catinthehat

Your Very Best Gaming Year

2018 is my very best gaming year.  I've been gaming for a (very) long time, like most of us, but this year has completely blown me away with the consistent quality and levels of excitement and enjoyment I've felt with the games I've played.

My gaming time is limited, so I have to pick and choose what I play carefully.  But this year I've played:

• God of War
  • Spider-man
  • Astro Bot
  • Dark Souls Remaster (on Switch, which is the important bit)
  • Read Dead 2
  • MTGArena

I can't even remember what I was playing earlier this year.  Those games alone have made me personally more happy and content as a gamer than I can ever remember being.  They've all been widely discussed on here, and many of them are not without their issues, but from my perspective they've been pretty much perfect.  I've absolutely loved playing them all.

So if not this year, what has been your best gaming year?  Has it been recent, or do you still yearn for the glory days of the Dreamcast/Gamecube when everything was amazing?  If it wasn't 2018, for me it would probably be somewhere around 2005, where I wasn't playing anything other that WoW, and got completely and utterly immersed in everything about that game and made many new life-long (I hope) friends.

• Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, Wiper said:

This is always a very easy subject for me.

Indeed.  That was very much the era I was hinting at with my Dreamcast/Gamecube comments.  I have such fond memories of that period also, but it's been a really long time since I've had such positive vibes about games as I have this year. 

Do the games all have to be released that year? I think it was maybe my fourteenth birthday I got a PS1 with FF7, Gran Turismo, and Jade Cocoon. This must've been about 2000, because shortly afterwards I bought Vagrant Story, Front Mission 3 and FF8. 

• Upvote 1

'98 when Ocarina of Time came out, and last year, 2017, with the Switch. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a console more it's changed things forever for me.

• Upvote 1

1992 was pretty great, because the SNES was released in the UK and had already been out a good while elsewhere so had a load of great games ready to go - Mario World, F-Zero, Super Tennis for starters, then others like Probotector and Zelda. Plus the Megadrive was still in good form.

There was also an incredible number of great games coming out when I was at Uni for PS1 and N64. Probably 1998 would be the optimum year, or 1997.

Not had anything quite as good since then, but 2016 was pretty good. The Witness, Invisible Inc, XCom 2, Last Guardian.

• Upvote 2

2005-2006. The final glory days of the PS2 (and the end of the era of import games)

Metal Gear Solid 3, Devil May Cry 3, Shadow of the Colossus, Ace Combat 5/Zero, Final Fantasy XII, Guitar Freaks & Drummania Masterpiece Collections... it's never been as good since.

• Upvote 1

This year has been great, but I think, off the top of my head 2007 might be my best year

COD 4: Modern Warfare

Halo 3

The Orange Box (Half Life 2, Portal & Team Fortress 2) :wub:

Guitar Hero III

Rock Band

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (DS version)

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

• Upvote 1

98-2001. N64 and Dreamcast. Nuff said. From 3D platformers all the way to online bloody gaming. Blessed to have experienced.

The closest year since is probably 2006-7 with the 360, due to how much of everything I was able to consume at the time when days used to actually last longer than a blink of an eye. The combination of HD, achievements and headset chatting actually made gaming feel fresh again for a good while.

2 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

This year has been great, but I think for games I think, of the top of my head 2007 might be my best year

COD 4: Modern Warefare

Halo 3

The Orange Box (Half Life 2, Portal & Team Fortress 2) :wub:

Guitar Hero III

Rock Band

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (DS version)

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

2007 was a fine year. That also had Mario Galaxy and uncharted 1.

• Upvote 1

2006-7

The PS2 was offering an unprecedented variety of games.

The PSP offered graphics to which no portable had hitherto come close.

The DS and the Wii offered new ways of controlling games.  Waggle is mocked now, but Wii Sports / Fit were excellent at the time.

6 minutes ago, Strafe said:

2007 was a fine year. That also had Mario Galaxy and uncharted 1.

Yeah, I could't put them down unfortunatly cause I didn't have a Wii or PS3 at the time and didn't play Unchartered 1 till last year on the remastered version. But you could easily add those and probably Crackdown and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass too that people rank highly

I've loved 2018 - Sea of Thieves, RDR 2, FH 4 have all been tremendous.

But I'd have to say 2007.  Pretty sure all the following came out that year:

CoD: Modern Warfare

Bioshock

Halo 3

Uncharted

Mass Effect

Oblivion

Edit - and Mario Galaxy of course!

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

They've all been pretty good to be fair.

Apart from 2014. 2014 can suck a dick.

Bloody hell you're not wrong. 2014 was appalling. Highlight was Bayonetta 2 on WiiU. 

1998 going into 1999:

• Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Half-Life
  • Resident Evil 2

Four seminal solid gold classics right there plus other games such as Grim Fandango, Baldur's Gate, Tenchu and Banjo Kazooie which although I wouldn't place in the same pantheon as the above, I still loved at the time. Half-Life, Zelda and Metal Gear all came out within 3 or 4 months of each other and each redefined the medium in their own way. My 18 year old mind was truly blown on an almost monthly basis.

To make it even better I was working in Electronics Boutique at the time too, so was able to utilise the staff borrowing facility to play some of them early and/or for free. MGS for example I played and completed the weekend before it was officially released. Good times indeed.

The last year or so has been phenomenal too, especially for someone like me who loves sumptuous open-world action-adventures. I've been in heaven with Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn and Red Dead 2 all coming one after the other. These days I always feel like I have something amazing or at the least excellent to play and the backlog is ever-growing. Definitely feels to me as if games are better than they've ever been right now, with a huge amount of choice from bombastic triple-A blockbusters to delicate indie darlings. But that period in '98-'99 was when my love of the hobby really took hold in a big way and I couldn't believe the experiences that videogames were giving me.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Yeah, I could't put them down unfortunatly cause I didn't have a Wii or PS3 at the time and didn't play Unchartered 1 till last year on the remastered version. But you could easily add those and probably Crakcdown and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass that people rank highly

Crackdown, too! What a year.

Wipeout 2097

Tekken 2

Mario 64

C&C Red Alert

Civ 2

Diablo (just)

Edit: Actually looking at the dates Marios cheating really as it wasn't released in the west until 97.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, skondo said:

Bloody hell you're not wrong. 2014 was appalling. Highlight was Bayonetta 2 on WiiU. 

For me the highlight was Forza Horizon 2.

7 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I've loved 2018 - Sea of Thieves, RDR 2, FH 4 have all been tremendous.

But I'd have to say 2007.  Pretty sure all the following came out that year:

CoD: Modern Warfare

Bioshock

Halo 3

Uncharted

Mass Effect

Oblivion

Edit - and Mario Galaxy of course!

I forgot about Mass Effect. I only played half of it though, not sure I gave up on it.

Oblivion was 2006 for me on 360, but was 2007 for PS3 wasn't it?

9 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

1998 going into 1999:

• Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Half-Life
  • Resident Evil 2

Fantastic year. Plus other big games that year that people love such as Balders Gate, Parasite Eve, Starcraft, Grim Fandango, Banjo-Kazooie & Spyro

I think I'm going with 2009. That year I played Mass Effect to completion for the first time and I followed this up with Half Life 2 and then episodes 1 & 2. Other highlights of 2009:

FEAR2

Race Pro

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Beatles Rock Band

Halo 3: ODST

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Uncharted 2

Bayonetta

The Saboteur

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I forgot about Mass Effect. I only played half of it though, not sure I gave up on it.

Oblivion was 2006 for me on 360, but was 2007 for PS3 wasn't it?

I had Oblivion on the Xbox - you might be right come to think of it.  I got it with my 360 console which I think was 2006, so scrub that one!

For me probably 2013 in recent years.

I completed the following

Uncharted 2 (PS3)
Skyrim (360)
Halo 4 (360)
New Star Soccer (iOS)
Ni No Kuni (PS3)
Borderlands 2 (360)
Lego City Undercover (WiiU)
Journey (PS3)
Walking Dead (XBLA)
Forza Horizon (360)
Bastion (XBLA)
Red Dead Redemption (360)
Uncharted 3 (PS3)
The Last of Us (PS3)
Dead Space (360)
Mass Effect (360)
Spec Ops The Line (PS3)
XCom - Enemy Unknown (PS3)

Some cracking games I played that year!

• Upvote 2

1998. With a side order of 1999. PC and N64 gaming heaven. PlayStation did alright too. All just before the Dreamcast dropped a single platform of wonders.

We've done this topic once or twice before but it's always fun to talk about. I think in more recent times, '17 was a bit special for me - a new Nier, a new Persona, a new Sonic, the return of FFXII... and there was tons of stuff I missed - Hellblade, Nioh, the Nintendo stuff, Nex Machina...

Also on a personal note 2009 was pretty sweet. SFIV and Persona 4 arriving within a month of each other made up for any drought later in the year.

'96 was a really good year if you had a Saturn..

Virtua Fighter 2

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Guardian Heroes

Street Fighter Alpha 1& 2

X-Men: Children of the Atom

Sega Rally

NiGHTS

Virtua On

Athlete Kings

Tomb Raider

Virtua Cop 2

Exhumed

Story of Thor 2

(also explains why I lived off instant noodles for most of that year at Uni..)

• Upvote 9