Marvel's Shang-Chi

JohnC

I really liked this. As usual, all the good bits are the director's, and any flaws can be attributed to Disney's size 12s stomping all over sections of the plot and production. 

Was disappointed that neither the director or screenwriter are of Chinese extraction, which leaves me with a slightly hollow feeling when it comes to the use of iconography. Great it had such a Chinese-centric cast though, and lots of dialogue in Cantonese. 

Most importantly, the plot hinged on relationships much more than almost any MCU film to date. And while the pay-offs may have been a bit simplistic and under-cooked, it had heart and humour. If Black Widow's familial stuff rang hollow, this one was the opposite and I can't wait to see more of Shang-Chi and Katy's relationship. 

Shame they didn't make the character gay (as that seemed like the most appropriate fit) but that was never going to happen. 

Yep, really enjoyed this! Was a pleasant surprise after the utterly crap Black Widow. Sure, it's another origin story, but it's a bloody good one, and one I look forward to seeing again! Of all the existing Marvel characters to make an appearance, I was not expecting ... (WARNING! Also contains ending spoilers)

Spoiler

... fucking Trevor! But it fucking worked! They dealt with that stinking pile of shite from IM3 brilliantly. 

Also, the monster at the end reminded me a lot of Oryx from Destiny! :D

Interesting seeing non-hulk Banner in the mid-credits scene, makes me question when this took place in the timeline - pre Endgame?

Looking forward to where this all goes now with Marvel and the new crew of heroes from forthcoming films. Shang-Chi is a reluctant hero, would make a great story to turn him into the reluctant leader of the next band of heroes. I don't care if that's cliched. :P

9 hours ago, Treble said:

Shame they didn't make the character gay (as that seemed like the most appropriate fit) but that was never going to happen. 

This is interesting, because while you say they didn't make him gay, it could also be said they didn't make him hetero - there was no love interest to speak of in this movie, no woman sneaking a kiss or chats about finding/waiting for "the right partner". For me there was zero sexual tension between Katy and Shang-Chi; their relationship was clearly one of pure friendship (the film even has Shang-Chi explicitly state this). Who's to say what the future holds?

Saw this last night (IMAX, probably 30-40 people in there so loads of room) and it was really good fun.
Some of my favourite marvel films are the ones where I know nothing about the characters and story and this didn't disappoint.

Really good fight scenes and more character driven than many of them. A solid 8/10 film.

At a tangent, there's a lot of different films and TV series in Phase 4, and it's not so obvious how it might come together.

6 hours ago, Steely said:

Re Post Credits:

Hide contents

Had to be post endgame, because of the sling.

But...

Spoiler

... post Endgame he was smart hulk, and I thought that was permanent....

Spoiler

Course it was post Endgame as there were countless references to the “blip”. Captain Marvel there, too, using the technology they used to keep in touch with everybody (and the world back to normal so it’s not during Endgame). We’ll just have to wait and see why he was back to being Bruce.

15 minutes ago, redballoon said:
  Hide contents

Course it was post Endgame as there were countless references to the “blip”. Captain Marvel there, too, using the technology they used to keep in touch with everybody (and the world back to normal so it’s not during Endgame). We’ll just have to wait and see why he was back to being Bruce.

Spoiler

I expect because it’ll be cheaper on the she-hulk tv series budget than having a fully CGI hulk

14 hours ago, Mortis said:

Reveal hidden contents

I expect because it’ll be cheaper on the she-hulk tv series budget than having a fully CGI hulk

Actually, that might be how she gets her powers. Some sort of energy transfer between the two, not that different to her origin in the comics.

On 19/09/2021 at 18:38, Thor said:

This is interesting, because while you say they didn't make him gay, it could also be said they didn't make him hetero - there was no love interest to speak of in this movie, no woman sneaking a kiss or chats about finding/waiting for "the right partner". For me there was zero sexual tension between Katy and Shang-Chi; their relationship was clearly one of pure friendship (the film even has Shang-Chi explicitly state this). Who's to say what the future holds?

They clearly flagged Katy as interested when he took his shirt off and "we're just friends" is a trope as old as time itself. I am glad they didn't shoe horn in a romantic plot as this was way too busy already. However it will be zero surprise if they go that route in the sequel.

I enjoyed this, but as is the way the characters needed more time and the action less, particularly the final sequence. 

I would like a proper Iron Fist now they can actually show the fight with a dragon and not just talk about it.

Finally made it to a cinema for the first time since... I can't even remember what I saw last in the before times.

I really enjoyed this.

Spoiler

Some of the wire-enabled action was beautiful. When they approached the building covered in bamboo scaffolding, you knew what was coming.

Loved the mythological creatures. I'm far from an expert, but I've been a bit of a fan of some of these Asian creatures, though mostly from a Japanese perspective, but they're all over that area of Asia. Dragon, nine-tailed fox, etc. I want to live with some shishi (the lion things) now. I wondered if Avatar's Appa was partly based on the creature Maurice/Morris(?) is, but it doesn't seem to be.

As soon as I heard that shouting in the compound jail, I bloody knew Trevor was there!

Just got back from watching this with the kids. What an absolute treat. A real unexpected joy. 
Some really top Kung fu action in there 

Spoiler

My palms were like sweating like taps during that scaffolding sequence. 

I was a bit surprised to see 

Spoiler

Bruce though, they kind of made it seem like banner-hulk was a permanent state. 

Really enjoyed this, I think they nailed a lot of the stuff in there, and the minor quibbles I had dont detract too much.

The main reason I wanted to see it was that I looooooove martial arts movies and was really interested in seeing how they'd do a hero who is all about the fighting on the big screen.  I was interested in Iron Fist for the same reason, and they bodged that up (season two was a bit better for fights, but the first give the Mortal Kombat TV show a run for its money in terrible fight scenes).  Marvel films often end up getting decent choreography in for the fights that then gets lost in the edit/directing.  Winter Soldier is the best example I can think of, where they've shown us behind the scenes footage of Stan and Evans doing that super quick knife fight themselves and it looking great, but the edit is cut to convey the scene being frentic, so you dont get to see it as clearly as you could.  I was concerned that a director with no experience of action films at all would make similar choices, even with Brad Allen (who is incredibly talented, or was - RIP) on board.

However, they did really well with the fights - Allen was on the Jackie Chan stunt team early in his career, and you can see some of that rubbing off in how well they're structured so that things happen that make sense to, and the fights arent just 2 people wailing around with little purpose, you can see what people are trying to do and actions lead to reactions, and because of that the fights are more interesting.  The actual skill on display is top notch as well, and they hold on things long enough for you to be able to clearly tell whats going on, while still making them fast paced where they needed to.  The pace and tempo of a few of the fights very much reminded me of Crouching Tigers fights, in a good way.

Story wise I liked it too - I enjoyed the characters and thought it handled the relationships between them well, so by the time they went into the "grander" cgi stuff at the end I was actually caring about what happened.

I think the main issue I would say though is that it didnt feel like it really did much until the end credits were revealed.  I mean the stakes were high, yet they didnt really feel it, coupled with (spoilers regarding the state of how the character is left at the end)

Spoiler

its unique for an origin story in that it doesnt really lead to set the character up to continue much.  Like, every other hero film, it sets them up as something - the sorcerer supreme, the solider out of time, the guardians of the galaxy off on adventures, and so on.  Wheras this, Wong turns up and says the rings did something and he should expect his life to change, but they dont hint at how, and hes not now a superhero with a mission to do anything, he almost seems about to return to his normal life.

Other than that, deffo in the top 10 somewhere, but probably not top 5 for Marvel films.