rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Gotters

Games you keep buying despite not liking them

I can't believe I'm the only one who does this ?

Thread is triggered by me spending £9 on the latest iPhone Football Manager game, but yet again being totally bamboozled and not interested within 10 mins of starting playing - I know this is how I feel about these games yet have bought the last 3 or 4 on phone, even double dipped into the more expensive iPad version and have a long history of PC copies too. I haven't played more than 1 season in any of these since Kevin Toms Football Manager on the speccy in my school holidays.

I know it will sit on my screen for a few months mocking me, unplayed, before I delete it. Only to buy the 2020 version next year.

I've trained myself out of Sim City style management & strategy games recently - so have avoided the strong urge to buy Cities Skylines & Civ on Switch - but am feeling my resolve to buy these and not play them wavering.

Its not a pile of shame thread, its about buying games you know for sure you won't like in the hope you will repeatedly !

• Upvote 2

Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2. RPGs with X-Com like combat sound just about perfect to me, but I got very little enjoyment out of either.

I blame the RLLMUK thread on the second game for making me forget how much I disliked the first.

• Upvote 5

Dark Souls.... 

Knew I wouldn't get on with it, but I've bought it digitally as I know I'll have the same itch a couple of months from now, and a couple of months after that. 

• Upvote 7

Street Fighter.  I want to love it. I understand that the mechanics are really deep when put in the hands of an experienced veteran of the series.  I always revert to button mashing after 10 minutes of failing to pull off any special move consistently and it has been this way since Street Fighter 2 on the SNES.  I quickly abandon each new title once it becomes clear that I'm still not enjoying myself but I still buy every release including this year's Switch collection. 

• Upvote 8
  • Empathy 1

I’ve bought every smash bros game. 

Now it looks like the sort of game I’d love, and something Nintendo throw huge amounts of resource at, but I just don’t get it. The fighting makes no sense. I’m determined not to be conned again by the Switch version. 

• Upvote 8

Pretty much any open world game with a map full of objectives, side missions, collectibles etc.

I don’t think I’ve ever finished a GTA game, or Saints Row, Assassin’s Creed, Red Dead Redemption, Sleeping Dogs... I can’t help buying them but probably only spend a few hours on them at most. Somehow they still appeal to me though, so I’m currently trying to resist Red Dead 2.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Smash Bros for me too, I think I've bought everyone bar the 3DS version.  The one I played the most was the 64 original because I was a kid and spent what was a lot of money to me at the time on it.  Even then I didn't get it though.

As the_debaser says the fighting just feels random and floaty to me to with too much chaos going on compared to something like street fighter which I actually enjoy.

I always fall for the Nintendoness and videogame love-in nature of it though so will end up buying and not playing the switch version too (I'm telling myself I'll enjoy the single player portion of the switch version).

• Upvote 1

Mega Man. I own dozens of them. I think X is alright and it's by a huge margin the best one.

I blame the enthusiasm of Americans on the internet who grew up with this shit rather than proper games like Dizzy.

• Upvote 5

The last two FIFAs.

Most of the previous Assassin Creed games.

Open world games in general - recent abandonments within several hours of playing include Mafia 3, Breath of the Wild and Far Cry Primal.

I have come to the conclusion I prefer narrative driven, slightly more linear experiences these days, as my time is limited and I want to get "captivated" quicker. For example Prey was the last game I had this feeling with and finished to completion, and with that I still wanted more.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Now it looks like the sort of game I’d love, and something Nintendo throw huge amounts of resource at, but I just don’t get it. The fighting makes no sense. I’m determined not to be conned again by the Switch version. 

Like Dark Souls people try, on their very first attempts, to 'win'. This is the absolute wrong approach. You're just going to waste time and get angry/confused.

You're never going to win your first match unless you're playing against a CPU on baby difficulty. The best method is to simply take on a pacifist playstyle and try to stay alive for as long as possible. This is how I play against every single boss in every single new game I play, or when I'm new to a vs. fighter. Concentrate on movement most of all, possibly some evasion (if the games evasion mechanics are simple enough), and also try to scope out or 'download' the opponents attacks - see what you can get away with. If you make yourself three to five to ten times harder to hit you're going to be Bruce Lee in no time.

People flailing/windmilling in on Smash (or any vs. fighter, really) is similar to burning through a full stock of blood vials on Bloodborne during your first attempt at a new boss. You're just wasting your time and energy, and you'll be forcing yourself to go back and farm - or to come to a forum and look for help.

• Upvote 4

Modern wise, Forza Horizon. Each one has disappointed me more so luckily I used the £2 game pass trial this time.

But as for older games, I've kept many over the years just in case I 'get' them. WipEout 3 is a prime example, always quite liked it but never loved it until last month when it absolutely clicked and I've hammered it. 

Brace Fencer is another. Played the beginning loads but never further until now and really enjoying it. 

55 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I hope i like it, I've never even played one before.

Yeah, I'd have to say Smash Bros too. I'm really not a fan of it as a game, but as a celebration of Nintendo it's pretty much unparalleled so I get some fun out of it on that basis. Probably not 50 pounds worth of fun, but I'll likely end up going through the same song and dance with Ultimate.

• Upvote 1

Wipeout games. Starting with Wip3out, because it looked and sounded amazing and I adore arcade racers, but for the life of me I just cannot get on with how the hell I'm supposed to control it and invariably spend my time ricocheting from wall to wall. But they continue to look and sound amazing, so I picked up the 2048 on Vita and that didn't click  as I bounced from wall to wall then I picked up HD on PS3 and that didn't click as I bounced from wall to wall and it was only down to enormous willpower I didn't buy Omega Collection on PS4 in a recent sale, largely because I realised it was mostly those two games so I'd just be experiencing the same wall bouncing but with even lovelier visuals. 

I know I'll end up buying it again if I ever get PSVR. 

• Upvote 2

Another vote for open-world here, although I'll open that up to big games in general: long games with 60-odd hour stories, tons of side-quests, complex item and power management, the sort of stuff that, if it clicks, you can really sink your teeth into. Yet apart from one or two (FFXII on PS2 springs to mind) I never get past the first 4 or 5 hours, either there is too much tutorialising, or it's some cliché-ridden JRPG story that I cannot even pretend to like. But I know I'm desperately seeking that game that will grab me and I'll play that shit for hours on end. It simply doesn't happen. And yet I will buy every game that potentially fits the bill, like an idiot. Far Cry 5 is on my list but I just know I'll get pissed off with that after a couple of hours.

It feels like I'm getting value for money, but ultimately I'm not.

6 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Wipeout games. Starting with Wip3out, because it looked and sounded amazing and I adore arcade racers, but for the life of me I just cannot get on with how the hell I'm supposed to control it and invariably spend my time ricocheting from wall to wall. But they continue to look and sound amazing, so I picked up the 2048 on Vita and that didn't click  as I bounced from wall to wall then I picked up HD on PS3 and that didn't click as I bounced from wall to wall and it was only down to enormous willpower I didn't buy Omega Collection on PS4 in a recent sale, largely because I realised it was mostly those two games so I'd just be experiencing the same wall bouncing but with even lovelier visuals. 

I know I'll end up buying it again if I ever get PSVR. 

I was like this for years re Wipeout. Always bouncing off the sides, never feeling that flow you can see people who can play getting into, yet the whole aesthetic is so compelling. Then I watched this one Wipeout HD tutorial video and gave it another go. It just clicked. I'm not exactly an expert but at least now I can feel the rush and do clean laps, even if they're not the fastest laps. It made me realise sometimes it is down to putting the time in. it's a shame there isn't enough time, and too many games vying for attention.  

I don't really 'get' Smash Bros either.  I love the attention to detail & the metric tonnes of fanservice & franchise love they pour into the game, but the actual gameplay tends to leave me cold.  Yeah, I used a Super-Cool series of moves or showy Final Smash to 'Defeat' my opponent/s, but then they just return to the stage & I have to do it over again.  Throw in how hectic multiple characters on screen can make things & it all feels like more of a brawl or melee (ho, ho) than a fight.

This is mitigated somewhat by the option to have Stamina & Stock battles against 1 or 2 opponents where I feel much more like I'm having a more measured fight & making actual progress, & I like how the some of the Smash games have Event battles or a Story mode, where my smashing has more of a context & objective.  This is why I loved the Subspace Emissary mode in Brawl, & my disappointment that Nintendo announced they weren't going to do that kind of thing again.  The World of Light mode in Ultimate appears to be them going back somewhat on that statement (even though they explicitly said it was more about fun than story) & battling for Spirits sounds like the Event Battles in previous games, only with more tangible rewards.

I had already pre-ordered Ultimate before the last Direct (every character ever? How could I turn that down?) but still felt a bit apathetic, but that Direct quelled those fears.  I'm pretty sure this Smash has been designed so that you can play it any way you want & have a great experience, so my weird follibles have been taken into account.

Streetfighter.

Smash

Call of Duty, though the latest is better.

I’m on the fence about whether to take the plunge with Red Dead having skipped the first one. I think it’ll be my xmas game.

I've finally beaten this affliction (I hope). Mainly due to having very little disposable income. However, past culprits include final fantasys, modern street fighters, Halo, since ODST, open world creative games (cities:skylines, kerbal space program...). Nothing wrong with any of these games, but I've realised that I just don't get enough out of them, despite the concept being spot on. I would include the souls games but I actually have played each one for a fair bit, just not to completion. Football manager I overcame in about 2007 (when they went full 3d match engine) I think but every year I am tempted to go back, but lack of funds keeps me from doing so.

Interesting thing is that when I play a game like this on game pass, I don't have anywhere near the same guilty feeling for giving up. Recent examples include a space-based city building game (don't remember the name) but I felt no guilt in playing it for a couple of hours and deleting it. Same with Doom, wolfenstein, battlefield 1.

Just now, grindmouse said:

Streetfighter.

Call of Duty, though the latest is better.

I’m on the fence about whether to take the plunge with Red Dead having skipped the first one. I think it’ll be my xmas game.

I think one way that I have helped deal with this is by eliminating games that are sequals of games that I didn't get in it. I have enjoyed watching other people play red dead 2, on twitch, but I spent about an hour with the first one before giving up, and I'd do the same with this one. So despite it probably being GOTY, and it looks fun to play, I will not be spending money on it.

Once you eliminate games that fall in to this category, the number of tempting games drops hugely. I would have been happy buying forza horizon 4 for real money because the last one I played for hours and hours and hence was confident that I would do the same this time around.

• Upvote 1

I bought every Final Fantasy up to whatever was first one on PS3. It’s not that I didn’t like them, I just never seemed to get awfully far into them, apart from 7, 8 (which I finished) and 9 (not quite finished). 

12 minutes ago, superstarbeejay said:

I think one way that I have helped deal with this is by eliminating games that are sequals of games that I didn't get in it. I have enjoyed watching other people play red dead 2, on twitch, but I spent about an hour with the first one before giving up, and I'd do the same with this one. So despite it probably being GOTY, and it looks fun to play, I will not be spending money on it.

Once you eliminate games that fall in to this category, the number of tempting games drops hugely. I would have been happy buying forza horizon 4 for real money because the last one I played for hours and hours and hence was confident that I would do the same this time around.

I rented Red Dead Redemption from Lovefilm (back when that was a thing) but couldn't even be bothered to put in in the PS3 before sending it back, so i know that the sequel isn't for me.