Detective Pikachu movie

Watched this today but the japanese dub because my daughter refuses to watch movies in English. 

I thought it was ok but my daughter (who is six) was bored out of her mind. After an hour she was desperate to leave.

It also took me the whole movie to work out that it was The Orb's ever pulsating brain that the theme tune had ripped off.

Not seen this but curious because at the time of release, many critics were like 'Best videogame based movie yet'. In hindsight, is that kind of comment still considered to be a fair assessment? 

33 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Not seen this but curious because at the time of release, many critics were like 'Best videogame based movie yet'. In hindsight, is that kind of comment still considered to be a fair assessment? 

More a damning indictment of the poor quality of video game films in general. This is fun because of the pokemon themsleves but the story is predictable and the humans utterly forgettable. If you replaced the Pokemon with androids/robots you get the exact same film but a much less fun film. I also think Pokemon has transcended gaming over the last 3 decades that it doesnt even feel like a video game adaptation, but technically it is and it being the best big screen video game film is probably correct (maybe).

Best videogame movie is damning it with faint praise. It could definitely be worse, though. I don't think you can come out saying it ruined the way the game universe works, just made it more grounded.

Mind you, I was just thinking that the bit where they explain Mr Mime's special ability was a bit clunky. Sounded like something straight out of the anime.

10 hours ago, Stigweard said:

If you replaced the Pokemon with androids/robots you get the exact same film but a much less fun film. 

I think on balance I agree, but it had a lot more visual inventiveness and sense of fun outside of the monsters and the script passed the six laugh test easily. 

As a cut-down Chinatown for kids I think it passed muster, made enjoyable for adults by the inclusion of a nostalgic video game  monster speaking with Ryan Reynolds’ voice. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/06/2019 at 18:37, Capwn said:

Much as I enjoyed the film, the best videogame adaptation is still Dead or Alive. :)

• 2 months later...
On 13/07/2019 at 21:32, disperse and recoagulate said:

I’ve just watched Detective Pikachu. :unsure:What a dreadful movie. The CGI absolutely sucks, the story is just dumb and boring, and if you don’t like Ryan Reynolds there is literally nothing to enjoy.

How the psyduck can you say the CGI sucked? What you expecting?