Roald Dahl stories coming to Netflix - We liked it so much, we bought the company

JohnC

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/27/netflix-announces-plans-to-adapt-roald-dahl-stories

Netflix got the rights to a bunch of Roald Dahl stories and are going to animate them.

Included are

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

The BFG

The Twits

Matilda

George’s Marvellous Medicine

Boy: Tales of Childhood

Going Solo

The Enormous Crocodile

The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me

Henry Sugar

Billy and the Minpins

The Magic Finger

Esio Trot

Dirty Beasts

Rhyme Stew

Some not included are James and the Giant Peach, Danny the Champion of the World and Fantastic Mr Fox.

• 1 year later...
On 05/03/2020 at 14:43, JohnC said:

Taika Waititi to write and direct two shows. Both are based on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but build out the world beyond the book. The first is based on the books characters and the second is his original take on Oompa-Loompas.

Having just read part of the second Charlie book to my daughter they may need to change things up a little. I'm sure no one would have worried too much back in the day but there is some fairly racist stuff in part of  Charlie and the Glass Elevator. I stopped reading it to my daughter when I got to it. 

• JohnC changed the title to Roald Dahl stories coming to Netflix - We liked it so much, we bought the company
5 hours ago, Ry said:

Hopefully they make a dark as fuck adult version of The Twits. 

The method of making them lose their minds little by little by increasing the height of her stick and the tables etc is genuinely an amazingly twisted thing to do. 

It's really quite fucked up. 

I love the vein of utter misanthropy that runs through Roald Dahl's children's books, they're brilliantly, hilariously nasty in places. It makes them a lot of fun to read to kids, especially stuff like George's Marvellous Medicine, which treats the grandmother with total and utter disdain throughout. Obviously, not all of them are great - as per the comment above, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is pretty dodgy, not to mention a poor book in its own right that dashes together a load of completely random stuff to no great effect. But the good ones are wonderful.

If they get some decent creatives to adapt the books, this could be really good - I've been reading Danny, the Champion of the World to my son, and that would make a fantastic film, especially if you ramped up the jeopardy and the danger of poaching. 

55 minutes ago, K said:

I love the vein of utter misanthropy that runs through Roald Dahl's children's books, they're brilliantly, hilariously nasty in places. It makes them a lot of fun to read to kids, especially stuff like George's Marvellous Medicine, which treats the grandmother with total and utter disdain throughout. Obviously, not all of them are great - as per the comment above, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is pretty dodgy, not to mention a poor book in its own right that dashes together a load of completely random stuff to no great effect. But the good ones are wonderful.

If they get some decent creatives to adapt the books, this could be really good - I've been reading Danny, the Champion of the World to my son, and that would make a fantastic film, especially if you ramped up the jeopardy and the danger of poaching. 

My absolute favourite Road Dahl book:wub: