ScouserInExile

What do you emulate and what do you do it with?

There are plenty of threads in here detailing what you can emulate on various systems, mostly @dumpster's ever useful "turn your x into a fantastic emulation machine" series.

What I'm curious to know is what people actually do use for emulation and what systems you emulate on them.

Despite the first decade or more of my gaming life being on 8-bit home computers, 16-bit is where it's at for me. So I have a soft modded Wii with SNES and Megadrive emulators on it. I find the Classic Controller perfect for this - I really don't like using PlayStation or Xbox controllers for 16-bit stuff, for some reason, they just don't work for me.

I also have a Yod@Box for MAME/CoinOps. I'd much rather have an arcade style stick for this, but am yet to find one, so I'm stuck with original pads. But it works for my home arcade fix.

• Upvote 1

I have a desktop PC :blush:

Even so, I can hook a DualShock 4 up to it easily enough, and my "monitor" is pretty much a small LCD flatscreen, so there's no need to play whilst hunched over at a desk. I tend to go through phases of deleting and reinstalling emulators; right now the desktop is being used as a Redream machine (for checking out compatibility of DC curios) and I've still got PPSSPP in a folder somewhere, as I used that to do screenshots in my Persona 1 thread. :) 

Oh, I also have an unmodded SNES Classic Mini nearby - I never owned an original SNES in the 90s (or ever, in fact) so this is a nice modern alternative. :wub: 

46 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I have a desktop PC 

I always think I should use my PC for emulation, but it doesn't sit right with me. Which is extra weird when you consider my Wii is hooked up to my PC monitor.

I might have to get over that, since I'm sure my 360 arcade stick is plug and play with Windows.

6 minutes ago, OogyBoogy said:

Raspberry Pi 3b, mostly Snes and Arcade stuff.

What controller do you use?

I rarely emulate these days, and when I do it's mostly on the PC with an Xbox One controller. Most recently, it's been running ePSXe to play Alien Resurrection, given it won't play on the PS3 without a game-breaking bug. Generally, I go long enough between plays that every time I do want to run something, I have to google for the latest emulators to do the trick.

26 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

What controller do you use?

One of those unofficial 360 pads. The cord is extra long so it reaches wherever I sit. 

4 hours ago, dumpster said:

I'm finding that the Vita gets the most use, because you can play it whilst having the TV on.

I look forward to my Thursday nights, sat in bed playing some Megadrive shooter on the Vita whilst listening to Question Time.

I won't go into it too much, as I want to start a YT channel about my shenanigans and actually have some new content (!) but yep, staunch, staunch advocate of PC for emulation.

I don't really think of games in terms of retro and modern, and I don't care about original hardware - I just want to play games I haven't played before, or replay them in the best possible way available. More to come on that! 

So yeah, I have just about every emulator going. My favourites from a technical perspective are Dolphin, Redream, PCSX2, Final Burn and Fusion. 

Last game played on emu was Umbrella Chronicles on Dolphin using a Mayflash Dolphin Bar :)

• Upvote 1

RetroPie on a Pi3 for mainly NES, MD, MS and GB stuff. Fuse on the Mac for Spectrum stuff. That's about it. Sometimes OpenEmu on the Mac but not often.

Rarely bother to emulate anything else these days.

You just can't beat the power of a good Desktop PC, which is what I use.

Emulator wise I gave up on most systems due to most emulators being far from close to 100%, most get basic stuff like the aspect wrong to start with. That said I do use Arcade emulators quite a lot, but not much else, rare to see real arcade games in my nick of the woods these days and the space real cabs need is just not an option.

At the minute Snes Classic + OTG USB. SNES, Megadrive, Gameboy and PS1. I wonder if it runs Amiga.

I have the Pi2 but it's a bit slow with stuff and i dont like using xbox pads with it.

1 hour ago, Riven said:

You just can't beat the power of a good Desktop PC, which is what I use.

I might have to revisit emulation on PC. It looks like my 360 Hori stick will work with Windows...

4 minutes ago, Treble said:

Is it the EX2? If so, I wrote a guide on PC installation a decade ago! 

It'll be hideously out of date now :D

I used your guide back in the day!

The EX2 auto-detects in Windows 10 now. My Madcats SF4 fight pad does too, which was actually a terrible pad for playing Street Fighter but a good one for old 8/16 bit action games. Not tried my old original HRAP 360 stick yet but I'm guessing that will auto-detect too.

14 minutes ago, Treble said:

Is it the EX2? If so, I wrote a guide on PC installation a decade ago! 

It'll be hideously out of date now :D

I wonder if the replacement file is anywhere? It's a dead link in that guide, unsurprisingly.

I recently (well, 3-4 months ago) installed a PS1 emulator on my computer. I find it a hassle to play those games on my TV using original hardware, this way is much better and I'm more likely to actually play some of the games that way. I'd like to play PS2 games the same way, but the ones I tried run like shite.

6 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

No, I have a Windows 10 laptop but the desktop I'd be using for emulation is 7.

You can still upgrade to win 10 from 7 for free. Have a Google, it's pretty easy. I did it on an old pc about a month ago. 

3 hours ago, Olly88 said:

I recently (well, 3-4 months ago) installed a PS1 emulator on my computer. I find it a hassle to play those games on my TV using original hardware, this way is much better and I'm more likely to actually play some of the games that way. I'd like to play PS2 games the same way, but the ones I tried run like shite.

In my cheapo retro PC, I have a GTX 750 that cost me £35 new from AliExpress, and it runs PS2 games really well with a simple overclock. Which card do you have, and which games are you struggling with?

1 hour ago, Treble said:

In my cheapo retro PC, I have a GTX 750 that cost me £35 new from AliExpress, and it runs PS2 games really well with a simple overclock. Which card do you have, and which games are you struggling with?

One of the ones I tried was Vice City Stories. I don't have a card, just onboard graphics. That might be my problem :lol: Might be worth getting one of those if they can run PS2 games though! Can they run Gamecube and Xbox games at all?

I'm planning to do a video on what it can cope with but the short answer is: yes, with slight caveats. 

What CPU does your PC have? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Olly88 said:

One of the ones I tried was Vice City Stories. I don't have a card, just onboard graphics. That might be my problem :lol: Might be worth getting one of those if they can run PS2 games though! Can they run Gamecube and Xbox games at all?

you could always try using PPSSPP to play the psp version of vice city stories, that runs on everything pretty easily.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Treble said:

You can still upgrade to win 10 from 7 for free. Have a Google, it's pretty easy. I did it on an old pc about a month ago. 

My PC is pretty ancient. Probably more than a decade old now. I think, last time I checked, it only just hit minimum spec for Windows 10. The problem with upgrading is that you can't just undo the upgrade. Ideally I'd dual boot, but that would require a second copy of Windows 7, or just a copy of 10...

I use a Coinops 8’d Xbox which lives in the retro room, mostly for MAME on the CRT, and downstairs on the big modern telly I’ve got an Nvidia Shield running Retro Arch for SNES, MD, PCE, NES and MS. I’d like to get some arcade games on there in due course too.  It works very nicely and it’s super easy to get going.

Original hardware with a ROM playing solution is still preferable but sometimes I just can’t be arsed, and it’s easier just to plonk myself on the sofa for a bout of Coryoon or Super Double Dragon on the Shield.

6 hours ago, Treble said:

I'm planning to do a video on what it can cope with but the short answer is: yes, with slight caveats. 

What CPU does your PC have? 

Cool, that sounds good!

I have an AMD A10-5800K.

6 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

you could always try using PPSSPP to play the psp version of vice city stories, that runs on everything pretty easily.

Ooh that's a good idea, I hadn't even thought of that, thanks!

• Upvote 1