IGNORED

The Gentlemen (was Toff Guys)

JohnC

Guy Ritchie returns with Toff Guys. Supposed to be in the style of Lock, Stock... and Snatch. It's old money meets the marijuana industry. So far it's got Hugh Grant, Matthew McConaughey, Kate Beckinsale, Henry Golding and Jeremy Strong. Surprisingly, it seems Hugh Grant isn't a toff, but a gossip journalist who digs into people's lives and ruins them. Jeremy Strong is a pot kingpin. Don't know the other roles yet.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

This is the first ‘cor blimey’ Ritchie film I’ve seen. I FACKING loved it - it’s really funny and Hugh Grant is amazing in it. Going to have to delve into Guy’s back catalogue, methinks. 

Watch Swept Away next.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it today... it’s a fucking twatting Guy Ritchie film innit you dopey slag. You mutton Geoff?! FACKING RITCHIE, now wipe that look off your mooey and rack up a rail of Chang. What the fuck are you looking at, you facking chicken jalfrezi? A load of road men are getting up to no good, all kicking off mate, never saw any of it coming, did you, you mug? Fack off.

I actually enjoyed parts of it, even though it’s a bit rubbish. And dated. 

Overwrought dialogue? Check. Flashy camerawork for the sake of it? Check. Swearing? Check. Twisty twist twist right at the last minute? Check. Questionable moments of toxic masculinity? Check.

Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell have a whale of a time though, which is nice.

I really enjoyed this. What a surprise! It has great energy, solid performances and a well crafted structure. Chuckled quite a few times and there wasn't a slow moment.

The only negative thing I would say is that although it's set in the modern world (YouTube etc.) it feels like a 90s movie.

• 8 months later...

I enjoyed this a lot, but could have done without the edgy ironic racism (i.e. "Ricense to kiww", Colin Farrell's whole speech about how its OK to call someone a black cunt if they're black and a cunt, because it's just factually accurate). It was so juvenile it wasn't really worth getting annoyed over and was clearly put in to annoy liberals like me, but it still dragged me out of the fun, crime-version-of-the-Beano, wacky gangsters vibe a bit.

37 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I thought this felt really, really dated.

Yeah it's pretty lame, nothing new or imaginative, Richie has to be the most unworthy talentless fuck to keep getting financed for making the same shit films, I guess they make money or something. 

I thought Hugh Grant and Colin Farrel were great in this. I guess one of the strengths of Ritchie's films has always been the comedy characters. Strange that there wasn't really a "hero" straight guy character like Statham in Snatch and Moran in Lock Stock. Everyone was a "character" along the lines of One Punch Mickey or Bullet-Tooth Tony, or the rock star in RocknRoller, or a villain. which made it a bit different. 

Also thought the casual racism was a bit unnecessary. 

Yeah it’s a shame this had to be the pathetically racist, misogynistic dated lowest common denominator shit that it is, because the performances are great and I really enjoyed it. 

It would be entirely possible to make a film like this that succeeded in all the ways this does, without the casual racism, and more than 2 female characters that are wafer thin gangsters moll and heroin chic tropes. 

Basically we should have more films that just have fun with really charismatic actors. But without the out of date toxic bullshit worldview.

I'm 30 minutes in to this and I don't think I can go any further. I'm struggling with the awful dialogue, the overdone quick cuts, the wacky cockney captions, the terrible accents, the racial missteps...ugh, it's all horrible. 

I just can't cope with overwrought shit like like" You let a fox into the chicken house there'll be blood and feathers everywhere" or "I've seen how the sausage is made now show me the butcher shop". 

I know that's Ritchie's thing, everyone's a  cartoonish caricature or a stand-up comedian with a tendency for extreme violence but Snatch felt fresh, this doesn't. Shame as I was enjoying Hugh Grant saying cunt.