprised with. I remember getting it online was a proper chore but can’t think why, something to do with it being a JP machine I guess!

However as much as I love the silly machine it made Sony machines look reliable and another memory I have was making one working machine out of my original JP machine, a UK one and a US one - mainly remembered as I got the power boards mixed up and put a UK lead into the JP powerboard and it went pop and Tracy dropped a cup of tea :lol:

Pure fun, Blue Sky gaming at its finest and some peak SEGA greats on that machine - Happy birthday!

6 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I loved the Dreamcast, I had a JP machine just after launch - I couldn’t afford the astronomical import prices but I swapped my gaming pc for one (about £750 we agreed) and should still have that original box with the photos on it somewhere :wub: So many games I loved esp in genres I’m not a massive fan of - powerstone being the game I was most surprised with. I remember getting it online was a proper chore but can’t think why, something to do with it being a JP machine I guess!

However as much as I love the silly machine it made Sony machines look reliable and another memory I have was making one working machine out of my original JP machine, a UK one and a US one - mainly remembered as I got the power boards mixed up and put a UK lead into the JP powerboard and it went pop and Tracy dropped a cup of tea :lol:

Pure fun, Blue Sky gaming at its finest and some peak SEGA greats on that machine - Happy birthday!

Everyone talks about the laser going on the Dreamcast. I never had that, it was always the board for the controller ports. I had the official VMUs but I also had the Joytech 4mb ones and I'm convinced switching pages on that is what did it.

I have two systems in the loft, a Japanese model with a UK powerboard from an old broken controller port machine and a PAL one. 

• Upvote 1

I was a bit skint when the Dreamcast launched over here, so I couldn't get it on launch. A few months passed and I really wanted one... And then, two things happened. I split up with my girlfriend of three years and she moved out of the house we had together. Yeah, and? Well, the day after she moved out, my credit card company wrote to me and told me they had increased my credit limit by £500. So, being a bit down, and having this money shoved in front of me, I headed down to my local indie ship and bought a modded Dreamcast, an extra controller and a copy of Soul Calibur and the US version of Code Veronica. I invited @Sponge round that night, and we spent the evening completely blown away by how amazing this system was.

Over the next couple of years, I was constantly amazed at the games it provided, from incredible arcade ports, to great fighting games, to things like Jet Set Radio and Shenmue. A truly revolutionary console that was the first step into where we are today. Oh, and Metropolis Street Racer was incredible. And I was in Official Dreamcast Magazine twice. Oh, and Space Channel Five. 

Fucking hell! What a machine!

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, APM said:

Oh, and don't get me started on the laughs @Sponge and I had playing Virtua Tennis and Virtua Athlete!

Oh man, the last 100 metres of the 800 metre race..!

30 minutes ago, Sponge said:

Oh man, the last 100 metres of the 800 metre race..!

Running out of stamina... That animation was amazing!

I picked one up late 2000. I was working in Game Meadowhall at the time and we had a great policy we could buy trade in products for the price traded in. Hence shenanigans giving people low ball prices for stuff we wanted!

Anyway as the PS2 had been released around November we were getting loads of dreamcast trade ins and managed to pick up a barely used one for £50 (apologies to the chap trading in!) and then also got myself Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, crazy taxi, rez and virtua tennis for buttons and later on MSR, PSO and Shenmue. 

It's probably in my top 3 machines I've owned and JSR is my 2nd favourite game of all time. 

I also remember after the PS2 came out Game were obviously trying to shift a load of dreamcast stock and so we were told to push it over the PS2 and even though the PS2 went on to blow it out of the water some of the initial releases for both consoles, soul calibur 2 springs to mind, looked loads better on the DC so we set up a side by side in store. Sadly it didn't work :( 

DC is my favourite console ever. Easy. It was the most social console I've owned by far and I've never bonded with so many people over so many different games. 

I was at Uni when DC was released (though I'd been playing a friend's Japanese import – Pop 'n' Music FTW) and blew an obscene amount of money on games and peripherals for it. Samba De Amigo was out every night after the pub/student union, me and a mate absolutely rinsed Tony Hawk's 2, Crazy Taxi and MSR, being fiercely competitive in that and our coursework (we both got Firsts and we were the only two in our year to do so). I remember being moved by the end of Shenmue and sad that I knew part 3 wasn't arriving. I remember buying pretty much anything and ending up with absolute gems like Bangai-O & Project Justice. I remember being absolutely destroyed by my 9 year-old brother at MvC2 (and everything else, tbh). I remember spending an entire day with a few friends and Sega Bass Fishing (ooooh... a _big_ one!), trying to complete our collection. I played Planet Ring for _hours_ online against my brother and his girlfriend, then staying up all night playing PSO, then spending further hours highlighting and adding up all the money I'd spent when the phone bill arrived in our shared house.

Just perfect.

• Upvote 2

On 04/12/2018 at 17:52, CovisGod said:

The Dreamcast is and will always be my favourite ever console. It was released in the UK on my birthday and my parents spent an absurd amount of money that birthday buying me the console with 5 games including Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, Trickstyle and Ready 2 Rumble. 

These kept me happy until the launch of Shenmue, a game which at the time really felt like the future, I remember being amazed at the sound of walking through snow, something so little by today's standards but something which genuinely amazed me 20 years ago. 

Dreamcast is still home to some of my favourite games of all time, Resident Evil Code Veronica, The Shenmue's, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio and Grandia 2.

Here's hoping for a Dreamcast mini 

Feels like we're much more likely to get a DC mini before we ever see a Saturn one - it's certainly easier to emulate..

One of the Staff at the GAME in Leeds had an imported one running months before the UK launch.. cue crowds of stunned kids stood there watching Soul Calibur play though it's intro/demo..  :lol:

I was just back from uni and had started my first job, so had been adding stuff  to my preorder every month, so come launch day I ended up with (I think) Sonic, Power Stone, Sega Rally, Speed Devils, Ready 2 Rumble and Trickstyle.. (Got Hydro Thunder too though I think it was out a week or so later..)

Not too bad a set of launch titles overall.. Think there was only Trickstyle that I never really enjoyed.. (should have gone for Dynamite Cop!)

Remember being annoyed Soul Calibur wasn't a launch title, despite having been out in the USA a month earlier.. It was nearly Christmas before we got it IIRC..

Picked mine up Day 1 after following all the coverage in magazines and at that time it was probably the first console that you could read about on the internet (at work).

I went into HMV Trafford Center and signed up for a store card so I could get what I wanted and pay it back over the next decade.  Picked up the console with a couple of pads, VMU's and I think with Power Stone and Sonic. 

Best. purchase. ever.

I also remember shortly after asking my parents to use the phone line to play Chu Chu online - great times!

Chu Chu Rocket :wub:

Also, what was up with the PAL cases? I quite liked the design as they fit in well with the PlayStation ones, but they were so fucking fragile!

• Upvote 2

Yup, my Game used to get stacks of spares sent to us to replace any that got caught by a slight breeze. Invariably some of the replacements arrived smashed.

2 hours ago, wev said:

Chu Chu Rocket :wub:

Also, what was up with the PAL cases? I quite liked the design as they fit in well with the PlayStation ones, but they were so fucking fragile!

One of my favourite commercials back then. "Zupapapapapaaaa!!"

I'm not saying much, one because I've told my rambles a hundred times before and I can't be arsed to repeat myself right now...

...but also because it's not October 14th 2019 yet. :)

Official_Dreamcast_Magazine_Issue_0.jpg

Still have every issue and demo disc.

6 hours ago, amorenod said:

You must mean Dead or Alive 2. There's no DC version of Soul Calibur 2.

Yeah that was it!

It was a while ago and never been a big fighters fan. 

2 hours ago, NEG said:

I'm not saying much, one because I've told my rambles a hundred times before and I can't be arsed to repeat myself right now...

...but also because it's not October 14th 2019 yet. :)

Official_Dreamcast_Magazine_Issue_0.jpg

Still have every issue and demo disc.

Was it good? I can only remember being disappointed it wasn’t a direct continuation of SSM. Which would be a hard act for any publication to follow. 

I cant believe it’s been almost 20 years since I got one of these at a midnight launch. 

Wasn't Ed Lomas one of the writers for that official mag? Or was it one of the others? I remember reading something where he said they were basically allowed to do what they wanted with the whole thing as long as they stayed within budget