PS+ December: Soma, Onrush, Iconoclasts

Soma (PS4)

Onrush (PS4)

Sterendenn (PS3)

Steinsgate (PS3)

Iconoclasts (Vita, PS4)

Papers, Please (Vita)

I for one can't wait to dust off my PS3 and play Sterendenn and Steinsgate which I've been looking forward to playing for so long

Soma is brilliant, but it's better as an interactive story than as a game - the actual mechanics are pretty basic, especially compared to stuff like Alien: Isolation. The story is fantastic though - haunting, thought-provoking, relentless, genuinely horrifying and and couldn't have been done in any other medium. Well worth playing through.

3 minutes ago, K said:

Soma is brilliant, but it's better as an interactive story than as a game - the actual mechanics are pretty basic, especially compared to stuff like Alien: Isolation. The story is fantastic though - haunting, thought-provoking, relentless, genuinely horrifying and and couldn't have been done in any other medium. Well worth playing through.

Still haven't played it but does the PS4 one have the no enemy mode? Lets you focus on the story without the 'game' tension.

Iconoclasts is great. Soma is unplayably terrifying (though I hear they've added a patch to remove the monsters of you want?). Onrush and Steins; Gate are a well regarded racer and visual novel respectively, but I didn't get on with them. Sterendenn is fine, and Papers Please is brilliant but surely everyone's played it by now! 

In all a strong month, no real weak titles, just a bit of a shame for me that I already own all of them on one system or another! 

1 minute ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Still haven't played it but does the PS4 one have the no enemy mode? Lets you focus on the story without the 'game' tension.

Not sure. I seem to recall that it was patched into the Xbox version but not the PS4 version, but I haven't checked in a while.

19 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Iconoclasts! Wonderful. I think this is the first time - ever - that there’s a PS Plus or GfG game that I wanted and I was going to buy, but I never got round to it :lol:

I was looking at it in recent sales on PS+ and Ninty eShop... Just didn't bite at the time. Nice...

3 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Looks like it was patched on to the PS4 earlier this year: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-19-sea-horror-somas-no-death-safe-mode-is-now-available-on-ps4

3 hours ago, Vin said:

Papers, please is incredible.

I think it's horrible, purposely so yes, but it's just grim to play. A fine match for the setting. Also somehow they managed to make the Vita version seem awfully clunky to control which is weird given you'd think the touchscreen would be a fine sub for a mouse. Maybe just sausage fingers, I dunno.

Tried Onrush tonight. It’s fun in a what the fucks going on kind of way. After the first ten or so ranked matches I was definitely getting better so there is definitely skill to it, but it’s very manic.

worth a few evenings effort I reckon

Onrush seems decent enough. I find the presentation aggressively terrible in almost every way, particularly the music and the shit all over the screen (I think they call it UI), and the art style is that semi-real-with-loads-of-whizz-bang-effects look that a bunch of failed last-gen arcade racers tried to pull off, but the actual game itself is a good laugh. 

Not tried online yet, but hopefully there are enough people playing in Asia to get a few games together.