rllmuk
Bojangle

Epic Games Store

11 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Windows 10 default is to allow you to install UWP software from any location you choose to trust.

image.png.bb7d56b455e20191ae021c25d0ffdffd.png

Bloody M$!

I don't know if you don't thoroughly read what you post, or are on the wind-up, but MS pushing for UWP to be the standard and deprecating Win32 would mean all code would need to be reviewed and signed by MS to be allowed to run on Win10. Even if it's not offered through their store. Which would obviously be massively damaging to the PC ecosystem, and was what Sweeney and Newell were justifiably alarmed at the prospect of.

9 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Where else can I buy EA software? Where else can I get Fortnite? (the most popular game in the world right now)

Microsoft not selling their software on a third party store is hardly the same as the tinfoil shit being spouted in this thread, and I know you are not stupid enough to think it is the same.

They were encouraging other publishers to lock their games to their store too.

2 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

I don't know if you don't thoroughly read what you post, or are on the wind-up, but MS pushing for UWP to be the standard and deprecating Win32 would mean all code would need to be reviewed and signed by MS to be allowed to run on Win10. Even if it's not offered through their store. Which would obviously be massively damaging to the PC ecosystem, and was what Sweeney and Newell were justifiably alarmed at the prospect of.

Cool story bro. But you dont have to have Microsoft sign your UWP app, if it required signing then any valid code signing certificate is good, and Win32 is going nowhere.

Just now, MK-1601 said:

They were encouraging other publishers to lock their games to their store too.

The absolute bastards.

• Upvote 1

It sure is lucky MS are able to keep spontaneously changing course before doing things they've stood on stage and announced.

I now see how silly it is for anyone to criticise their plans, things will always work out in everyone's best interests if we just keep quiet and let them get on with it.

8 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

It sure is lucky MS are able to keep spontaneously changing course before doing things they've stood on stage and announced.

I now see how silly it is for anyone to criticise their plans, things will always work out in everyone's best interests if we just keep quiet and let them get on with it.

So how did Tim and Gabe's proclamations of doom turn out for them? Tim just doesn't want to give anyone else a cut (fair enough) while Gabe and Valve are just lazy ass fucks these days and don't want to deal with competition.

Betcha £10 (or the equivalent number of bottle caps post brexit) that another ten years down the road Win32 apps will still be a thing and you will be able tyo install UWP apps from where ever you want just like now. Oh and you will still be bleating about M$ as Billy G ran your dog over or some shit years ago.

• Upvote 1

Has no achievements or features not already on Steam so a bit pointless for me at the moment, but I welcome competition, if only to get Valve off their arse.

• Downvote 1

The bigger news is that Quantic Dream games are coming aswell - Heavy Rain, Beyond, and Detroit.

Alongside thatgamecompany Flower and Journey that is a whole lot of Sony owned IP showing up on the Epic Store.

Only previous Sony published stuff I remember on Steam is Helldivers and Everyday Shooter, so this is definitely bigger.

I think any 2nd-party Sony title could end up there. Bloodborne? Would still be surprising but you never know.

Outer Worlds and Dangerous Driving, two games I'll definitely be buying from the Epic store

I think the steam store has only gotten worse in recent years and more competition from other storefronts can never be a bad thing for us as consumers.

This is exactly the opposite of competition for consumers though. We don't have a choice in where to buy these games, you have to go through a very bare bones store that has had security issues in the recent past. If it was truly competition you would be able to choose to buy it from Steam or from the Epic store or from gog.com etc

Are the publishers passing on any of the reduced cut Epic takes to the consumer?

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

45 minutes ago, Mallet said:

This is exactly the opposite of competition for consumers though. We don't have a choice in where to buy these games, you have to go through a very bare bones store that has had security issues in the recent past. If it was truly competition you would be able to choose to buy it from Steam or from the Epic store or from gog.com etc

Are the publishers passing on any of the reduced cut Epic takes to the consumer?

THANK YOU!

i had a rant about this in the Ashen thread at the time, but seeing this thread has r3eminded me about it.

Ashen, a game up until literally one week before launch had game pass play anywhere all over it...and then....gone...just gone...yes i could still play it on xbox, but , quite frankly, its far better on pc...as i "tried it" as it had suddenly gone, a game i was looking forward to, just taken away from me, unless i want to pay again, ive already paid for game pass.

and,lets not get started on phenoix point, a fig backed game, which on the fig page still says steam/gog code, which after getting funding, suddenly switches, leaving backers, fucked off! (alot, are really very annoyed about this)

and the prices...Metro at £50, that is clearly not "passing on the saving" as was tried to be claimed at launch. Thats straight price gouging!

The store is shit, and the "exclusives" is not providing choice at all, it s as said above, removing it, by forcing you to use it for games,If they wanted people to go there instead of steam, pass that saving on, and people would flock to it, as it is, im that fucked off with the attitude of epic,

i dont want to use it..even though  games i have been looking forward to are only going to be available there,...ahwell, got a nice big "steam"ing pile of shame that will easly last a year!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

To be fair how many of those 85 million signed up for Fortnite and have never bought a single game on the store?

I am in no way against competition, my preferred platform is gog.com not Steam, but I have yet to see a single thing about this affair that promises anything good for me as a consumer.

Also this narrative that Steam is somehow shit now baffles me. The integrated controller support is simply fantastic, being able to shift-tab to access all the thousands of community guides and help topics is brilliant. Being able to read reviews to get user impressions of games is very important to me, the fact that a handful get reviewed bombed by idiots doesn't invalidate the thousands of games where it doesn't happen. Having a place to upload screenshots and videos is nice, Steam workshop has worked very well for me as well. 

Those are just a few things that Steam provides which I make use of, that doesn't include achievements, trading cards or anything else. Now I'm expected to buy from a much, much inferior store so the publishers can make more money of which they will pass zero savings on to me.

How is this a good deal for me? Epic has their road map but I'm talking about now not some best case scenario in the future.

• Upvote 2

The integrated controller support is simply fantastic

It's fucking awful, I accidentally set my controller up in Big Picture mode to try and get controller bindings for a game where there was none, and it breaks every other game on my PC.

In Forza Horizon 4 the controller worked perfectly, now moving the stick moves the mouse too, causing the game to constantly switch between controller and keyboard, interrupting the input for a split second every time it does so. In Axiom Verge jumping opens the menu, even though the game already has controller support and that's already bound to a more sensible key. I have to exit Steam to play anything else.

I'm sure you're saying "well just decouple your controller from Big Picture Mode". There is no way to do that! I'm trapped by an unfinished feature from 2015 from another one of Valves momentary flights of fancy. It sucks.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I'm sure you're saying "well just decouple your controller from Big Picture Mode". There is no way to do that!

There is, I know from bitter experience after several hours of troubleshooting a year or two back. Unfortunately I can't remember how I did it now but it wasn't exactly an elegant, intuitive solution.

I think it might've been this thread that eventually lead me to it, possibly the post by the user Space_.

It's not a Steam controller, so that button doesn't appear. The best solution anyone has come up with is to essentially overwrite the files on your PC with garbage to deliberately corrupt the feature, but like, that's just indicative of how shit and un-intuitive Steam is.

Mine wasn't a Steam controller and the post I mentioned wasn't referring to one either, he was saying what worked for him with a generic controller.

20 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

The bigger news is that Quantic Dream games are coming aswell - Heavy Rain, Beyond, and Detroit.

Alongside thatgamecompany Flower and Journey that is a whole lot of Sony owned IP showing up on the Epic Store.

Only previous Sony published stuff I remember on Steam is Helldivers and Everyday Shooter, so this is definitely bigger.

I think any 2nd-party Sony title could end up there. Bloodborne? Would still be surprising but you never know.

It will be interesting if any other Sony exclusives turn up on the store too... Love to see say Gran Turismo or DriveClub running on the PC unlocked... :)

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

It will be interesting if any other Sony exclusives turn up on the store too... Love to see say Gran Turismo or DriveClub running on the PC unlocked... :)

Gran Turismo is 1st Party so that won't happen.

Driveclub I don't think anyone cares about, mores the pity.

Sorry.

I just launched the Epic launcher (In order to uninstall Fortnite)

I got this. That's not exactly confidence inspiring

epiclauncher.PNG

• Empathy 1

12 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Gran Turismo is 1st Party so that won't happen.

Driveclub I don't think anyone cares about, mores the pity.

Sorry.

Shame about DC. It will be trapped forever on the PS4... even though it could technically run fine on a PC. But alas yes its a game of the past. Probably one of the last racers of its kind no doubt.  

23 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Arent those games published by Quantic Dream? Doesnt sound like Sony has anything to do with this.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/18272214/quantic-dream-epic-pc-store-detroit-beyond-heavy-rain-gdc-2019

1 hour ago, ronin said:

Arent those games published by Quantic Dream? Doesnt sound like Sony has anything to do with this.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/18272214/quantic-dream-epic-pc-store-detroit-beyond-heavy-rain-gdc-2019

Sony own the IP. Check the store:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/beyond-two-souls/home

Beyond: Two Souls™ ©2013-2019 Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. Developed by Quantic Dream. “Beyond: Two Souls” and “Beyond” are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.

2 hours ago, Flub said:

More Ubisoft games are up on the Epic store. You can buy Farcry Primal for the low low price of err £41.99

If that's a bit rich for your blood they also have Watch Dogs 2 for, erm, £49.99

44 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Sony own the IP. Check the store:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/beyond-two-souls/home

Beyond: Two Souls™ ©2013-2019 Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. Developed by Quantic Dream. “Beyond: Two Souls” and “Beyond” are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.

They probably have to relate to their involvement with Sony over those games still, but they made this deal with the EGS after they received funding from NetEase and went independent. Also thatgamecompany went independent after their 3-game contract with Sony didnt they? Im not sure how much Sony are involved in these titles now, other than possibly receiving royalties from their sales on other platforms.