rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gospvg

Toy Story 4 - June 2019

1 hour ago, Made of Ghosts said:

"Forky" is an interesting concept that could really go somewhere. .

This makes me question the whole concept and lore of the Toy Story universe. What now constitutes a toy and can therefore be given life? What are the rules? Does it need a face? If you draw a face on a brick will it come to life? Or is it the act of playing with it that makes it live. If a kid picked up a stick and played with that is it now alive? What about when children play with their food?? 

Nah, this is too much for me to comprehend. 

15 minutes ago, Azrael said:

This makes me question the whole concept and lore of the Toy Story universe. What now constitutes a toy and can therefore be given life? What are the rules? Does it need a face? If you draw a face on a brick will it come to life? Or is it the act of playing with it that makes it live. If a kid picked up a stick and played with that is it now alive? What about when children play with their food?? 

Or Lego! What would happen in the Toy Story Cinematic Universe if a child arranged a set of Lego bricks into a humanoid character, and then broke it apart to turn it into a spaceship (with eyes and a face so it would be its own character), and then used the same set of bricks to construct a different character? Would the three different characters have different personalities and voice actors?

Or even more horrifyingly... :o

Perhaps it is a blessing that the Lego licence lies elsewhere.

I had it in my head that this was set before Toy Story 3. Evidently not.

Odd that there's hardly any Buzz in that trailer. It looks like he's been pushed to secondary character status.

15 hours ago, James Lyon said:

I had it in my head that this was set before Toy Story 3. Evidently not.

Odd that there's hardly any Buzz in that trailer. It looks like he's been pushed to secondary character status.

I thought Buzz sounded like lots of old recordings of soundbites in it. I wonder if they even brought Tim Allen back in. Can't blame them if they didn't.

2 hours ago, AK Bell said:

I thought Buzz sounded like lots of old recordings of soundbites in it. I wonder if they even brought Tim Allen back in. Can't blame them if they didn't.

Definitely sounded out-of-place.

6 hours ago, AK Bell said:

I wonder if they even brought Tim Allen back in. Can't blame them if they didn't.

Why?

My favourite thing about Toy Story and especially 2 were the scenes when they have to tackle the enormity of the real world. Toy Story 3 felt kind of inert to me because it lacked that dimension to it. 

This again has a get from point a to point b plot but...i'm not feeling it. 

I don't think Pixar can do sequels that don't largely feel redundant. I think a large part of the appeal of their films is the world building and humour, not necessarily the characters. I like Woody but i don't watch that trailer and think; i can't wait to spend more time with Woody. I loved Finding Nemo but didn't care to spend the sequel with Dory even though i found every scene with her in Finding Nemo to be endearing rather than annoying. 

I think Toy Story 2 should have been their one and only sequel exception. It feels fresh in a way none of their other sequels have. The opening sequence is superb, the references to Darth Vadar are inspired. The new characters are unpredictable, the villain being one of if not the best bad guy they've come up with, sinister but genuine with understandable motivations and not just there to drive the plot. So much of the film feels like the writers had a lot they wanted to expand on the idea (i love them crossing a road) and less like financial necessity.

You compare it to other Pixar sequels and there's never that sense there were other ideas they were dieing to pursue. They scale them down back to the characters. Monsters University, Finding Dory, Incredibles 2 all felt underwhelming. They focussed on the characters and forgot the genesis of the idea of all those films. They could have delved deeper into each world but focussed on completely new, different characters, in a way that sits separate from the original and is its own thing, rather than this very polished but familiar thing. 

• Upvote 6

31 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Also, surely Woody's head is made of wood?

What? No!

Hope I'm wrong, but this doesn't look great. Toy Story 3 was the perfect ending. :unsure:

• Empathy 1

Booked in with the Wife and Child for the Saturday, its the first movie he has been excited to see which isn't Thomas the tank engine. :lol: (FYI, The Great Race is by far the best one. :ph34r:)

Early word appears to be good. Hope building...

• Upvote 1

On 19/03/2019 at 19:38, Azrael said:

I commented on this a while back about Sid makes up his own toys with other parts but we watched Toy Story 3 tonight and Mr Potato Head makes himself come to life by sticking his parts to a tortilla wrap and then a cucumber. So they've already done it before (kinda)

Kj4U1QGr_400x400.jpg