Sign in to follow this  
gospvg

Toy Story 4 - June 2019

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

The first Toy Story was the only film they've made that was free of the Pixar schmaltz - the worst it got was Buzz's meltdown, and that was handled with sufficient humour to counteract the weepy montage effect. Toy Story 2 had a little bit more of it, but still bearable - Toy Story 3 ramped it up the max. I'm a bit concerned about 4. It would be nice if they could find a new hook other than relying on sympathy - they're like the CGI equivalent of Will Smith's wobbly lip trying to get an oscar.

3 was ridiculous for this from the furnace scene onwards. The ending was as long as Return of the King - crazy.

9 hours ago, James Lyon said:

I'd love to see a Toy Story 1 remaster. It's showing its age these days and not necessarily in a good way.

Didn't they do this or was it JUST 3D?

Just been watching a clip from the original. Holds up quite well even today I think, it's only really the lack of physical based rendering/texturing, physics and face animation that makes it feel old. Based on just this clip.

I'm pretty sure they did remaster it to some extent in a recent release so YouTube clips may not be entirely representative of how it actually looked at the time.

Watching that clip, I forgot how thick they ladle Woody's jealousy on. What an asshole. And then he basically tries to kill Buzz. Woody is a really awful person with severe anger issues for most of the first movie.

12 hours ago, Majora said:

Watching that clip, I forgot how thick they ladle Woody's jealousy on. What an asshole. And then he basically tries to kill Buzz. Woody is a really awful person with severe anger issues for most of the first movie.

And that aspect of Woody's character was really toned down compared to earlier versions of the film. Skip to the 5 minute mark to be horrified:

Not mentioned in that video, but one of the people involved in the rewriting period was a little-known script doctor.