Pob

Be a thread starter!

8 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I've started a few great threads and that's the truth.

10 PRINT "I am skill."

20 GOTO 10

Oh yes, I should've given you a mention. Top work!

Mm, sometimes I'll find a nice indie game or something and search the forum for any discussion only to find that it's scattered in the Steam thread or something - at the same time, I've been guilty of this in the past (discussing P4G in the Vita thread, for instance) so I know that new threads can be a good thing. I mean, how many people might have ignored Astro Bot if it was buried in the PSVR thread?

More importantly, searching works (at least until a forum software update breaks something :hat:  ). If a thread starter's doing things right, you can search for a game and limit your search to thread titles, and you'll see if there's a thread you can jump into. If people use tags correctly, you can browse results for the Switch tag instead of browsing a 1200-page megathread to see if anyone's discussed a particular game. So there's no reason not to make more threads.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I like to read people's considered thoughts about games that came out a while ago, away from the hype and excitement. Threads for new games are filled with discussion about patches or performance and throwaway posts about reaching certain parts. I made a thread about Titanfall 2 being very cheap on PSN at the moment and there must have been fifty posts from people praising the game and discussing it in hindsight. I feel like people don't like to resurrect an old thread to talk about a game some time after playing it, even though those posts are the exact ones I want to read.

I like new threads about older games. I don't know the best format for it (Perhaps something like: "'Game' was released a year ago today, what are your thoughts about it?" etc), but it's always nice to read lasting impressions about games once the dust has settled and people have had some time to really consider a game's value to them.

Totally agree. PC Zone used to do a feature called 'super test' where they'd look back over recent games in a genre and discuss the pros and cons of each. Basically, it bypassed all the launch-day hype and you got to hear their real, considered opinions after having had some time and distance.

ResetEra label these threads 'LTTP' which I always thought was 'Link To The Past' but is actually 'late to the party'. I think they (and Gaf before it) actually ban dredging up of old game threads, basically forcing people to start LTTP threads if they discover something post-launch window. It's a great idea. I'd fully support LTTP threads on here.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Pob said:

Not you

If you want people to feel comfortable and relaxed enough to start threads, you're going to have to do away with the voting system and encourage a much more friendly atmosphere.

The way the forum is set up at the minute, having any sort of individuality or flair or controversial opinion is going to be punished.

You can't simply just ask people to be braver, they'll think it's a trap. People are scared to fart in case they get banned for a month, now you're asking them to come up and do a jig in front of the class? On your bike, mate.

You're in charge, you're the one who can change things.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

Cheers for the name check!

I totally agree, the specific example for me is PSVR which is a format on it's own, but has one mega thread and every single release discussed ad-hoc thoughout it.  I started the Astrobot thread because it was getting so much love within the PSVR thread where most people wouldn't see it.  There was also one thread for emulation which is a massive topic, and most of the discussion of the Vita and Switch was inside one thread each. 

• Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, witchypoos said:

If you want people to feel comfortable and relaxed enough to start threads, you're going to have to do away with the voting system and encourage a much more friendly atmosphere.

The way the forum is set up at the minute, having any sort of individuality or flair or controversial opinion is going to be punished.

We do encourage a friendly atmosphere, what doesn't help is people implying new posters are anti-Semitic, and spamming threads with nonsense. Remind you of anyone?

The mods are actually extremely lenient (with one notable recent exception). 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

The mods are actually extremely lenient (with one notable recent exception). 

Is that a reference to me?

:hat:

I don’t think I have a bad track record...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

We do encourage a friendly atmosphere, what doesn't help is people implying new posters are anti-Semitic

Wilfully misunderstanding a joke in order to get your daily internet outrage fix isn't the same as encouraging a friendly atmosphere.

I was clearly joking, you on the other hand were deadly serious when you accused me of being an alt of some bloke called "centurion" after I'd made two posts in the welcome thread and then asked the mods to ban me.

You were the opposite of welcoming and seemed to want to stir up an unfriendly atmosphere, if anything.

Anyway, it's not about me, it's about having the courage to start more threads, which I will try to do.

• Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Pob said:

I hate pinned topics, but this is important:

New threads are good.

This place has been going for ages now. We've all settled into a comfortable routine. Whatever point we want to make, there's probably an existing thread for it.

What this means is that lots of megathreads and 'official' game threads shuffle around the front-page, with loads of interesting, tangential discussion hidden within, only seen by regular visitors to that thread.

If you have something new to post, don't be scared to start a new thread about it. Your fellow mukkers will thank you. You'll be a forum saviour. You'll probably get a popular badge. Even if you get a load of negs, who cares? It doesn't go on your record any more. Unpopular thread openers often make for the best discussions.

Don't be scared to be controversial if it's something you really believe. Don't worry if something has been discussed before, or in another thread. New threads bring new viewpoints and new contributors.

If you see a really insightful post that you think could kickstart a new discussion, why not start a new thread, quoting the original one? I'll love you for it.

I'm going to be doing lots more of this. I've even started a note in Evernote where I'm listing thread ideas which I'll post when I get the chance to work them up, so you can all look forward to that.

Be a @Harsin, a @Timmo, a @dumpster or even a @Capwn. These people are great thread-starters. They're my heroes.

Why the fuck is @Capwn not top of the list?

It should read ‘Be a @Capwn, or even blah blah whoever the fuck.’

Actually maybe just ‘Be a @Capwn.’

• Upvote 1

Just now, ZOK said:

Why the fuck is @Capwn not top of the list?

It should read ‘Be a @Capwn, or even blah blah whoever the fuck.’

Actually maybe just ‘Be a @Capwn.’

Yeah you’re right I thought I edited out the “even” as it’s a bit shitty. I love his threads. 

I've let you all down recently, I set up a couple of threads for xmas adverts and then scuttled off on a 2 week cruise so I wasn't able to keep the threads up to date. I truly believe that if you create a thread that it's your duty to keep that thread exciting and fresh. Unless it's clearly obvious that nobody is interested at all, if that's the case you should have the common decency to request that a mod delete it from the face of the earth.

It's all about moderation and management. Don't over do it, for example I was going to make a 'Show us your tree!' thread on Dec 1st like I normally do but found the strength to ignore that urge this year. Very proud of myself.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

15 hours ago, witchypoos said:

Wilfully misunderstanding a joke in order to get your daily internet outrage fix isn't the same as encouraging a friendly atmosphere.

I was clearly joking, you on the other hand were deadly serious when you accused me of being an alt of some bloke called "centurion" after I'd made two posts in the welcome thread and then asked the mods to ban me.

You were the opposite of welcoming and seemed to want to stir up an unfriendly atmosphere, if anything.

Anyway, it's not about me, it's about having the courage to start more threads, which I will try to do.

I mean, you’re clearly an alt. There’s no way a new poster would be as upset as you are about their treatment but also choose to stay. You’ve clearly got an axe to grind and are already deeply invested emotionally in this place.

• Upvote 6

I don't know if it originated there, but the newsgroup that a few here are familiar with (uk.games.video.misc) used to have a weekly thread started by whoever got there first on a Monday called 'Play, Want, Bin xx/xx/xx'.  Basically it is as the title suggests, people used to, and perhaps still do ( @deKay?)  post lists of games with a few thoughts in three separate parts with what they have played over the last weekend (or week if preferred), upcoming gaming things they want, followed by anything gaming wise they want to bin, games they hate, can't get on with, etc.

It was nice to see what others were playing and get recommendations of things I may have otherwise overlooked, find out, or get reminders about upcoming releases, and see which things are probably best avoided.  Would that be a good idea for here, a fresh new thread every week, or do people think it would detract too much from specific game discussion in dedicated threads?

• Upvote 1