Pob

Be a thread starter! *sponsored by Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - coming to a platform near you this Friday

5 hours ago, witchypoos said:

This is really confusing, I feel horrible.

I don't know who you are or what I've done wrong.

Just post amusing pictures for a few years and they'll forget all about anything eventually.

Except that one guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

This place isn't for people who don't like videogames anymore - you don't gain any traction from alternative viewpoints, they're just seen as negative by those heavily invested in their hobby. But you're not just picking at genres you don't enjoy, they're ones you used to and which have regressed over decades. I was thinking about F-Zero X on the drive to work this morning (i have the soundtrack on my ipod shuffle so I'm reminded of it most days now) and the game was just fucking brilliant. It's not hard to sum up. It was insanely fast 60fps 30 crafts per race. Now imagine it online! Well 20 years have passed, don't bother.

The thing that always amazes me thinking back is how condensed the 90s was. I'll think; i was playing Rock N Roll Racing and Street Racer in 94 and just 4 years later F-Zero X and Wave Race 64. It's a leap that's hard to process in this era of 4 year development cycles and a feeling of fragmentation in popular culture where each decade no longer is defined. It's endlessly stretched, Halo sequels are still being made 16 years later as well are numerous remakes and reimaginings of late 90s breakthrough 3D games. 

The kind of low budget indie attempts aren't worth bothering with. You're not getting the plus of a fierce fresh individual spirit bursting through, you're getting failed attempts at professionalism by people who don't seem to understand the essence of the brilliance of what they're trying to imitate.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

The kind of low budget indie attempts aren't worth bothering with. You're not getting the plus of a fierce fresh individual spirit bursting through, you're getting failed attempts at professionalism by people who don't seem to understand the essence of the brilliance of what they're trying to imitate.

I don't agree with this. You get loads of indie games coming through which encapsulate that old-school zx spectrum era, charming little dollops of fart cooked genius fresh from the eccentric one man coders stuffy bedroom.
Loads of small teams churning out very individualistic stuff.

There are loads of doujin shooters that not only match the games they're inspired by, but often eclipse them.

21 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

This place isn't for people who don't like videogames anymore

Aw man, are you talking about yourself there? We can definitely fix that.

Have you played spelunky?

1 hour ago, witchypoos said:

I don't agree with this. You get loads of indie games coming through which encapsulate that old-school zx spectrum era, charming little dollops of fart cooked genius fresh from the eccentric one man coders stuffy bedroom.

Loads of small teams churning out very individualistic stuff.

They can be very pretty and stylish and cool but lack real personality. There's too much time consuming technical difficulty to produce a game that it leaves no room for a trashy punk attitude to be expressed. I get severely bored by tame professionalism, of 'very good' stuff, produced, constructed, everything in its right place. I want to be confronted by a game where i think; what the fuck is this? That's incendiary, vicious, all over the place, aggressive, mysterious, subversive. I live for that. The future of games is not following film in being huge productions with 1000 people of various skills involved doing their specific thing, it's following music in allowing deranged obsessive virtuosos to fuck with your head. 

I want a menu screen where i crawl through a person's brain in search of the 'New Game' option only to stumble across a jumble of words that provoke a horrific memory to occur where a human is suffocating via a plastic bag and all i can do is pace around a room and tolerate it. 'Heh did you download that game'-what game?-'fucking before i even begun i triggered some hellish scene wtf'. Lol oh that..no i found family holiday listed and spent ages going down a slide..wait what??

But i don't even know if it can be done without the results still be comprehended and grappled with as you define what you're experiencing. If something is abstract it becomes..'abstract'. A developer would have to really think about it, pursue it. I still get a rare thrill, like videogames have been reset, like I've never played any before, like the future starts now with it, like it breaks open the medium. And it's so vivid, i know exactly what it's doing which just makes it all the more galling when other games don't take what they did and run with it. 

There are loads of doujin shooters that not only match the games they're inspired by, but often eclipse them.

Aw man, are you talking about yourself there? We can definitely fix that.

Have you played spelunky?

I haven't. Tbh, i don't want to shit all over games people like. I'll accept it's more me than them, but i loved videogames as a kid, i guess everyone here did and what happens when you stop caring entirely is you fixate on what games you liked in the past did, and you really really think about it, a lot. I no longer have the desire to play so the only reason would be intrigue. I'm too far gone and it's late and I'm tired and I'm disillusioned with everyone and everything and i want my mind fucked by a game.

On 05/12/2018 at 21:51, deKay said:

Yeah, that still goes on in the group. Not sure it would work so well here though.

I would love a play / want / bin thread. A bit of that happens in the completed / abandon games thread.

Have you actually read back through this thread, or just picked up on the last few posts?

I've said enough on the subject now. So long as he stops posting nonsense, it's fine by me. 

11 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

This place isn't for people who don't like videogames anymore - you don't gain any traction from alternative viewpoints, they're just seen as negative by those heavily invested in their hobby. But you're not just picking at genres you don't enjoy, they're ones you used to and which have regressed over decades. I was thinking about F-Zero X on the drive to work this morning (i have the soundtrack on my ipod shuffle so I'm reminded of it most days now) and the game was just fucking brilliant. It's not hard to sum up. It was insanely fast 60fps 30 crafts per race. Now imagine it online! Well 20 years have passed, don't bother.

The thing that always amazes me thinking back is how condensed the 90s was. I'll think; i was playing Rock N Roll Racing and Street Racer in 94 and just 4 years later F-Zero X and Wave Race 64. It's a leap that's hard to process in this era of 4 year development cycles and a feeling of fragmentation in popular culture where each decade no longer is defined. It's endlessly stretched, Halo sequels are still being made 16 years later as well are numerous remakes and reimaginings of late 90s breakthrough 3D games. 

Make a thread

• Upvote 2

On 06/12/2018 at 21:38, NEG said:

Just post amusing pictures for a few years

Well, let us know when you start.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, smac said:

Well, let us know when you start.

70+ likes on a single picture over Christmas. Go beat it instead of being a dick.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Man, and I deliberately un-ignored him and everything!

To be fair, I was totally being a dick with my post; NEG's got me bang to rights, there. I don't normally take the mickey like that, but I just couldn't resist. It was a sly dig, for sure.

I mean, there's a lot of Sonic fanart he's brought us over the years, but I wouldn't describe any of it as amusing.

On 07/12/2018 at 00:19, Loik V credern said:

I want a menu screen where i crawl through a person's brain in search of the 'New Game' option only to stumble across a jumble of words that provoke a horrific memory to occur where a human is suffocating via a plastic bag and all i can do is pace around a room and tolerate it. 'Heh did you download that game'-what game?-'fucking before i even begun i triggered some hellish scene wtf'. Lol oh that..no i found family holiday listed and spent ages going down a slide..wait what??

On 07/12/2018 at 14:44, Loik V credern said:

Go on..

"How to play a game that doesn't want to be played? Calendula is an experimental meta game about trying to play a game. Use your logic to thrive against conventions and get surrounded by a dark atmosphere."

• Upvote 1