rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
bum

What old boxing games have you played, and how were they?

23 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

And finally a little appreciated NES boxing game - Ring King by Data East which was originally an arcade game. Again, side on (but you can move around the ring), good fun to play!

Seems to be Family Boxing in Japan.  I snapped up a copy - thanks for the recommendation.

Riddick Bowe on Super Famicom is as crap as the Game Gear game.  You press punch, and he'll get round to it when he has a window in his schedule.  Not fun at all.

I quite enjoyed Family Boxing (Ring King).

• Upvote 1

On 14/11/2018 at 21:15, Sureshot said:

And onto perhaps one of the worst games ever - All-In Boxing for the Archimedes. Awful controls, uninspiring graphics and absolutely devoid of anything resembling the excitement of boxing:

Thanks for reminding me of this. Used to play it on my dads acorn but couldn’t remember the name!

By chance, I had an email today notifying me that this old blog post had a new comment. Not seen the game in question mentioned, but also haven’t played it to recommend.

Prime Time Fighter (arcade)

https://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.com/2014/03/prime-time-fighter-arcade.html?m=1

No one has mentioned 4D Sports Boxing!

Now there’s a shitty looking amazing somehow crap but genuinely brilliant affair. 

Wii Punch out is supposed to be decent and got one shout out here already. Have had loads of fun on maybe Fight Night... erm, the one after 3?

Anyone remember an arcade machine with essentially twin joysticks but made out into these sort of sticks you can grab and enclose your hand (like an old pirate type rapier). Straight forward for a jab, then circle the stick around for a hook or inside for an uppercut.

On 24/11/2018 at 13:43, sir stiff_one said:

Christ I must have taken a knock to the head 

Didn't mean to come across as a pedant and was going to type more but had to get off the train with a load of shopping and the twins.

So yeah, 4D sports boxing I used to love. I think I bought it for my A1000 primarily to install it on the 20mb hard drive! It was dog-slow but great fun and I think someone already said on the last page, the game had a difficulty spike fairly early on- after half a dozen or less fights that made it too difficult and thus just a footnote in Amiga history.

When I got an Amiga 2000 and 68020 then '030 accelerators came along, the game became more responsive and even more fun. By the time I got an A4000, I was kind of over the game but it did run much better.

Used to be a big fan of the Fight Night series, and Knockout Kings before them, but the series died a death with Champion. I wasn't convinced by the career mode being a story mode, it just seemed superfluous. I found the training minigames - something I'd enjoyed in the previous games - to be a bit too fiddly.

But the biggest problem was that even really high stamina fighters got tired after throwing a handful of punches. This meant that the best strategy was to cover up and wait for your opponent to get tired, when they would become very vulnerable. The CPU would almost always adopt this strategy, so being aggressive was almost always a bad idea, but being defensive meant neither fighter actually threw any punches because whoever got tired first would invariably lose. So a boxing game where it was a bad idea to try to punch your opponent