rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
SuperCapes

Remembering when video game intros were epic

Had a long discussion at work about why Video Game Intros are just not the same anymore! This includes the company logo intros, and the music/imagery on display :D

I mean remember the fantastic starting chimes to Contra, or the Music Box at the start of Donkey Kong Country 3...

This is my personal favorite video game intro!

Donkey Kong Country 2 - 

What are your guys favorite retro intros :) 

• Upvote 2

Product placement! Chiptune film themes! (the intro ends at 2:00 - well, more like 0:36 - but it's not isolated anywhere on Youtube)

Also this masterpiece, because it's 80s as anything:

• Upvote 2

This is where I post the Phantasy Star Online intro again. I can't find the one with the actual lyrics but if this doesn't get you pumped up then nothing will.

• Upvote 4

Coming off N64, nothing has surpassed the amaze of this intro on a launch day of a console when first switched on.

• Upvote 5

Soul Blade is my all-time favourite game intro. 

Here's a more recent one though that sticks in my mind as one of my all-time favourites. Intro to one of the COD Zombies maps, featuring Motorhead.

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:09, Unofficial Who said:

And this is the one I'll always post when this topic comes up.

You just made Tony Crowthers day :)

• Upvote 2

On 29/11/2018 at 13:43, SuperCapes said:

Had a long discussion at work about why Video Game Intros are just not the same anymore! This includes the company logo intros, and the music/imagery on display :D

I mean remember the fantastic starting chimes to Contra, or the Music Box at the start of Donkey Kong Country 3...

This is my personal favorite video game intro!

Donkey Kong Country 2 - 

What are your guys favorite retro intros :) 

Possibly the greatest gaming trilogy right there. 

In 1991 I thought graphics would never get better than Shadow of the Beast 2. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, S0L said:

You just made Tony Crowthers day :)

is he still working with you guys at Sumo Digital (assuming you still work there!)? As a fan of his work in the 80s (Suicide Express was fantastic) I was most surprised that a random google of his name showed he was still working in industry in the big AAA modern team world. Last I saw (when I googled) was he had worked on Forza Horizon 2 and the sonic cart game... Fascinating that he made that transition when so many didn't or went the indie route.

• Upvote 1

He was stood behind me when I spotted it, but yes he's here with me at Sumo. We've also got Pete Harrap here and we've had Dave Jones (Magic Knight one!) here in the past. So quite a few of the old school are very much still at it! Tony is helping me get Crackdown3 out of the door, I've known him since I joined Gremlin way back in 1997 when he had to deal with me expressing my love for Realms of the Haunting.

He told me for the Captive intro above, he did all the code work and hand moved all the elements using his own animation system, but he left the artist to make all the graphics 'As I'm rubbish at those!'. 

I love the stories of the old days, plus it's meant I've wound up out with him and Jeff Minter for a few jars at Replay etc. Hard life innit.

• Upvote 3