IGNORED

Detective Pikachu movie

RubberJohnny

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Look, just take my fucking money. All of it. I'm not even a big Pokémon fan but just take alllllllllll of my money.

This shits going to do bank.

We have seen the above trailer so many times already. Edith is so obsessed. I think she'll fund the sequel alone. 

I like that last trailer, I was expecting a disc scratch sound followed with something funny happening and then a pop music hit to come in but it just didn't. Oddly that choice seems really ballsy and cutting edge today, most execs would be like 'wtf?' if you presented that as a trailer so close to release.

So I have been reading up some fan theories on this and a couple I like that suggest this is set in the same universe as the anime.

The Jigglypuff shown in the trailers has the marker / mic combo that is unique to the one Jigglypuff in the anime. 

This Pikachu could be the same Pikachu that is Ash's, because if you think about it, Ash can seemingly understand Pikachu when everyone else only hears ''Pika' much as the dynamic between the two leads in this. 

Plus there are posters for tournaments that happen in the Anime as well as some maybe subtle references to Team Rocket. 

Possibly all bullshit and just some nice easter eggs, but hey I love this shit. 

19 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

They were probably convinced about 3 seconds after they discovered how popular Pokemon is. 

I think the comment about it was more referring to how the 'weirdness' of it got green lit. Sure, can see big execs green lighting a Pokemon movie after PokemonGO but to propose one where the main Pokemon is a detective and has a weird voice etc you'd think that would freak most producers the hell out. Would be like trying to sell a Mario movie where throughout the entire film Mario is this character;

image.png.0a1a479e206bacbf98a4f70fe0c7bbe8.png

They would be like 'WTF??! Just make it Mario with the blue dungarees yeah?'

I don’t think Reynolds being the voice talent is the overall point Capwn was making though. More that a seemingly random spin-off with a weird, throwaway story became the first big hollywood adaptation of the series. 

What would have qualified the movie as ‘safe’, is if it was a direct adaptation of either the animated series or the original games themselves. Come to think of it, I remember people complaining about this way back in 2016 during the bidding war this that was waged over this.

For once, I get a film in Japan before the rest of you fuckers. I'm watching it tomorrow (English dub, Japanese sub-titles) at 1pm, and it's pretty much sold out which is faintly bizarre. I'm also doing Endgame and Shazam on either side of it so my eyeballs are going to be fucked afterwards but it'll be worth it.

11 hours ago, HarMGM said:

I don’t think Reynolds being the voice talent is the overall point Capwn was making though. More that a seemingly random spin-off with a weird, throwaway story became the first big hollywood adaptation of the series. 

What would have qualified the movie as ‘safe’, is if it was a direct adaptation of either the animated series or the original games themselves. Come to think of it, I remember people complaining about this way back in 2016 during the bidding war this that was waged over this.

I'm assuming they did this version first to see how it goes down and then they're going to do full pokemon movie universe with ash travelling to a different region every movie or really milking it and doing a movie per gym. 

It was great. More impressions later perhaps when I'm on a proper computer but it was fun, had heart and was downright hilarious at times.

I got a Milo vibe from Roger Clifford in the film but possibly just me?

PS Do kindly fuck off @probotector:hug:

3 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

I tried watching it but her accent and phrasing wound me up massively. Honestly I couldn't tell if it was actually a review, or just a series of observations with zero criticism.