Games you keep buying despite not liking them

On 06/11/2018 at 10:01, stefcha said:

Wipeout games. Starting with Wip3out, because it looked and sounded amazing and I adore arcade racers, but for the life of me I just cannot get on with how the hell I'm supposed to control it and invariably spend my time ricocheting from wall to wall. But they continue to look and sound amazing, so I picked up the 2048 on Vita and that didn't click  as I bounced from wall to wall then I picked up HD on PS3 and that didn't click as I bounced from wall to wall and it was only down to enormous willpower I didn't buy Omega Collection on PS4 in a recent sale, largely because I realised it was mostly those two games so I'd just be experiencing the same wall bouncing but with even lovelier visuals. 

I know I'll end up buying it again if I ever get PSVR. 

Well, I got a PSVR a few weeks back and then last night I saw this is on sale for $7.99 on the US store so yes I've bought it :facepalm: 

In my defence your Honour, I did try the demo first and even though I was shit at it (again - although I fared better on the 2048 track, bit wider?) it was pretty amazing. As long as in cockpit view, a quick check of my preferred external view was pretty vomit inducing.

9 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Well, I got a PSVR a few weeks back and then last night I saw this is on sale for $7.99 on the US store so yes I've bought it :facepalm: 

In my defence your Honour, I did try the demo first and even though I was shit at it (again - although I fared better on the 2048 track, bit wider?) it was pretty amazing. As long as in cockpit view, a quick check of my preferred external view was pretty vomit inducing.

Wipeout VR is essential no matter how many times you have tried to get into the series previously.

It also seems easier in VR, was actually able to complete Wipeout HD Which I never actually managed on the non-VR version.

• 1 year later...

thread bumped as I'm talking myself out of pre-ordering  PuyoPuyo Tetris 2 on Switch - I really really like Tetris games (despite not being able to T spin or any of that fancy stuff) but never have a clue with Puyo Puyo games, I want to like them so keep on buying them but never 'get' them, always seems like luck when chains happen.

I'm holding out for now and want this post to remind me to do so.

I have all three Witcher titles.  I like the first one for about 7 hrs before it became annoying.  I played the 2nd for less that that and it became annoying. I didn't play much of 3 before it got on my tits.

I like the setting and stories.  The combat leaves me utterly cold.  I'll probably revisit 3 when they do the next gen patch if there's an easy mode that makes enemies explode when I drink a potion.

20 minutes ago, Gotters said:

thread bumped as I'm talking myself out of pre-ordering  PuyoPuyo Tetris 2 on Switch - I really really like Tetris games (despite not being able to T spin or any of that fancy stuff) but never have a clue with Puyo Puyo games, I want to like them so keep on buying them but never 'get' them, always seems like luck when chains happen.

I'm holding out for now and want this post to remind me to do so.

:) Had the same problem with the original PuyoPuyo Tetris too. Think some things are sacred and mixing Tetris and something else just didn't work for me. Just ended up playing Tetris on this game and largely ignored the PuyoPuyo bit. Although I did play the pure PuyoPuyo bit and can see its merits and it was fairly addictive but Tetris is still king of these types of games for me. Current in Tetris nirvana with Tetris Effect. 

Not a huge fan of RPGs but I do buy them now and again. Skyrim on the 360 was the last I tried and Bloodborne on the PS4. Last RPG I really enjoyed was Elite way back when. I think its more the RPG setting... "Ye olde medieval castles and dragons" stuff doesn't really do it but I have enjoyed Shenmue and Elite.

Its strange because I like fantasy type novels/films - read and loved Lord Of The Rings and Stephen Donaldson's work but games with all the stat tracking etc no. Think it becomes more like work than a game at times. Fine boundary. 

There’s only one - Ikaruga.

I played it most way back on the DC, but never really got close to learning it properly and going back to it after a break to find I was worse than I used to be, just became massively annoying.

Despite that, I bought it again on GC - mostly because I came to Japan with only a GameCube to occupy my time and chanced across it in a shop, thought it would be nice to revisit. It wasn’t.

Then it got released on PS4, and this time I bought it knowing full well I wouldn’t play it - I just wanted to show my support for that kind of game being made in this day and age. And out of respect, because while I don’t find it any fun at all I have a lot of admiration for how clever and polished it is.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

:) Had the same problem with the original PuyoPuyo Tetris too. Think some things are sacred and mixing Tetris and something else just didn't work for me. Just ended up playing Tetris on this game and largely ignored the PuyoPuyo bit. Although I did play the pure PuyoPuyo bit and can see its merits and it was fairly addictive but Tetris is still king of these types of games for me. Current in Tetris nirvana with Tetris Effect. 

I sort of agree with this... in that I think Puyo Puyo is the perfect puzzle game, and adding Tetris to it only weakens the formula :lol: Alas, unlike Tetris there aren't really any great alternatives for my Puyo Puyo fix, so PPT2 will be being bought.

On topic, I'm currently resisting the urge to pick up Demon's Souls. I didn't like the original Demon's Souls. I didn't like Dark Souls 1-3. I doubt that my enjoying Bloodborne is going to retroactively make Demon's Souls more enjoyable for me. But it is very shiny, and I'm sort of curious...

I know that The Last of Us 2 is a game which is initially very impressive, is an incredible demonstration of what the PS4 and gaming in general can achieve etc.  But I read the threads and my understanding is that it's repetitive, overly long, has an objectional story and it's a great game stretched to 30 hours for no reason.  I've also watched the cutscenes of Ellie playing the guitar and found it quite boring. I wanted to read what other people's opinions were of the game and after it's initial release I know very clearly in my mind that this is not a game I want to play. Even if I did play it I just be going through the motions to see what all the fuss was about, safe in the knowledge that I'd probably give up after about 5 hours.

Yet for some reason I know that I'm going to buy it as soon as I see a copy for less than £20. 

41 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I know that The Last of Us 2 is a game which is initially very impressive, is an incredible demonstration of what the PS4 and gaming in general can achieve etc.  But I read the threads and my understanding is that it's repetitive, overly long, has an objectional story and it's a great game stretched to 30 hours for no reason.  I've also watched the cutscenes of Ellie playing the guitar and found it quite boring. I wanted to read what other people's opinions were of the game and after it's initial release I know very clearly in my mind that this is not a game I want to play. Even if I did play it I just be going through the motions to see what all the fuss was about, safe in the knowledge that I'd probably give up after about 5 hours.

Yet for some reason I know that I'm going to buy it as soon as I see a copy for less than £20. 

:D  It's a great game to be honest. If you can stomach the "padding". Goes into "typical game mode" a bit too often for my liking though in that you cannot avoid the bad guys to progress. You need to clear an area and then move on. This formed far too much of the play loop for me and I just got fed up of it in the end. "Oh another group of bad guys / zombies to take out" sigh... Got the second because I *really* enjoyed the first one. Preferred the story on that. Found the second far more depressing to play than the first. Anyhow worth a blast I guess for £10-20. Lovely audio / visuals. If you get 10 or so hours of fun out of it worth the money I guess....

Fighting games in general. I bought Smash with the Gamecube controller and adapter, played it for about 4 hours max. Bought Street Fighter V Champion Edition, installed it and not played it. I don't know why I keep doing it. I just don't have the time, patience or demeanour to learn them to get the most out of them.

4 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Fighting games in general. I bought Smash with the Gamecube controller and adapter, played it for about 4 hours max. Bought Street Fighter V Champion Edition, installed it and not played it. I don't know why I keep doing it. I just don't have the time, patience or demeanour to learn them to get the most out of them.

Fun to play and pretty though aren't they?! :) Still go back to Streetfighter II on my mini SNES from time to time and have a quick round on that. 2D easier to play and I know most of the special moves.......Hadouuuuuken .... greatest special move sound ever.  Love it.... All time greatest fighter ever IMHO. :D My other half who knows very little about games even calls it the "Hadouken game"... :) She also laughs when she hears "Pick it up for multiple"... the "Multiple game" - also known as Salamander of course. 

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Not a huge fan of RPGs but I do buy them now and again. Skyrim on the 360 was the last I tried and Bloodborne on the PS4. Last RPG I really enjoyed was Elite way back when. I think its more the RPG setting... "Ye olde medieval castles and dragons" stuff doesn't really do it but I have enjoyed Shenmue and Elite.

:blink:

Anyway, it's RTS games for me. I don't buy many at all (and only ever when they are >75% in a Steam sale so they are cheap if nothing else) but I've played various incarnations of the Total War series (I like the meta game on those), the Dawn of War series and Company of Heroes and get worn-out by them. I just don't have the dexterity/patience to learn the systems & keyboard shortcuts for groups/abilities etc and so getting through them becomes a real war of attrition, whereas somebody skilled can probably waltz through them in no time at all.

I like the idea of them but find very few actually allow for any real tactical decisions (well, excluding Total War) so it just makes me yearn for the ability to pause and plan, rather than just chucking my blob of an army at the AI's blob of an army.

4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

:blink:

I know frightening. Tried lots over the years - Japanese, Western etc. Is Shenmue technically a RPG? Enjoyed that one and if it classed as an RPG (guess technically it is).

The issues I have with many games I guess is that they are TOO involved. Elite was relatively simple. Pick up learn a few keys - get the premise of trading and upgrading and off you go. Although perhaps I had more time/patience back then. Aim to try the Elite Dangerous again at somepoint now that I have VR and a flightstick. 

Anyway at the risk of thread derailment I'll be quiet now... :D 

46 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I know frightening. Tried lots over the years - Japanese, Western etc. Is Shenmue technically a RPG? Enjoyed that one and if it classed as an RPG (guess technically it is).

The issues I have with many games I guess is that they are TOO involved. Elite was relatively simple. Pick up learn a few keys - get the premise of trading and upgrading and off you go. Although perhaps I had more time/patience back then. Aim to try the Elite Dangerous again at somepoint now that I have VR and a flightstick. 

Anyway at the risk of thread derailment I'll be quiet now... :D 

Yeah, sorry, my surprise was at you classifying Elite as an RPG - that's not something I've ever heard before! As per @Fry Crayola's definition, it's an RPG only in the same way that pretty much every game is an RPG.

49 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Elite's an RPG in the same sense that Football Manager is one - only by a really, really loose definition of the term in that you can "play" a "role" in the "game".

Indeed. However guess you had a basic ranking system (upto Elite) and accumulated wealth. With which you can buy upgrades for your ship. You also had a trading system two with different planets to explore with different political state types etc. Think it was more RPG than a lot of other computer games at the time. Simplistic as it was. 

29 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Yeah, sorry, my surprise was at you classifying Elite as an RPG - that's not something I've ever heard before! As per @Fry Crayola's definition, it's an RPG only in the same way that pretty much every game is an RPG.

Agree to a point that every game is an RPG. But I'd argue that in Elite is more aligned to the traditional RPG genre. You control the ship and explore the galaxies given to you, land on space stations, trade, earn money, upgrade your ship. Lets face it the bones of an RPG game - given it was released in the early 80s it was restricted by technology to implement the ideas at the time.

Yeah, I'd actually concur there - the definition of RPG is very mushy, but Elite certainly fits within the archetype as understood in the 80s; it's a game about gradually exploring, grinding and upgrading, with advancement your only form of progress. Its main deviation is really that it has no clear endpoint, where most RPGs of the time had a purpose; in this respect it feels more like a modern MMORPG. Which is appropriate, given that's exactly what modern Elite is.

its that time of year again, where I try to decide whether to buy and not play the cheaper mobile or more expensive touch version of Football Manager on my phone/ipad 

decisions decisions.

the thing I'm hanging a purchase on now is that I clocked 50h+ on New Star Manager on the Switch and rinsed the thing, so now am back in love with the concept of footy management games