rllmuk
Clipper

Rllmuk Dungeons and Dragons 5e - Brand New NEWBIE campaign?

Hi I've been helping to run/DM the main RLLMuk D&D campaign for a year or so now and it seems to be going pretty well (go and check the threads out).

I'm aware that there may be others who want to to dip their toe into D&D, it can be really hard to find a group to get started,  and so I wondered how much interest there was from new players, or lapsed players. As a result I thought I'd offer to run a new beginners campaign.

My first choice is to run the Lost Mines of Phandelver as I know it pretty well and I won't need to do loads of prep alongside the main campaign - although I am aware (oh boy am i!) that D&D goes all over the place. You don't need to spend anything on books to play, we can use pre-rolled characters and the free rules to build your characters etc if you want. I want to make the bar of entry as low as possible.

This will be a D&D 5e campaign (as it is the only rules I am strong enough on to run!) and I'd prefer to use Roll20 (free) and Discord (free) to run it as I am super comfy with it. All you will need is a headset or mic and a willingness to smash goblins in the head and run riot across the world of Faerun :D

Please put your name down here with any experience you might have so we can get ball rolling. if anyone has questions just PM me.

So if you've been watching critical role or reading of the RLLmuk D&D campaign exploits and fancy having a try just pop your name down :)

And if anyone has designs on being a DM I am more than happy to either step aside and let that happen, or play or just DM to get the ball rolling until you are more confident.

This is an open invite to see if there any D&D curious people on the forum not yet busying themselves in game :D

• Upvote 5

I’d love to give this a go. 

I know the basics of 5th Edition I think and used to play AD&D 2nd Edition quite a lot many many years ago so shouldn’t need too much hand holding hopefully. 

The only potential issue maybe is that I don’t have a ‘computer’ as such, just an iPad Pro, but as long as the iOS App for Roll20 works okay I’ll be good. 

I'd like to give this a go. I've never played D&D before so don't have a clue what I'm doing (I've watched some Critical Role but that's it). 

What kind of commitment is needed? In terms of how often, how long a session etc. 

@bridger I haven't tried the roll20 app but it is free to sign up and use so see if it works on ipad pro - If you need a game to join to see if mechanics work let me know as I have a spare one I mess about in

@Zico Excellent question. Sessions will usually be weekly and length is upto the people involved main campaign does 2.5 hrs as that seems comfortable for most to fit in. Obviously once we have some people I will see what the consensus is.

As for not knowing what you are doing, don't worry about that - there are pre-rolled characters in the starter set and the rules are pretty easy to pick up as you go along :D

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Clipper said:

@bridger I haven't tried the roll20 app but it is free to sign up and use so see if it works on ipad pro - If you need a game to join to see if mechanics work let me know as I have a spare one I mess about in

Cheers. I'll give it a go today and let you know should I need a test game to connect to.

I use a 2017? iPad Pro at the table to show  players maps etc with roll20 in safari, and it just about works but it’s not a great experience to be honest. Crashes and reloads the page a fair bit. Memory constrained I suppose. You might find it tolerable, I still use it for now, and I don’t know if it matters that I have a big module loaded (Storm Kings Thunder).  I think the actual app isn’t the full experience, just dice rolling and things like that.

• Upvote 1

I’d love to do this but I’ve just started DM-ing Lost Mine myself with a group of friends. It’s the first time I’ve played or DM-ed a game of D&D since AD&D in the 80s...

I’m worried that I’m a bit rusty and/or shit as a DM (There should be a name for this affliction. MMIIS? Matt Mercer Induced Inadequacy Syndrome?). 

Therefore, would it be Ok to just listen in from time to time? I could potentially help out with DMing in the future if I ever felt comfortable enough with it. 

On 28/11/2018 at 17:28, Graham S retired said:

I use a 2017? iPad Pro at the table to show  players maps etc with roll20 in safari, and it just about works but it’s not a great experience to be honest. Crashes and reloads the page a fair bit. Memory constrained I suppose. You might find it tolerable, I still use it for now, and I don’t know if it matters that I have a big module loaded (Storm Kings Thunder).  I think the actual app isn’t the full experience, just dice rolling and things like that.

Yeah you’re right, the App doesn’t have the full functionality it seems. That being the case I’ll just use it Roll20 within a browser and if it’s really intolerable will persuade my missus to let me use her work laptop. 

if you can roll dice n it and see maps/tokens and move your token that will be enough functionality for what I use it for.

So far we have @bridger and @Zico

@Seamonster feel free to listen in on this when we get it going or you are welcome to listen in on the main campaign for ToA - it won't spoil much if you listen for one session.

In the meantime there is room for more newbies and returning players so roll up if you want to give it a go.

• Upvote 2

Hi,  I recently started listening to the Critical Role podcast for the 2nd campaign which has really piqued my interest in D&D.  I am a total noob and have never played before, but I would be well up for a newbie friendly game.  If that is possible, then I just need some pointers on what I need to purchase.

Thanks

+1 for interest on the off chance this happens.. I’ve been enjoying playing dnd with my family enough that I think playing properly would be great. Should say I’ve played LMoP through once, but I am really good at not meta gaming. Although, would obviously understand if people preferred total newcomers.

I can see a few are interested but unfortunately since my first post I have more evening commitments, meaning I cannot fit a session into my week as DM right now.

From June onwards I should have an evening free to try and run this though!

When I do I will post back here to see if @bridger @Gord @Alask @Herbalizer and @Zico are still interested.

So apologies for the delay but sit tight and hopefully we can get this kicked off in June.

• Upvote 2

and obviously if someone else offers to DM in meantime then that is just fine - this thread was just me trying to open opportunity for a new group - the more D&D the better :D

Just reading through this. @Clipper are you still thinking of starting this in June? 

My background - I used to play a lot of Warhammer FRP (1st Edition) in the early 90s (I'm 44) with a bunch of mates for several years. We did play some Advanced D&D but I can't remember that much about it tbh. We also messed with TMNT and Rifts RPG (which i'm sure was part of GURPS system)

Due to starting to watch Critical Role SE2 I've fancied getting back into it. Just had a bit of a falling out with said mates as I wanted to set up a game using Roll 20 and Skype with D&D 5 Edition and they want to go back to WHFRP over a weekend in some rented cottage. I can't help thinking it will turn into a glorified piss up rather than people wanting to get immersed in a campaign and role playing.

Hit me up if there are still spaces on this. cheers!

I am very sorry chaps but with my work/life balance the way it is at the moment I can't give any more time to D&D. I did when I put forward the proposal but some personal stuff has changed and is ongoing so will preclude me from spending a 2nd evening a week on D&D

I hope there is a 2nd group DM that can come forward and kickstart things though!

• Empathy 1

I’m not hugely experienced but I’ve been running a monthly home game for over a year and a half of the Starter Set (LMOP), Storm Kings Thunder (part way) and we’ve just started Dragon Heist. I could certainly run you through some of the Starter Set adventure without too much trouble.