rllmuk
Clipper

Rllmuk Dungeons and Dragons 5e - Brand New NEWBIE campaign?

Great. I'll PM everyone who's replied to this.

My preference would be for Sunday nights, not every week but a few times a month depending on availability. I'd like to play with 4 or 5 players in a session, and have a larger pool of perhaps 6-8 players so people can drop in and out according to their busy schedules.

No experience necessary, no worries if you just want to try it for a few sessions to see if it's for you or not.

Please reply to sign up!

• Upvote 2

We've got the minimum number of people to play now:

bridger
Alask
Gord
Herbalizer

*edit* +

idiwa

Kzo

Feel free to keep signing up. My intention is to have 4 or 5 people in any one session, and a slightly larger pool of 6-8 to draw from, as I've learned that makes scheduling easier.

I would have been really interested in joining in with this, but I’d actually started DM-ing LMoP with a group of friends earlier in the year. Unfortunately, two of the group up and moved to Edinburgh, which kind of brought that to an end.

I was massively enjoying it though.

So this might be a crap suggestion, but I’d be interested just to listen in. It was the first game I’d DM-ed and I wasn’t entirely sure I was doing it right....

Haha if you want to know if you’re doing DMing right there are a lot of god-tier DM’s twitch streams I can point you at! I’m definitely not a model of good practice, I’m a beginner same as everyone else.

as long as your players are happy and enjoying the story/improv/battles/dungeon crawl then you are "doing it right".

DMing isn't a science that you can say you are doing right or wrong, there are different ways to play.

The only time you aren't doing it right is if your style doesn't mesh with the players and even then that is just incompatibility of styles. Like if you DM and love RP and improv and story etc... and your players want a rules heavy dungeon crawl - neither of you is right.

Personally I hover in the middle but probably lean more towards the RP stuff which is making the epic multi level trap filled dungeon in Tomb of Annihilation very interesting!

• Upvote 1

I don’t know if it’s fair to the n00bs to have a spectator rather than a participant in case it makes anyone feel (more) self-conscious. If this first game goes ok and things are running smoothly, I think roll20 may let me give you co-GM permissions and you can try your hand at running some encounters in a later session. 

10 hours ago, Seamonster said:

I would have been really interested in joining in with this, but I’d actually started DM-ing LMoP with a group of friends earlier in the year. Unfortunately, two of the group up and moved to Edinburgh, which kind of brought that to an end.

I was massively enjoying it though.

So this might be a crap suggestion, but I’d be interested just to listen in. It was the first game I’d DM-ed and I wasn’t entirely sure I was doing it right....

If the players are having fun you are doing it right.

Everything else is detail. 

Added to that I do a million things wrong, some of which I still regret (most often squashing a player idea), have bad sessions that I feel bad about, get nervous beforehand etc. But then I see the like of Matt Mercer has imposter syndrome and Chris Perkins has stage fright and I just get on with it. People are still coming back every month, and although I can’t really tell if they like it, by now they’d have stopped coming if there was nothing there that they enjoyed.

There are loads of interlocking skills and techniques and talents to do it well. There are 40+ years of theory and history and experiments to study and a lot of video and writing to wade through and to see if they contain wisdom that you’d like to apply to your game. 

I feel like I’m improving, and being thoughtful about what I need to improve and hopefully I will continue to do so. I wouldn’t have had the confidence last year to attempt an online game with strangers. I probably still wouldn’t DM for my local meetup group of experienced players, maybe give that another year.

But I think a beginner can do just fine with just the Starter Set and a bit of courage. The game can be fun all on its own, you don’t need to be too fancy. Players can literally make up their own entertainment, we just have to let them.

We’re not professional celebrity DMs and actors and improv comedians and game designers but the main thing we can leverage is that we have some friends who’d like to play and they won’t be able to unless someone steps up to DM. 

The main thing I’ve decided is that as long as I enjoy it, that’s the main thing. It’s a game for me too! I really like reading the books and thinking about what might happen in a future game and sometimes I even enjoy being at the table. I think it’s been quite good for me really, got me to do things I wouldn’t otherwise have done. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Graham S retired said:

The main thing I’ve decided is that as long as I enjoy it, that’s the main thing. It’s a game for me too! I really like reading the books and thinking about what might happen in a future game and sometimes I even enjoy being at the table. I think it’s been quite good for me really, got me to do things I wouldn’t otherwise have done. 

This is also important.  DMing is hard work at times but can be hugely enjoyable. So the DM has to be able to enjoy it as well. 

oh.

So Level 1 Fighter - Galen - got a little bit cocky and got savaged by a wolf and then thoroughly beaten by an angry bugbear - 3 death save failures in a row (9,3,2) meant he expired before his companions could come to his aid.  Galen..I salute you.

download.jpg

"I’m­ convinced of ­the ­significance ­of my destiny, and blind to my shortcomings and the ­risk ­of failure" - Galen

• Empathy 2