rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Hierophant

British Restaurant Style Curry

I bought this years ago and had great success with it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Curry-Secret-Indian-Restaurant-Meals-ebook/dp/B002S0KC1M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541861535&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=the+curry+secret

Top tip: close your kitchen door when making the onion base, or your house will smell of boiled onions for a fortnight.

It’s BIR curry you want to search for on Youtube.  I haven’t tried any of this guys recipes, but they look good.  I still use The Takeaway Secret book myself.

Base gravy v2

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

It’s BIR curry you want to search for on Youtube.  I haven’t tried any of this guys recipes, but they look good.  I still use The Takeaway Secret book myself.

Base gravy v2

I'm struggling to watch Al's videos they are making me hungry. 

what I always struggle with the base gravy as they boil the ingredients and never fry them first. That always seems odd to me. 

Have you cooked any of these or just watched the videos?

I think personally the amount of garlic and sugar and ghee they use to get takeaway curries so good I would have trouble with cooking at home. I have this thing l where I like to cook healthy food during the week and get takeaway at the weekend. 

The forum I linked to in the post above yours is your best bet as it's full of obsessives who have worked every angle imaginable in order to make their recipes as BIR authentic as possible, the prep work is key in making a good base sauce to build up from, some of the members posted some very useful videos and step by step pictures/instructions. 

• Upvote 1

On 14/09/2019 at 19:29, The Hierophant said:

Chicken Jalfrezi:

0DE0204F-C2A4-466F-8BDF-3F638CD05F48.thumb.jpeg.1a59b5ad6140d02d93bc889eae311578.jpeg

My wife will have that as is.  I’ll add this phall sauce to mine:

Aaargh picture is too big. 

Well?????

Sorry. Been busy. 

It was lovely but wasn’t real BIRC. I am planning on doing a base gravy (and maybe a curry or two this weekend).  Need some time to plan what I need to buy/do. 

Any ideas on how to resize a photo on an iPhone?

I've found Jamie Oliver's curry recipes very good, from the Ministry of Food book I think.

He gave one tip, to add balsamic vinegar to the pan after browning the meat, which I disproved of as not being authentic but it made this dish

I've never attempted to make BIR, like Horribleman, I just order a takeaway or go to an Indian a couple of times a year. 

This guy has legit looking recipes. He's worked in British Indian restaurants and he runs his own course on how to cook BIR. 

1 hour ago, stephen129 said:

I've never attempted to make BIR, like Horribleman, I just order a takeaway or go to an Indian a couple of times a year. 

I want to eat curry at least a couple of times a week. 

22 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Don't get me wrong, that would be delicious, but BIR is pretty unhealthy.

So Al’s base gravy doesn’t use much oil. The recipe says 60ml of vegetable oil and one tablespoon of ghee. I used olive oil and ghee. 

Well that experiment worked. 

Chicken Chana Bhuna:

99EA1E57-A5E4-4889-8E8E-9BE9E20FE7B6.jpeg.d8de62a9e337b1f7f70bc1d787b7e5be.jpeg

66E6653A-64DC-47EF-97B2-060E2EF4B808.jpeg.d3e0022bb7110406b9e390a4b0fe950f.jpeg

777E71A5-4C80-4183-AC33-F72037CAF61E.jpeg.e11f27ac7ecd87115a24787e3794314a.jpeg

B10D8401-F8CC-4DA0-94DA-F3C71274C22E.jpeg.90ec427641edf2f54fd44f87ba774528.jpeg

I was told it was better than a restaurant!

fried onion, then garlic and ginger then added spices: Garam Masala, ground cumin, dried fenugreek. Then I let it down with some tomato purée mixed with what we (second picture, there’s some fresh coriander in there as well). Then I added the chicken and pepper and the curry base:  third picture. 

Then the chickpeas at the end, ready serve, picture 4. 

• Upvote 2