rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Majestyk

The 2019 Xmas Sandwich Thread

Couldn't see a thread already for this so I figured I'd start one. Had my first festive sandwich today in the form of the Subway Christmas Cracker. Pretty decent too, correct stuffing to meat ratio and the gravy sauce was nice (although they then offered additional sauce, which I declined). I'm usually a fan of most festive offerings, apart from when KFC did that horrible Zinger type burger with the stuffing mayo sauce. 

Any protips for future fat friday festive lunches?

PR18293_Christmas 2018_SUB_594X_334PX.jpg

• Upvote 3

I've had M&S and Pret ones so far this year and have come to the conclusion that all shop-bought Christmas sandwiches are a bit shite. I think half the problem is that several Christmas dinner components lose a lot of their punch when fridge-cold, particularly stuffing and pigs-in-blankets. Consequently the whole thing is always a bit bland.

Nope, the only good Christmas sandwich is a homemade toastie made with leftovers, and gravy to French dip it in. Like this one I had last year. Bread sauce, redcurrant jelly, turkey, stuffing, and pigs-in-blankets, heated up so that it actually tastes of something.

IMG_0040.thumb.jpg.d8e0d04481632f940626bf02c6578a11.jpg

• Upvote 7

So far I've had the following:

Sainsbury's The Big Beef - Truly awful.  The bun is so thick and dry it ruined everything about this sandwich.  I took the top bun off, and it didn't improve much since the Yokshire Pudding is also very dry.  Then you're just left with some pointless spinach, tasty but dry beef, and two sauces that don't really go well with each other (Cheese Fondue & Gravy Mayo), on top of a dry tasteless bath sponge.  The yorkshire puddings adds nothing but volume and dryness.

Really bad - 1/5.

Tesco Turkey And Trimmings Sandwich - Not bad.    Good meat content, nice fresh bread, and the stuffing and turkey comes through well.  You can't really taste the sausages & bacon, but they do add a general meatiness to the sandwich.  Needs more sauce, it's a little dry.

Average - 3/5.

• Upvote 1

So far this year:

1. Festive bake from Greggs (not a sandwich I realise but it's the king of festive highstreet food)

2. CO-OP boxing day lunch sandwich (ham, turkey and coleslaw)

3. M&S 3 bird roast sandwich

4. some shit from Sainsbury's that was rank

Need to dice with death and try Pret's offerings.

The Tesco roasted veggie sandwich is almost completely unremarkable. I thought I'd hate it for being too sweet because it features both maple roasted vegetables and cranberry sauce, but that wasn't the issue at all. The veg may have been roasted, but not until they have any colour on them, so they're largely anonymous, and I got no maple syrup at all. There's some stuffing in there but it's pretty bland. Then there's a bit of spinach, some mayo, and a dab of cranberry sauce that, rather than spoiling it by being too sweet, turned out to be the highlight because it actually tasted of something. It wasn't actually unpleasant is about the best review I can give it. If you need calories, this has some. Beyond that it offers nothing of any note. Look elsewhere, if you want something tasty.

Sainsbury's Christmas Turkey Feast Sandwich with Cumberland Stuffing - Pretty unremarkable, quite meaty.  Another one t hat tastes too much of bacon.   Straight from the chiller it was far too cold, I can see this being nicer if allowed to warm-up or even toasted.    Wouldn't buy again -2.5/5.

I'm finding the supermarket efforts all quite dry this year.

Greggs Christmas Lunch Sandwich -  Pretty bog standard turkey, stuffing, bacon flavours going on here.  The stuffing was done in kind of nuggets, I think they are designed to be cristy on the outside but they were just really dry.  The lettuce really lifted this sandwich up, without it I would have scored it down.  Would buy again if desperate just because it tastes fresher than all the other Supermarket efforts.  3/5

Tesco Finest Christmas Feast. - Cut into rectangles rather than triangles...   Unbelievably dry, I had to add some crisps to this to make it more digestible in the mouth.  Turkey was of a good standard, but the stuffing was awful and bread far too thick and dry.  2/5

On 26/11/2018 at 13:22, The Fox said:

Costa's stuff is probably all fine because they toast it.

Sadly this was not the case. Had one of their 'Ultimate Christmas Toasties' at the weekend and it barely tasted of anything.

Sticking by my original hot take that Christmas sandwiches are actually shit.

3 hours ago, The Fox said:

Sticking by my original hot take that Christmas sandwiches are actually shit.

Think this is correct.  Making your own is the only way.   

Currently scoffing the M&S Turkey Feast - which is gluten free.

Despite not having any allergies to gluten I figured I'd try this one, and it's actually pretty decent. The bread is slightly dry (probably due to the gluten free thing - but I could be wrong), but the Turkey, Stuffing (gf), bacon and cranberry are well balanced. Probably be even better if I had a cup-a-soup instead of a can of lilt :)