Sign in to follow this  
MattyP

Last game that you couldn't put down?

So what was it? A game that you just couldn't stop playing and on the borderline of being obsessive about it?

Think the last one was Human: Fall Flat a simple puzzler game.. frustrating as hell in places but on par so much fun and just wanted to solve the next part.

Recently the original Crackdown has sunk its claws into me again... .especially as it was a free giveaway recently so now I don't even have to stick the disk in!!! The hum of those agility orbs... still a fantastic game now... looks lovely on the X too....

• Upvote 5

The Evil Within 2. Clocked 21 hours in 2 days on my first play through, immediately went for a second one. In fact, I am replaying it again now, almost a year later.

• Upvote 3

I tried For Honour on a whim last night just because it was free on Xbox, had to d/l a high resolution pack and was pissed off so was ready to write it off even before playing. Several hours later my eyes are taking the knock and it's way past midnight. Really surprised how much I enjoyed the story mode.

• Upvote 2

Splatoon 1 and 2. It's just part of my daily routine now - have some insane number of hours logged on 2.

Otherwise, Just Cause 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and City - all played to near 100% completion. 99.8 or something on Just Cause.

Dishonored - played through the first so many times, now; I just love that world.

• Upvote 2

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I've put more time into it than RDR2, God of War, AC Origins and HZD combined. Not sure exactly why it scratches the itch so perfectly but it really really does. 

• Upvote 2

Far Cry 5 despite a lot of things really annoying me. I love just being out in the world, everything else can go. 

Dishonored 1 & 2+DLC. Greatest game ever. I just love blinking and sneaking around the totally atmospheric levels. I bought it on both formats too! Obsessed.

Mark of the Ninja: Remastered is currently getting a lot of hours. Another great sneaking game.

One thing Xbox One does well is the official clubs for each game, I just love checking my progress and making sure I'm no.1. It definitely keeps me playing.

IMG_1852.thumb.PNG.88709ec7491ca5e1017d8de1a7e4c047.PNG

IMG_1853.thumb.PNG.aee21f4745730a624b482642b2a532f2.PNG

• Upvote 2

There's a terrible 16-bit style bike racing game on Xbox One that costs like £4 called Super Night Rider, and for some reason I could not stop playing that damn game. It's not even good! It's very bad! I'm also obsessively into Fallout 4 at the moment and have been since February. Looking forward to finishing it so I can make a start on 76.

• Upvote 3

I found @APM’s Shudder very moreish during the summer - you can jump in pretty quickly and it doesn’t take too long for things to escalate. Then I look up from the PC much later and wonder when it got dark :P 

Tetris Effect could be another one if first impressions are anything to go by...

• Upvote 3

At the moment Vampyr is doing exactly that with me. Whenever I'm not playing the game, I'm thinking about playing the game. I fire up the PC at every opportunity to get some Vampyr time in. The atmosphere, the story, the game world, it's all completely engrossing.

I think previously Nier: Automata and Prey (2017) were also fairly obsessive experiences, but maybe not to the degree of Vampyr. That game does somehow everything right for me.

In terms of all time obsessive experiences, I played Morrowind practically non-stop for a year and really fucked my studies. Same with FF7, finished two times in a row and after the second time I immediately started over for round three but only got halfway through. Ah, to be young and have plenty of time again!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

9 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I found @APM’s Shudder very moreish during the summer - you can jump in pretty quickly and it doesn’t take too long for things to escalate. Then I look up from the PC much later and wonder when it got dark :P 

Tetris Effect could be another one if first impressions are anything to go by...

Aw, thanks, dude...:blush:

Did you go back and try Survival and Time Attack Mode, at all? Time Attack is my favourite mode, and you can also enjoy the new tunes I put in it as well.

• Upvote 2

Dead Cells. I'm still playing it despite thinking that it's a bit broken (especially if you finally manage to kill the final boss). There are so many little things wrong with it, but it can still make you feel all kinds of bad-ass when it works.

I've been trying for ages to beat it with 2 stem cells (very hard difficulty) but haven't quite managed it yet (I've reached the final boss a few times, but really need to get there with all my health flasks intact, and a good set of kit, which requires both skill and luck).

8 minutes ago, APM said:

Aw, thanks, dude...:blush:

Did you go back and try Survival and Time Attack Mode, at all? Time Attack is my favourite mode, and you can also enjoy the new tunes I put in it as well.

I think Survival was the last thing I tried, and then I got overwhelmed with other new releases and Steam sale stuff :doh: I'll be back though. ;) 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Probably Into the Breach.

Sames. Just kept replaying it. I could feel myself getting better after every playthrough, which was incredibly rewarding.

The last few games I couldn't put down (and still can't in some cases) are Slay the Spire (even if you don't like card games don't sleep on it!), Mario Odyssey, Graceful Explosion Machine, Warframe and Hyrule Warriors DE. I've taken a bit of a break from Warriors to finish up on other titles but I'm looking forward to when I have more time to get fully stuck in again. That game is probably one of the most satisfying grindfests I've ever played! (and the loot isn't even that great lol).

StS, HWDE and Warframe are also easy entries for my "desert island"-list btw. Those games could last me a lifetime! 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

At the moment Vampyr is doing exactly that with me. [...] The atmosphere, the story, the game world, it's all completely engrossing.

I've just started on this, and it hasn't quite got under my skin this much. But it is atmospheric, I'll give you that. I can see me tipping over into obsessively following up all the relationships and stories in the game.

And I haven't fed on anything other than rats, yet...

Ninja Gaiden (XB). No fucking about in this game. Hundreds of hours of bloody thumbs, fever sweats and tears. One of the greatest games ever made. 

• Upvote 3

Monster Hunter World for a time earlier in the year. Probably because it has that endless loop of hunting, harvesting and upgrading.

Before that, Persona 5 last year. I'm not even sure why I like the Persona games that much - it's certainly hard to pinpoint in terms of gameplay, or even story, more something to do with the overall vibe of the world that's just so enjoyable to be in. Anyway, with both 5 and P4G before I just played them for hours every day until they were done. I even carried on straight after and did most of NG+.