IGNORED

Marvel's Shang-Chi

JohnC

12 hours ago, Chindie said:
Spoiler

They redeemed Trevor.

Spoiler

What's to redeem? He was great in Iron Man 3 and great in All Hail the King.

During his first scene in this, I kept thinking "Please don't mess him up." And they didn't... for that first scene. After that, he was almost completely superfluous. His Planet of the Apes joke was funny, but they really went right up to the line on how long they could keep extending that joke going before it would stop being funny.

Hmmm. Watched this tonight on D+. Not sure what to make of it. I liked it at the start but I thought it got worse as it went on. The action was generally pretty good, bus scene being the best. I thought the scaffold scene was a bit of a wasted opportunity though, could have really played with the camera planes more.

Also, this was advertised as being shown with Imax enhanced or something. Presumably that means game standard 3D and bad compositing. The Atmosphere soundtrack was great though. 

This didn’t really live up to the “what if Marvel did a martial arts movie” pitch apart from the bus sequence, and the lead would’ve been far more interesting if his inner conflict and guilt hadn’t been kept as a final act reveal, but it was nice to have one of these with a meaningful central conflict again.

All of Marvel’s important non-whites live in secret high-tech enclaves it seems.

1 hour ago, g wings said:

Hmmm. Watched this tonight on D+. Not sure what to make of it. I liked it at the start but I thought it got worse as it went on. The action was generally pretty good, bus scene being the best. I thought the scaffold scene was a bit of a wasted opportunity though, could have really played with the camera planes more.

Also, this was advertised as being shown with Imax enhanced or something. Presumably that means game standard 3D and bad compositing. The Atmosphere soundtrack was great though. 

IMAX just means a taller aspect ratio in this case.

Someone posted somewhere above a review from Film Crit Hulk talking about the film having a great flashback structure. It's not done poorly at all, but I have to disagree with the review on that aspect completely: the flashbacks constantly going back and forth and being added to throughout the film really didn't work for me. It made a lot of the sequences feel unnecessarily broken up and muddled the pacing a lot. It felt like the wrong kind of movie for that sort of structure.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

Someone posted somewhere above a review from Film Crit Hulk talking about the film having a great flashback structure. It's not done poorly at all, but I have to disagree with the review on that aspect completely: the flashbacks constantly going back and forth and being added to throughout the film really didn't work for me. It made a lot of the sequences feel unnecessarily broken up and muddled the pacing a lot. It felt like the wrong kind of movie for that sort of structure.

I agree with you; I think this could’ve been immediately better as a film had it been edited better for pacing.*

* well, and with a certain returning character being left out as much as possible.

Watched again tonight. It remains so fun. The fight at the end between Shang Chi and his father is really earned, although I will say that the fight on the bus is a highlight the rest of the movie never quite achieves again (although I do love the limited use of wire action scenes). 

Was it just me or was there some kind of smeary blur filter, not present or not noticeable in the theatrical version, used during the last scenes at the village that made it all look horribly like a dodgy green screen effect, when I’m pretty sure it was a set?

35 minutes ago, Popo said:

Watched again tonight. It remains so fun. The fight at the end between Shang Chi and his father is really earned, although I will say that the fight on the bus is a highlight the rest of the movie never quite achieves again (although I do love the limited use of wire action scenes). 

Was it just me or was there some kind of smeary blur filter, not present or not noticeable in the theatrical version, used during the last scenes at the village that made it all look horribly like a dodgy green screen effect, when I’m pretty sure it was a set?

The smeary blur effect is probably due to streaming. Nearly all fast moving CGI scenes like that tend to suffer on streaming video, as even "4k" streams have a much lower bitrate than even blu ray. You end up with very sharp looking soup at times.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

The smeary blur effect is probably due to streaming. Nearly all fast moving CGI scenes like that tend to suffer on streaming video, as even "4k" streams have a much lower bitrate than even blu ray. You end up with very sharp looking soup at times.

I noticed the blur effect during static shot/reverse shot dialogue scenes, no camera movement involved. Which is why it stuck out particularly badly. Even my partner commented on it, and it wasn’t something we noticed at any other time, or when we watched it at the cinema. 

It's definitely worse with movement, but in static shots quality will still be worse than you'll see in cinema just because of colour banding etc. The compression won't help either. Plus literally everyone who has Disney plus was probably watching it when it was out so their servers were probably getting hammered.

14 hours ago, Popo said:

it just me or was there some kind of smeary blur filter, not present or not noticeable in the theatrical version, used during the last scenes at the village that made it all look horribly like a dodgy green screen effect, when I’m pretty sure it was a set?

Not sure if this is what you mean but a LOT of films are using chromatic aberration artificially added or naturally produced from the lens and I HATE it!

Makes my eyes hurt trying to focus properly.

Dune uses it a lot where you get a small portion of the picture in focus and the rest out. Hurts my eyes and head just thinking about it.

13 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Just rewatched it. One of the best marvel movies, up there with Winter Soldier and GOTG. A proper palate cleanser after the shite that was Eternals. 

Oh no, you've broken the rule! The only MCU films you're allowed to call palate cleansers are Ant-Man ones!

I don't even see how it was a palate cleanser, it was the same as most of the others with a big cgi mess of a fight scene at the end. Ant-Man works because it is much smaller scale, no end of the world guff, and doesn't need to descend to big scenes of destruction or scores of dead.

Whilst I wasn't a fan of Ant-Man and the Wasp, the first film certainly does still stand out as being something quite different from every other template film in the stable. 

I would have preferred the fight to have just been against his dad and they left out the big CGI dragons. He'd only just got the rings but mastered them very quickly (as quick as Katie managed archery). Think I'd have preferred for him to have got the rings by defeating his dad and then us seeing him learn to master them in the sequel.

I tell you what was missing from the whole thing - a genuine hero's journey. 

Spoiler

So basically when we meet "Sean" he's already a secret badass who's been hiding his kung fu skills. That's all fine. We also learn he was a trained killer essentially. But what would have been nice is to have some sort of "low" point, which ends up with him winding up at the secret garden place, beaten and broken somehow, taken in by the village, and gradually taught how to overcome his violent past and learn to overcome his demons. We get a few little "learnings" scenes along those lines but it's really short and kind of meh.

I'm directly comparing this in this case to the film Fearless:

In that Jet Li starts out as an arrogant total badass, and ends up doing something terrible with terrible consequences. He ends up wandering, grief stricken, and eventually washes up, literally, at a remote village, where he has to learn inner peace through a process of self discovery and reflection. The important difference is everything in that film is given time to breathe and the character actually appears to change throughout the film.

I honestly struggled to see what change Shang actually went through. Other than deciding maybe he won't try to actually kill his dad. Big whoop.

Yeah, I agree with @Benny. I also think it has one the least-earned endings in the whole of the MCU (and that's not a high bar to start with) :

Spoiler

His dad is a terrible, awful person and has been for hundreds of years. He has a brief 15/20-year break and then goes back to being a terrible, awful person. 

His 'redemption' - after triggering yet another end of the world zzzzz is to give his son a look (after his had his arse kicked) and suddenly its all okay. 

The film basically says yeah, he becomes piece-of-crap v2 because he lost his wife, boo-hoo - and that's only after the destruction he had caused to the families of those who killed her (in the past? I can't remember.) 

Coupled with Benny's good points above, it is just a film that doesn't say or do anything new, both for the MCU or the genre.

This may make me sound like I hate it - I don't - but I just don't think it is very good and not deserving of the all the praise it seems to have got.

The thing is I quite enjoyed it while I was watching it, but it's a much worse film in retrospect on reflection on what it actually does.

I don't think it does much new: adding creatures or characters to a universe isn't telling a new story, it's just putting in place elements that could be used to tell a new one. And it doesn't. So it doesn't "say" anything new for me.

I found it oddly uninteresting from an aspirational heroism perspective as well: it's like,

Spoiler

hey kids, you too can be a secret Kung Fu badass, but only if you're born into a powerful family and your dad forces you to learn martial arts. You're gonna suffer for that shit kiddo.

The film really needed an equivalent of that Spider-Man style woo hoo powers moment as well, but I think the closest it actually got to that was Awkwafina's surprise with her bow ability, which I liked a lot.