Epic Games Store

40 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Rumour mill is suggesting the Arkham trilogy collection and the Lego Batman trilogy as the teaser pic has images from all six games.

Fingers crossed

I think it’s just the same image that’s being used for a few other Batman promotions doing the rounds at the moment, like this one on the iTunes Store:

7434BF5C-145A-4CE0-BDFA-85937C2F9A23.thumb.jpeg.a4f1d0c0e1323e48a79401aec5cbc356.jpeg

That would be a very nice haul, mind!

On 16/09/2019 at 22:23, dreamylittledream said:

Rumour mill is suggesting the Arkham trilogy collection and the Lego Batman trilogy as the teaser pic has images from all six games.

Fingers crossed

Spot on, crazy bundle of games really.

Next month is another bundle including metro 2033 redux. Everything is also highlighted but the title says bundle so maybe some more games included too. Undoubtedly Metro redux too.

Hmmm, Arkham Knight in 4k60 is oddly clinical. It loses the filmic quality of the console versions. Also, performance when driving is showstoppingly bad. :(

Ah well, it was free! :lol:

Edit: Turning off all the fancy nvidia works stuff appears to have sorted the performance. :)

edit 2: Yep, played solidly all the way up to and just past Ace Chemicals. Almost rock solid at 4k60. :) 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I don't know if it was always the case, or the big update that downloaded today. But the Arkham Knight in this collection includes all the DLC episodes and side missions. 

I never played the Batgirl episode before. :D

Yay. The collection on steam has the DLC so was somewhat disappointed when it appeared to be missing on the epic store version

On 20/09/2019 at 03:35, Timmo said:

have they actually lost their minds

I've been thinking about this. I love a free game as much as the next person. And I always thought that various industry bodies had it wrong about things like covermounts (which were a godsend during the dying days of the 8 bits where it as impossible to get new or old titles anywhere outside the UK otherwise.)

The Epic giveaways though are too generous, to the point where it's like the deal that killed the Atari ST games market in the UK.

pub_atari_summer_pack.jpg

And later

powerpack_atari_d7_18.jpg

Fantastic for the end user. But imagine trying to actually sell a game to someone who's been loaded up with enough free games to last a year in one hit!

I dunno, it's really no different to Microsoft having to give away all their AAAA games to get people to subscribe to XGP, consumer expectations keep on getting raised and PC games have been devalued for many years now by the pile of mega budget titles that have been given away over the years.

Some of the comments from certain people once Epic started bringing in the big guns were pretty telling, indie games are so worthless, you can give away even the cream of the crop and some people wouldn't bat an eyelid and so it takes mega budget titles to move the needle now.

By the end of this run, Epic will have enabled a bigger entirely free game library of mostly killer titles than I own games on nearly all competing digital delivery platforms, any new entrant will have their work cut out matching that in future.

Rockstar have decided to move up a gear this week too and are throwing away GTA: San Andreas, which is better than what Blizzard or Bethesda could manage when they went looking for customers.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61123/Download-The-Rockstar-Games-Launcher

Fun bug they've had for like, nine months apparently:

It's a really interesting look into their priorities I think. They're clearly not throwing money into the development of the launcher - otherwise we'd see clear progress in terms of getting the functionality rock solid. I guess they know it would take a huge effort to compete with Steam on that front, and no-one will switch stores just to get a "similar" experience anyway, so what's the point? Might as well shovel all their budget into exclusives / freebies.

I registered with Epic for the first time for the free Batman games, and my first impressions of the launcher haven't been good.

I tried to install one of the Lego Batman games, but it kept stopping with an error message that I do not have permission to install to that folder - even though I'd entered my admin password in the UAC window. After a few attempts I realised that this was because the Epic Launcher had installed to its default location of C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games, but the game's installation process had by default selected the non-existent path C:\Program Files\Epic Games.

Not the biggest hurdle in the world, and it looks like subsequent game installations are remembering to point to Program Files (x86) by default. But when you're running Steam competitor for the very first time, you don't expect something as simple as that to be an issue!

Also, unlike Steam, the Epic launcher doesn't tell you how much HDD space a game installation will take up. Before I noticed the incorrect installation path, the first thing I thought of was that maybe the game wasn't installing because it would fill up my C: drive.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Nick R said:

Also, unlike Steam, the Epic launcher doesn't tell you how much HDD space a game installation will take up. Before I noticed the incorrect installation path, the first thing I thought of was that maybe the game wasn't installing because it would fill up my C: drive.

Oculus home has exactly the same issue.  Annoying when you're used to how well Steam handles stuff like this.

I just saw that Minit is free from the 3rd of October.

If you haven't heard of it, it's a great little 8 bit style adventure game with shades of Zelda and Dizzy and a gimmick that you die and respawn at the last bed you slept in every 60 seconds. So there's this fun loop of setting out on tiny little micro expeditions as you explore, with a cool mix of urgency and just poking around to see what happens. It's normally a bit pricey considering it's only 1-2 hours long, but for free you can't go wrong!

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Incase some have missed it, the epic sale has started.

On top of some great prices and free games, they are doing a £10 voucher deal with a twist. You get a £10 up front to spend on anything. If you buy something £13.99 or over, you get another £10 voucher with the same set up.

This means that you can potentially stack continuous discounts on games just over the £13.99 bar.

So, for example, all of these would chain:

Manifold garden £4.39

Subnautica below zero £5.49

Wattam £5.99

Arise: a simple story £5.90

Plus a load more. You can then use the final voucher on something below £13.99 to end the chain.

I've only done manifold garden so far, as that is something that I have been after for a while. Unfortunately, superliminal and griftlands are just under the £13.99 so won't stack but I will probably end my stack with griftlands.

• Upvote 4

Shame that their library is so small though, from my quick glance I think only Assassin's Creed Odyssey Gold edition at £20 appeals - though as that'll be my first ever Epic purchase I suppose they've done what they set out to do and entice new customers. 

Wattam (the latest game from the designer of Katamari Damacy) for £5.99 is an absolute steal. As is Into the Breach for £0, as it's today's freebie. 

I also picked up Anno 1800 for £19.49, and am sorely tempted to grab a few more things. Even though my PC is currently dead, and presumably will be until the new year.