rllmuk
Lorfarius

Dave Perry is back...

Which social movement, founded by long term nemesis Mario, will bring Dave Perry’s newly revived career down following a bikini babe scandal?

#itsametoo (wi-fi)

Got to say that I thought that Dave Perry came across very well when we interviewed him back in 2017:

It seems to me that the more people moan about bikini babes and him being stuck in the past, the more that he rises to it.

• Upvote 2

The production was truly awful, but the content was okay. 

The whole bikini babe thing is pure pish and he obviously knows it. Presuming there is an element of irony to it, it’s quite amusing. 

12 hours ago, dumpster said:

Dave Perry comes across in that video as someone trying to re-grab that fleeting fame, and he appears to be reminiscing about those great times with a fond poignancy, and I was genuinely interested in what his life must have been like back then. But I wonder what he can do next. I doubt anyone under 40 recognises him as the Games Animal, so I wonder if more retrospectives would be the best way forward rather than trying to make a comeback. A new series of "The Games Animal is Back and Bigger Than Ever" would be as awful as a new Sabrina album, or Sam Fox going back to page 3 modelling, but a retrospective about what it's like to have been fleetingly famous would be really interesting.

I agree. It is fascinating. He’s basically a time capsule of a very specific period in gaming that most people on this forum remember as one of, if not the most important era in gaming. 

• Upvote 2

He seems ok to me. I think it is one of those things people have exaggerated over the years and he obviously plays off it still. To be honest, looking back now, that Dominic Diamond seemed to have more of an over inflated ego.

Despite the strange editing/sound, I thought it was interesting.

I think it`s a shame that so many people have the knives out.  As a fan of 80s and 90s games themselves and also someone with a lot of nostalgia for that era, I`d happily watch him or any other person who was involved in the industry (whether as a journalist or a dev etc) talk about some experiences they had back in the day.

4 hours ago, Adrock said:

I felt sad watching it. Terrible. Didn't manage to last longer than about 20 minutes.

The bikini babes really not your cup of tea?

On 24/02/2019 at 16:44, Swainy said:

Got to say that I thought that Dave Perry came across very well when we interviewed him back in 2017:

It seems to me that the more people moan about bikini babes and him being stuck in the past, the more that he rises to it.

Actually watching that video from 15:00 he talks about the bandana and how he ended up wearing it mainly as a branding thing. Really good watch and interview, having seen that I realised he's playing a bit of a character on his YouTube channel. Which I don't think works that well, as he comes across as a very different person in this interview to the persona on the his YT channel.

Really I think he would do far better if his videos where about games old and new and perhaps interviewing a few of the people who were on Games Master.

On 23/02/2019 at 23:17, dumpster said:

Everyone has their life story and experiences that define them. Some people live an ordinary life, some of us reach Tom Cruise levels of fame and live a life that regular people only dream of. Then there's this weird middle ground. Imagine actually being Dave Perry.  The Games Animal. Being flown around the world to represent the UK, being the best at something. Having a life that is envied by others, meeting Dani Behr, sharing a beer with Denise Van Outen, catching a train with Peter Purvis who was at the height of his Blue Peter fame.  Then, unlike Tom Cruise, that time passes and before you know it you're needing to earn money, but you can't go to work at Asda because you're Dave Perry, the Games Animal. 

The Cruiser is actually a great illustration that NOLF.

He re-invented himself as an action star when 'premium indie' stopped being a thing through the early noughties - I think he would have been happiest following the Tom Hanks route and sticking to the odd biopic, the odd indie, the odd elder statesman role for the rest of his career... if it it kept his profile high enough. 

But he has a gigantic ego and despises commercial failure. Too many projects ended-up mediocre, so he doubled-down on the M:I franchise and muscled his way into an actor/producer role. To be fair, even with the exposure which that brought, his relevance was dipping so he amped-up the USP he settled on: dangerous physical stunts. 

Now he's waning again and in real trouble. He used his muscle to get The Mummy re-written into an action film with him as the lead, and insisted on de-aging CGI makeup, making him look like an odd plastic man. The film was not only a flop, it tanked an entire franchise before it began. And does anyone really want to cast him anymore, other than in nostalgia cash-grabs or cameos? I'd say no, and if he wasn't so embedded in the production of M:I then Paramount would be looking at a reboot with another lead.

The people most successful at re-purposing themselves tend to be those who can adapt to change whilst retaining the niche thing you like about them. There's nothing inherently interesting about Dave Perry at all, so if he wants to succeed he will have to be really, really good at what he does and target his audience with laser-like precision.

• Upvote 3

So as part of doing episode 6 of Yesterzine I just had caused to do the infamous "Gamesmaster" bit of Mario 64 for the first time in a couple of decades.

Nailed it first time.

Fuck you Perry!

Gonna edit it together with his and stick it in a mini ep for the mid-week before ep6 for comedy value.

• Upvote 1

I think he was expecting tens of thousands to watch his stuff but hardly anyone watched :lol: So straight in the bin.

I also don't think he quite got how YouTube works now.

It's not about creating one 30+ video every month using a professional camera crew with hours spent preparing the material.

It's about abusing YouTube's algorithms. That is, creating 2-3 videos per week, each video stretching 2 minutes of content over a minimum of 12 minutes with 3 advert placement positions with a clickbait title (I dunno, like "Unbelievable Sex Rumours of GamesMaster") and a stupid thumbnail containing the host gurning into the camera.

And even then you don't make enough money from advertising so you have a virtual begging, sorry, Patreon account.

• Upvote 5

On 28/08/2019 at 11:19, Lorfarius said:

I think he was expecting tens of thousands to watch his stuff but hardly anyone watched :lol: So straight in the bin.

He was famous for being shit at Mario 64 on Gamesmaster and throwing a massive strop about it.

No one really gave a shit who he was before or after that.

• Upvote 2

Also on Facebook recently, he posted that he was looking for a photographer for a magazine shoot.

But he wasn't going to pay, he was just offering "exposure" that would be good for their portfolio..

My advice? Keep the lens cap on, that will give you the best possible photos of DP.

• Upvote 4

It's all a bit sad really. Old man looking back at his glory days and not being relevant anymore, wearing that knackered old jacket and bandana to remind him of when he thought he was cool. I knew Oasis you know.

I dunno who's sadder - him for making it, or me for clicking on it.

Scrubbed through it - tug of war on a beach, DP talking bollocks, strange bikini zombies. Not quite sure who his audience is :D

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

It's all a bit sad really. Old man looking back at his glory days and not being relevant anymore, wearing that knackered old jacket and bandana to remind him of when he thought he was cool. I knew Oasis you know.

Old man looking back at his glory days and not being relevant anymore whilst knowing that's what he is and presenting it from that point of view, would be a really interesting show.  

• Upvote 3

Had a look to see if this was still going. Three episodes up now and a “special” on bikini babes.

On Episode 2 now and between being awful he’s going through a photo album and reminiscing like a veteran of Dunkirk.

I’d like to see Zammo from Grange Hill doing something similar from his locksmith shop in Esher.

Edit: Hang about, that bikini babes thing isn’t a special, it’s the worst song and video in existence.