IGNORED

Candyman Remake

deerokus

On 26/08/2021 at 20:35, Paulando said:

Is this available to rent/stream anywhere or do I need to leave my house to watch it?

Leave the house. 

I did, and it was worth it... just about. To clarify, it scrapes above average by dint of a fantastic third act. 

The rest I thought very patchy and uneven. It seems to swing between wanting to be urban horror and Euro psycho-thriller whilst the script feels underwritten and padded. 

The third act feels parachuted in from a much more confident film, with a clear vision and the means to deliver the goods. 

If you're after gore and shocks, there definitely are some but it's a very slow burn, meandering around until it settles on the right protagonist and hits its stride for the last and most shocking part of the ride. 

Agree with that. It's decent but the the third act feels separate to the rest of the film. Despite the beautiful re-telling of the story I don't think this works as its own movie and the original is essential viewing as a companion piece. 

They work together though and it's mad to think that it all came from a Clive Barker short based in Liverpool. It's different I know but perhaps lacking in the root of horror which I thought was deprivation, poverty, poor housing and governments letting it happen. 

I really enjoyed it. It ties in real nicely with the 1992 film and if you haven't seen that in ages - like I did - the film retells events from that film in a pretty striking way. It's not subtle in the way it addresses issues like gentrification and police violence, but why should it be? Beautifully shotsd and scored too and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II makes for a great lead. Can't wait to see him in the new Matrix.

11 hours ago, LeighCb said:

They work together though and it's mad to think that it all came from a Clive Barker short based in Liverpool. It's different I know but perhaps lacking in the root of horror which I thought was deprivation, poverty, poor housing and governments letting it happen. 

I'd love to see an adaption set in Liverpool, with an Aphex Twin "Come to Daddy" video style production.