Marvel's Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi movie coming. I'm not sure if this is an MCU thing, but apparently he has been an Avenger, so I assume it is. They've got an experienced Chinese-American writer and are looking for a director who is Asian or of Asian descent.

The character began in 1973, but obviously is going to be updated to avoid all those old stereotypes.

Does that kind of on the nose thing actually work though if Marvel-Disney are indeed actually only greenlighting this particular character because they think the Chinese will lap it up? They've got a female Muslim superhero too and some other recent creations they developed specifically for the Chinese market if they wanted to blatantly go for it, like they did with Black Panther (which I suppose is more in line with their thinking, hey if it worked on African Americans, let's do the Chinese version, the character even has an authentic sounding name ;) )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-44078700

They apparently already greenlit the female Muslim one so bang on trend there:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44111442

The biggest superhero films in China and indeed the most successful non-Chinese films in China star a bunch of non-White people already so thinking outside the box has already proven to work so much better than going the direct route.

Spoiler

The Fast and the Furious series has basically morphed into an absurd comic book film from its original street racing roots.

43 minutes ago, mushashi said:

They apparently already greenlit the female Muslim one so bang on trend there:

Why are they bringing religion into it? Other than obedient Christian boy Nightcrawler in Xmen I can't think of any other superheroes with a love for God(s). 

Western takes on Chinese culture have done well here before, but I doubt most people are seeking validation through representation in a Marvel movie or anything. Chinese people are pretty well represented in cinemas here, after all, but this'll be a good way to get loads of domestic mega stars into the MCU, which certainly won't hurt. I imagine it'll all play well with the film board, too, and Marvel know how to play that game by now.

Personally I'd give the directing job to Jiang Wen just to see what he did with a hundred million dollars, but then I'm not the one picking up the tab. It'll go to a nice safe bet, I'm sure.

26 minutes ago, Nequests said:

Western takes on Chinese culture have done well here before, but I doubt most people are seeking validation through representation in a Marvel movie or anything. Chinese people are pretty well represented in cinemas here, after all, but this'll be a good way to get loads of domestic mega stars into the MCU, which certainly won't hurt. I imagine it'll all play well with the film board, too, and Marvel know how to play that game by now.

Personally I'd give the directing job to Jiang Wen just to see what he did with a hundred million dollars, but then I'm not the one picking up the tab. It'll go to a nice safe bet, I'm sure.

You hardly see Chinese in Hollywood or even TV, if so they're just very minor. Heck Koreans are better represented in Hollywood than Chinese.

45 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Why are they bringing religion into it? Other than obedient Christian boy Nightcrawler in Xmen I can't think of any other superheroes with a love for God(s). 

She's not a religious character as such, but she is from a Muslim family. She's great. One of the best things Marvel has done in years.

36 minutes ago, yakumo said:

You hardly see Chinese in Hollywood or even TV, if so they're just very minor. Heck Koreans are better represented in Hollywood than Chinese.

Yeah, I absolutely understand the need for more Asian roles in western-made media. It's an abysmal state of affairs currently, and it's important to call it out. Just that expecting most mainland Chinese folks to care about representation in Hollywood would be like asking most white Americans if they feel under-represented in Chinese films. Don't think most people are fussed.

It'll probably still end up making all the money in the world.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Daredevil won’t shut up about Catholicism.

6 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

She's not a religious character as such, but she is from a Muslim family. She's great. One of the best things Marvel has done in years.

Kamala Khan is bloody amazing, her story is more about trying to find a balance between being a superhero and a teenager, it's proper old school Peter Parker stuff. 

If they can get this close to being as good as the comics Marvel can take all my monies.

22 hours ago, yakumo said:

The whole reason Crazy Rich Asians became a trending poster child for the hopes and dreams of Asian (as in the American, rather than the British meaning) Americans is because they have felt completely ignored by the American mainstream in terms of representation in popular culture and why it, like Black Panther, over performed in America and didn't do nearly as well elsewhere.

I don't think Chinese people in China are nearly as fussed about the problem as Asian Americans are as they aren't marginalised because they are the mainstream! Just like Africans don't have the same problem as African Americans when it comes to pop culture representation in the country in which they live.

It's honestly the same problem for minorities anywhere though.

• 7 months later...

Its been rumoured for a while that The Mandarin would be retconned to be Shang-Chi's father or uncle.

Trevor will have to be in it, at least for a little bit if its set in the present, as he was captured at the end of that short by the Ten Rings guy.

7 hours ago, SonOfSoAngry said:

So they’re swapping in the OG Mandarin in the Fu Manchu role? Makes sense.

Is Ben Kingsley down for a Trevor appearance? That’d be a laugh...

Ben Kingsley dead in under 5 mins of appearing if he does.