ScouserInExile

What do you emulate and what do you do it with?

44 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yes, and I use my deliciously Sanwa modded (thanks, Treble) Namco PS1 stick with a converter for arcade stuff.

I think I have a converter like that somewhere. I wonder how easy it is to get a PS1 arcade stick...

Back on track, they go for pretty high prices, Scouser. Nathan hooked me up with a sale from a Facebook group, which worked out about £70 for two of them.

They often go for that for a single stick :/

I need some kind of stick seeing as I play a lot of MAME/arcade stuff generally, but I can never settle on a system I'd want it for. PC would be the best bet but wouldn't mind one for the PS2, OG Xbox or even the Pi3. And all this about posh buttons and whatnot... way beyond me.  Looks lush though.

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

I need some kind of stick seeing as I play a lot of MAME/arcade stuff generally, but I can never settle on a system I'd want it for. PC would be the best bet but wouldn't mind one for the PS2, OG Xbox or even the Pi3. And all this about posh buttons and whatnot... way beyond me.  Looks lush though.

My advice would be to get one compatible with PC, as you can play hundreds of games immediately through Steam and emulation. 

If you like playing with a stick, you can move on to console-specific sticks (which tend to be loads more expensive!) 

12 hours ago, Treble said:

My advice would be to get one compatible with PC, as you can play hundreds of games immediately through Steam and emulation. 

If you like playing with a stick, you can move on to console-specific sticks (which tend to be loads more expensive!) 

Xbox 360 sticks seem to be Windows compatible out the box, maybe with some driver tweaking and are generally twenty to thirty quid on eBay. I'm really happy with my Hori EX2. It works great for Darkstalkers, Final Fight, Street Fighter and the like on XBLA.

I imagine it could be modded with better buttons and stuff, but it does the job as is.

Yeah, anything by Hori is good. I sorta meant any joystick with either an old or dedicated connector (ie not USB) will tend to be more expensive. Some retro sticks - most of them, in fact - are eye wateringly priced. 

My general rule of thumb is, don't bother with sticks for the 16-bit machines unless you find a great bargain, as they generally tend to be crap.

From the PlayStation onwards, they git gud but proprietary connectors make them a ball ache. Only invest if you're a collector of that machine. 

If you aren't interested in being a collector, the best approach in general is to invest in an expensive modern stick and use converters to make it usable on as many systems as possible. Brooks are usually the best for this. 

http://www.brookaccessory.com/product/

I use my old Intel rig (i5 4690K (@4.5Ghz) with an Nvidia Geforce 970 and 8GB DDR3) hooked up to my old 42' Tv, the i5 CPU, being the most critical part in any emulator, is fast to enough to run all the games in Mame & Dolphin that i play and the old 970 is powerful enough to run them at higher resolutions with shaders applied.

Zelda BOTW, which I played through at 1440p on CEMU, was quite an experience....could have done with 16GB RAM for it really, but running it off a fast SSD mitigated the worst of the Page FIle accessing and I wasnt going to spend over £100 on more RAM, I'd have just rather bought a real Switch.

14 minutes ago, Treble said:

Yeah, anything by Hori is good.

For 360 you're definitely better off with a Madcatz if you can get one. Easily modded with Sanwa parts. I found the Hori sticks a bit rubbish in comparison.

Fair play, I'm just trying to give simple options to confused newbies :) There are always better options but generally Hori are well priced, have higher availability and comparatively cheap. 

I honestly think the EX2 is a great stick if you can get one cheapish, or want to re-use it. 

I'm guilty of owning far too many sticks. Here's the current crop :)DSC_1990_1541761954893.thumb.jpg.3bcbe34d7d7565e36e2398c0c6915e38.jpg

43 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Just look at that namco stick.  So pretty compared to those other.....things.

The Switch HRAP is a work of art, you heathen. 

11 hours ago, Camel said:

For 360 you're definitely better off with a Madcatz if you can get one. Easily modded with Sanwa parts. I found the Hori sticks a bit rubbish in comparison.

I've got the EX2 and some form of ancient 360 HRAP. The HRAP was indeed a bit crap for the money and I only bought it in the first place because the first run of Madcatz TE sticks were sold out everywhere. But the EX2 was a superb budget stick, especially for shmups and Virtua Tennis!

• Upvote 1

On 09/11/2018 at 13:37, NEG said:

Everything on PC. I also love the retro achievements website while playing: http://retroachievements.org/

That’s ace! I can’t even begin to get my head around how it works, when it’s just the emulator that’s modded and you provide your own roms.

Shame they don’t have the emulators that are modded for achievements for the raspberry pi.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

That’s ace! I can’t even begin to get my head around how it works, when it’s just the emulator that’s modded and you provide your own roms.

Shame they don’t have the emulators that are modded for achievements for the raspberry pi.

Yes they do. Retroarch, which Retropie uses, has it built in.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Oh right. I’ve not looked at my Pi for ages but achievements might get me back on it. Is it easy enough to associate your retroachievements account to your RetroPi build (without a keyboard)?

I don’t use the feature so I don’t know. There’s a setting in the options, I suspect you might need a keyboard to type your login details in though!

I generally just SSH into my Pi from my phone if I need to do any typing on it.

• Upvote 1

On 08/11/2018 at 08:03, Treble said:

Try the stick on Win7, it may well just work :)

Turns out it does. Plugged it in, it download the drivers and seemed to be fine. Found a bit of joystick testing software and everything seems to be working.

Currently downloading just under 60gb of MAME roms, I'll be interested to see how well it works with that.

On 07/11/2018 at 13:48, ScouserInExile said:

I might have to revisit emulation on PC. It looks like my 360 Hori stick will work with Windows...

I use my old mad cats SFIV pad which works really well for most games, the power of the desktop PC is the only way to get some of the newer hardware emulators even close to full speed. Most emulators are badly optimised and should use far lower specs than they require.

Certain without a desktop, I wouldn't have been able to play and capture games like Wild Riders (Forgotten Sega gem that needs a reissue) played on Demul 11-11-2017. I doubt very much a Wii or Xbox could run games like this at all well on emulation. I never even saw Wild Riders in the UK so I'm not sure it even got released here, but games like this are the reason I stick to desktop PCs for emulation when need. I'd prefer not to use an emulator, but we need a home port for that to happen and some games are in a license limbo they can never come out of.