Marvel's Shang-Chi

JohnC

5 hours ago, Vemsie said:

I like that the fight scenes are seemingly shot in a manner that makes them easy to follow. Choreography by Brad Allan, who worked with Jackie Chan and choreographed Scott Pilgrim, The World's End, Kick-Ass and Kingsman.

Aaaaand that's the only reason I'll need to post the legendary fight scene between him and Chan in Gorgeous:

If Shang-Chi can get even a fraction of that quality I'll be happy.

• 2 months later...

I just hope and pray they manage to keep the camera locked off and actually show choreography. It would be such a waste for them to just film it like all the other marvel films. 

They so will though won't they? The time it costs production to actually set up a really involved fight scene is so much longer than just wobbling the camera about and hiding it in post. It looks better than most but I just can't see them allowing anything like Guinness world record thousand takes (or whatever the exact number was) of Jackie Chan flipping a fan and catching it again which was only the capper to a scene anyway but it totally makes it. 

Fingers crossed, I might just be being pessimistic. 

Unless the director made a mess of things and the editor chopped it up, the choreography should be fine as it's choreographed and fight directed by Brad Allan as I mentioned above.

Probably be a bit much to expect JC levels of rolling choreography one shots. But Scott Pilgrim managed a good medium and things like John Wick tread the right line too. 

I’ve been watching Kim’s Convenience and quite envious of this handsome bastard. Sadly my physique is closer to the dad in the show than the son. 

Yeah no I'm not going to expect Jackie and Brad Allen does know what he's doing of course but waggling your camera around still equals "action" for marvel in the majority. 

There's some really nice choreography in various fights throughout the MCU but there is clearly a supposition that you can't leave the camera locked down or it's not frenetic enough. 

Sorry, I'm derailing and bemoaning something I'm assuming will happen because I'm getting my hopes up. I'll be quiet, it looks good. 

As has been said Tony Leung always improves something just by virtue of him being great and aside from her weird turn in ST:D I always have time for Michelle Yeoh too. 

2 hours ago, b00dles said:

Yeah no I'm not going to expect Jackie and Brad Allen does know what he's doing of course but waggling your camera around still equals "action" for marvel in the majority. 

There's some really nice choreography in various fights throughout the MCU but there is clearly a supposition that you can't leave the camera locked down or it's not frenetic enough. 

Sorry, I'm derailing and bemoaning something I'm assuming will happen because I'm getting my hopes up. I'll be quiet, it looks good. 

As has been said Tony Leung always improves something just by virtue of him being great and aside from her weird turn in ST:D I always have time for Michelle Yeoh too. 

I think it would be a fair criticism though if the film doesn’t showcase the choreography in some way though given it’s premise and influences. 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

This is getting very glowing advance notices. Apparently the action is absolutely top-tier stuff.

Glowing advance notices from people the studio has selected to show the film, though.

31 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Lots of praise for the fight scenes indeed, but what a shame it will be one of Brad Allan's final contributions to cinema as he tragically passed away recently. Here's a lovely tribute to him from Edgar Wright:
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/brad-allan-a-tribute-to-the-legendary-stunt-choreographer-by-edgar-wright/

It's only a few weeks ago someone was posting that amazing fight scene with him an Jackie Chan here on the forums. Very sad to hear.

On 19/08/2021 at 16:43, Vemsie said:

Lots of praise for the fight scenes indeed, but what a shame it will be one of Brad Allan's final contributions to cinema as he tragically passed away recently. Here's a lovely tribute to him from Edgar Wright:
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/brad-allan-a-tribute-to-the-legendary-stunt-choreographer-by-edgar-wright/

He contributed a lot to bring the "Hong Kong Style" to Hollywood and even in this Shang Chi clip, the Jackie Chan influence is pretty clear.  

Jackie Chan wrote a tribute on his website http://jackiechan.com/blog/ and another of this former stunt team,Yang Sheng, also died recently.

Today is suppose to be the second day of my 6th Annual Jackie Chan International Action Film Week but because of the recent COVID outbreak, we were forced to take sudden preventative measures and announced that our event would be delayed.  This meant that all our previous preparation work had to be redone but none of our staff had any complaints, and I’m extremely grateful because all our guests, artist and friends still agreed to participate even if the dates were changed. I’m very touched and very thankful to everyone for continuously supporting the action film industry.

To be honest, these few days has been a very difficult and sad time for me. On the evening of July 28th, a second generation JC Stunt team member, Yang Sheng, passed away due to illness.  He joined the JC Stunt team in 1984 and did some amazingly dangerous stunts while filming “Police Story”. It was during this time that I started to appreciate the skills and bravery of stuntmen from China. It feels like it was only yesterday when we endured so many life and death moments together……

I never imagined that just a few days later, today, I received another unbelievable and heartbreaking news. A fourth generation JC Stunt team member, Bradley James Allan, also passed away from illness….

Many years ago while I was filming “Mr. Nice Guy”, he was just a fan and I remember him coming to visit the set. At that time, he was crazy about Chinese Kung Fu and had practiced it for many years. It was because of his amazing skills and talent, he transformed from being a fan to a stuntman, and eventually joined my JC Stunt Team. He even fought with me in “Gorgeous”, and I think a lot of people remember this skillful boxer in the movie. He has also contributed to many of my movies.

Over the years, he’s made masterpieces that has amazed many people in film industry, including “Kingsman” film series, “Wonder Woman” and many others, making him a very well known action choreographer in Hollywood, and also an excellent role-model to many action stars.

Within the space of a few days, the JC Stunt team lost 2 family members. It’s hard to find words to describe how I feel. Apart from reminiscing my two brothers, I could only say to myself, I have to stay strong and continue with holding the Action Film Week, and continue running the China Stuntmen Association so that we can obtain more opportunities for stuntmen to perform their skills and present their work on an international stage, and also obtain more assurances and respect for even the most basic stuntmen in the industry.  I think I’ve reached a point in my life where if I know I have the ability to do something, I should do something, and it’s certain something I will do.

To my two brothers, there are no illnesses in heaven. Rest In Peace. Will always be missing you!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sandman said:

A few family members and friends have asked me who this fella is as they know I’m a big comics fan.

And I haven’t got a clue. Is he in marvel comics much? 

He had a long run in the 70s but until very recently he wasn’t really in any comics at all.

3 hours ago, sandman said:

A few family members and friends have asked me who this fella is as they know I’m a big comics fan.

And I haven’t got a clue. Is he in marvel comics much? 

He's a C-list hero from the 70s that mostly appeared as a supporting character over the years. First came about as a cash in to the 70s kung fu craze (to the extent the character is basically Bruce Lee) as a spin off of characters that Marvel had got adaptation rights to (notably Fu Manchu) but then pretty much got relegated to martial arts guy that cropped up whenever another character needed to up their fight game. In the kung fu inspired characters he was always somewhat in Iron Fist's shadow. But Iron Fist is a more problematic character.

In recent years he had a slight resurgence as Marvel has diversified and tried to develop some of its non-headline characters, although in this case with limited success to my knowledge. They briefly kinda threw his gimmick in the bin - he doesn't have powers, per se, he's just such a good marital artist that it's like having a power, and he has absolute mastery of chi - and made him have the power of duplication (able to multiply himself basically), which is rubbish.

He's never really been a huge character, and certainly not after that original run, but Marvel have very limited options with their roster for east Asian characters without diverging from other characters typical basis, so he's been the best choice for the movie studio to run with. With some side benefits - you can kinda do what you want with Shang-chi. He does have a canonical background but he's a character so niche that nobody is gonna be bothered if you tinker with it, giving them a chance to kinda stretch their wings a bit. Which it seems they've done.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Assumed otherwise, but discovered they not going to be available to stream at home like Black Widow was. That’s me put off already. I don’t fancy getting a side order of Delta with my MCU film, thanks Disney.

If you didn't know It's on disney plus to stream for free (for subscribers) from October 18th. Not too long.

On 30/08/2021 at 00:24, Chindie said:

He's a C-list hero from the 70s that mostly appeared as a supporting character over the years. First came about as a cash in to the 70s kung fu craze (to the extent the character is basically Bruce Lee) as a spin off of characters that Marvel had got adaptation rights to (notably Fu Manchu) but then pretty much got relegated to martial arts guy that cropped up whenever another character needed to up their fight game. In the kung fu inspired characters he was always somewhat in Iron Fist's shadow. But Iron Fist is a more problematic character.

In recent years he had a slight resurgence as Marvel has diversified and tried to develop some of its non-headline characters, although in this case with limited success to my knowledge. They briefly kinda threw his gimmick in the bin - he doesn't have powers, per se, he's just such a good marital artist that it's like having a power, and he has absolute mastery of chi - and made him have the power of duplication (able to multiply himself basically), which is rubbish.

He's never really been a huge character, and certainly not after that original run, but Marvel have very limited options with their roster for east Asian characters without diverging from other characters typical basis, so he's been the best choice for the movie studio to run with. With some side benefits - you can kinda do what you want with Shang-chi. He does have a canonical background but he's a character so niche that nobody is gonna be bothered if you tinker with it, giving them a chance to kinda stretch their wings a bit. Which it seems they've done.

He was involved with Domino in Gail Simone's recent run..

obl3Wc_AvHCJOar7qpeaHqOYnI9hLo-GfB35GGIR