IGNORED

Diablo: Immortal - MMOARPG for Mobile. Developed by NetEase

Radish

Another example is I hate how Let's Go Pikachu is essentially 'baby's first pokemon' because it's geared towards the Pokemon Go crowd. But, from it's initial announcement they said 'don't worry guys, proper Pokemon will happen the year after'. So while there is still annoyance with how this remake is being treated. (No Gary, very, very easy, no HM's, no random encounters, etc), Game Freak were wise enough to know the reaction from word Go. (pardon the pun)

People have been comparing what Activision Blizzard just did with EA and Command & Conq, can't say I disagree.

4 minutes ago, NEG said:

Another example is I hate how Let's Go Pikachu is essentially 'baby's first pokemon' because it's geared towards the Pokemon Go crowd. But, from it's initial announcement they said 'don't worry guys, proper Pokemon will happen the year after'. So while there is still annoyance with how this remake is being treated. (No Gary, very, very easy, no HM's, no random encounters, etc), Game Freak were wise enough to know the reaction from word Go. (pardon the pun)

People have been comparing what Activision Blizzard just did with EA and Command & Conq, can't say I disagree.

This seems obvious to me (maybe not to others though) that Diablo 4's development is not impacted by this though. Why? Because all the development for Diablo Immortal is being handled by Netease.

3 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

This seems obvious to me (maybe not to others though) that Diablo 4's development is not impacted by this though. Why? Because all the development for Diablo Immortal is being handled by Netease.

They could be working on nothing else, and seeing how out touch they came across, and how Diablo 3 never got a second expansion, I wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing due to how unprofitable they might think another traditional hack and slash would be.

Though that's also a Blizzard-wide problem. They don't make new games. The amount of genres they could go into with the franchises they have is endless, but they play it so safe it's like blood from a stone.

Hasn't grown cynical and bitter in their old age and endless waiting award goes to Kiwi Cake.

If your not pretending, that's quite the sense of wonder to be able to keep, and being able to ignore any negativity they may have done over the years to boot! Nice one.

You know, if you aren't simply reading a press release about the company, that is.

Modern Activision/Blizzard can be a pretty shady company. Just see the lengths they've gone to abroad to try and get around loot box legislation designed to protect consumers. The fact they're being so evasive about answering questions on this games monetisation model should tell you all you need to know about how it will be (hint: most likely the same as all the other P2W Diablo clones on the App Store, except this one has official branding).

Maybe I'm missing something, but in terms of the conference itself I don’t see how people (who paid to be there) expressing relatively polite disapproval of a product is this awful event that has shamed the entire hobby. Fringe elements on Twitter who take things too far is another matter 

Genuine question to the people upset: how does this announcement negatively affect you in any way?

So far, the best explanation anyone has come up with is NEG suggesting it stops them from releasing a sequel, even though this relies on speculation that is contradicted by Blizzards own statements, and the fact the game is outsourced and not taking up any of their internal capacity, which was actually part of the substance of the complaints, but now we're pretending it's not outsourced if it's convenient for our arguments.

On 03/11/2018 at 07:03, Radish said:

It's justified, eh? Are Kotaku neckbeards for claiming the game is overlysimplified? Or Polgyon for pointing out that it's a reskin of the Chinese developers previous mobile game?

The crowd at Blizzcon weren't reacting to that though, were they?

I apologise for not having grown cynical and bitter, NEG, the world certainly needs more of both.

I'm not blind to the negative aspects of modern Blizzard. In my social circle I'm almost certainly the most negative when it comes to the way Blizzard handle continued development of several of their big IPs, but there's a difference between the kind of polite disapproval I share with friends or that Harsin refers to at the conference, and the kind of divisive stuff we're seeing being pushed by not just fringe elements, but large personalities like Boogie and co. on Youtube and social media, painting this event as a grand betrayal of the fans. A spit in the face of gamers coming from lazy, greedy devs - none of which is true.

Maybe I am being melodramatic, but I find the whole cycle exhausting and I don't even work on these games. For those who do, it must be pretty shit.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Dev abuse? By that do you mean a bloke asking a sarcastic question at the conference and the audience booing?

I think that’s massively downplaying just how attacking it is to do that to an individual. Imagine if you did a presentation at work and someone sarcastically asked you in front of everyone if it was an April Fool’s joke.

Now imagine there are a thousand people in the room who all laugh and it’s being broadcast to hundreds of thousands. 

You’re lying to yourself if you think you’d be fine with it. 

Meanwhile the douchebag who does it says he doesn’t want you to feel bad but the company should “feel ashamed and cancel the game.” Genuinely the mindset of child. 

52 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Genuine question to the people upset: how does this announcement negatively affect you in any way?

I would ask you the same about your reaction to Valve's Artifact announcement?

What other "business model first, game second" things can we come up with for hollowed out Valve?

CS:GO eSports version of FIFA Ultimate Team, collect all your fave cyberathletes.

Left 4 Dead gacha game. "Ooh I got a rare Coach"

Fuck it, Portal 3 Pachinko machine.

Obviously sending actual abuse to devs is wrong in any circumstances. But most of the articles bemoaning the state of the of the 'gamer community' are focussed on the actual reaction at the conference itself and I honestly don't see it as being any worse than the audience booing at a bad music gig.

Once again, actual abuse/threats BAD, but I don't see what's so terrible about mocking corporate products you think look rubbish.

It bums me out that garbage like that godawful Dungeon Keeper reboot has managed to do such a thorough job of salting the earth that people don't seem excited by the idea of a Diablo game on their phone. The most positive reactions in this thread are "well it sounds ok but I'll wait until I see how bad the microtransactions are". That sucks.

At least all the outrage is mildly amusing to watch unfold. 

Mobile games can be fantastic (playing Civ on the iPad at the moment and having a great time). The reason I don't have high hopes is that the App Store has loads of Diablo-alikes (including by this developer). They all follow the same template, stamina gauges, premium currency, autoplay options...etc.

Now this one may be different, but the fact Blizzard/NetEase are dodging questions about monetisation like Neo in the Matrix doesn’t fill me with confidence. Neither does the track record of NetEase, I tried Crusaders of Light when it came out and found it to be rotten and most of their current output on the App Store are various cheap and nasty PUBG clones.

I think if a company does something like Blizzcon, as well as being happy with any cheering and positive publicity, they should accept the possibility of descent, piss-taking and negative publicity.

Gamers, like any other consumers can sometimes feel too entitled and this can be quite weird and disgusting at times. By that same token, that guy getting mildly annoyed and asking if they all have phones came across quite badly too. Like he felt cheated out of some obligatory cheer.

I don't see anything wrong with being displeased with output from any artist/company etc that you may have an interest in. It's not necessarily "gamer entitlement", it can just be dissappointment.

We all get dissappointed regularly. Sometimes about the most trivial things. It just seems quite in at the moment to really attack it if it comes from people who play video games. 

Diablo 3 got to a really good place by the end but it started off terribly. And maybe fans, especially ones that care enough to go to Blizzcon, may fear this is a big backward step in the dev's attitude. Who knows?

I'm also aware that it's no big deal. It's just a game ffs. Vote with your wallet etc. But this is Discussion...

Hurling abuse at the devs is wrong, assuming that this in any way impacts Diablo 4 is silly, and going all over the top melodramatic about this is dumb. But let's not forget that it's also pretty dumb on Blizzard's part to use the announcement of a mobile game made by a completely different dev as a show stopper at an event attended by their most hardcore fans. A child could have told them that was bad PR, never mind their expensive pr professionals. That was not the time nor the place to announce it. The over the top reactions are dumb but could have easily been prevented. Shoving the poor devs in front of a Q&A session afterwards, while they could have predicted how the announcement would be received, was piling one dumb decision upon another. Didn't they unveil a Warcraft 3 remaster or something? Use that as the show stopper and announce the mobile game at the start in-between other stuff, done and done. Drama avoided.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Hurling abuse at the devs is wrong, assuming that this in any way impacts Diablo 4 is silly, and going all over the top melodramatic about this is dumb. But let's not forget that it's also pretty dumb on Blizzard's part to use the announcement of a mobile game made by a completely different dev as a show stopper at an event attended by their most hardcore fans. A child could have told them that was bad PR, never mind their expensive pr professionals. That was not the time nor the place to announce it. The over the top reactions are dumb but could have easily been prevented. Shoving the poor devs in front of a Q&A session afterwards, while they could have predicted how the announcement would be received, was piling one dumb decision upon another. Didn't they unveil a Warcraft 3 remaster or something? Use that as the show stopper and announce the mobile game at the start in-between other stuff, done and done. Drama avoided.

Now you're shifting the goalposts. None of the criticism I saw Friday night was anything to do with it's place in the presentation and entirely "A fucking mobile game". If it had been in the middle then the effect would have been identical and if they hadn't mentioned Diablo at all and announced it somewhere else the reaction would have been identical. Starcraft fans aren't happy about the way Starcraft was just skipped through with as little said as possible. The issue is that they just didn't have much to announce this year for anything but they can't cancel Blizzcon because that would create a similar backlash that they were dead and it's too tied into the esports for all the games.

You're right in one way thought. One of the complaints about Diablo 3 was that it was dumbed down for console players and a common critisim of wow for the last decade has been that they've been dumbing it down for a console release so I guess the platform elitism is only to be expected. I'd like to think I got over arguing my identity needed to be validated by my platform choice when I was 12. As I said, nerds are gonna nerd, it's not like it's new is it.

23 minutes ago, bcofn said:

Now you're shifting the goalposts. None of the criticism I saw Friday night was anything to do with it's place in the presentation and entirely "A fucking mobile game".

No, that was I said right from the start and you just didn't read it. Regardless of what Blizzard fans may or may not have shouted since Friday, as someone who doesn't care about Blizzard games in general (so far, none has clicked with me - they're just not for me, I guess), it struck me as extremely short-sighted to use that announcement as the show stopper given the nature of the convention and the type of players that attend or stream the presentation. Abusing devs is inexcusable, but it's not unreasonable to expect a company as rich, as professional, and as experienced as Blizzard to be able to judge which kinds of announcements are likely to go down well at such a specific event. 

Okay so here is how I view this whole entitlement and booing thing in response to things people don't like.

Yes Blizzard have the right to put out whatever they see fit to put out into the market, they don't have to make only what their audiences want or feel entitled to. There are many times where this approach has been a good thing, Nintendo in particular have been very famous for it, if we look at the Zelda games we can see how people eventually came to look at Wind Waker for the brilliant game that it is while also becoming that much more excited when the game they were asking for (Twilight Princess) was made. The studios right to create what they want is a very powerful thing and is worth holding some value in and even respecting in the long run.

That said as consumers we don't have to like, be happy with, or show interest in what is being offered to us. I do agree that Blizzard holding this conference and then having a mobile game as their big announcement is a completely tone deaf move, the type of person who is invested enough to spend the money to go to Blizzcon is the exact the kind of person who is likely to be opposed to the idea of playing and investing in a outsourced mobile spin-off of their favourite game. These are media savvy consumers who will be sceptical of any spin the studio tries to put on something they are already prejudiced against.

That said I do respect the audiences right to boo, and not only because they spent money to travel out to Blizzcon. In terms of communicating their disappointment to the studio, they could have just given the game a no reaction (which itself is a bad reaction) but booing sends a more direct message, that's why people boo, make sure there can be no mistake over how you feel about something. There is entitlement there if they are upset that the game isn't Diablo 4 or a PC game but at the same time the dislike doesn't come solely from that want for a true Diablo 3 successor, some people just really dislike mobile gaming culture, as has been pointed out already Dungeon Keeper was a very damaging release.

I've seen a lot of this culture before in Smash Bros, people walked away during evo grand finals for smash 4 because they didn't want to see a Bayonetta mirror match, this got slammed by some as disrespectful but I can understand people not wanting to watch something they have no interest in. Likewise I can understand why people booed Bayonetta at the E3 invitational for smash ultimate when one of the players learned the character beforehand so he could purposely zero to death combo people with her in front of the games director in an attempt to get her nerfed.

Don't get me wrong gaming is a medium where the consumers are incredibly entitled, it is good to demand better but there is a line that needs to be drawn. I don't think it is wrong to express disapproval at something because disapproval is in itself a form of feedback that can be used to know that you perhaps made a misstep or read the room badly. The point where it becomes an issue is when you are being both disapproving and demanding, the game designers are under no obligation to do what the consumers tell them as much as the consumer is under no obligation to approve of what is being offered to them, but it is important that neither side over steps that line. Make it known what you like and why you like the things you like but don't try and force studios to only make the things you like because sometimes what we think we want isn't actually what we want (Twilight Princess in hindsight doesn't seem to get nearly as much love as Wind Waker despite being the game people "wanted").

That's my take on it anyway. Studios can make what they want, we don't have to like it but at the same time we shouldn't tell them what to make instead, we should only request that they take select things into consideration. This is something I've seen happen with smash bros. Brawl was a massive departure from what peopled loved about Melee, the designers have seen this and have slowly pushed the series back in that direction while also making sure to not lose what they thought was important when they made brawl. Games are a case of trial and error, the only reason it can hurt so much when something doesn't work out the way you like is because in some cases it can be years before another attempt is made. This is why the entitlement problem often rears it's head, consumers feel like they are having something taken away from them because it may be another 4 years before that thing they want has the chance of coming back again (see people who mained Solid Snake in Smash Bros Brawl). We want new things and we want them often but at the same time we don't want those new things to change too much, we want something that is new but also familiar. 

I think on a cultural level gaming as a whole could benefit if the players had some perspective and patience. So this isn't the Diablo game you want, that's fine. It doesn't stop the other Diablo games from existing. I've been playing Smash Bros for Wii U for 4 years and I could happily continue for another 4 if Ultimate wasn't being released. Nothing is gained but nothing is lost either which is what really matters.

It takes being passionate about something to have a strong reaction in the first place.

Activision Blizzard reacting badly. They're not only continuing to remove comments from the trailer,  it even tried reuploading the trailer to get rid of the dislikes, hasn't worked.

Also in the IGN interview, their response to the reaction has basically been 'people shouldn't treat mobile like a dirty word. The exact same line of thinking/response EA gave about C&C mobile.

Gotta love big business. :seanr:

On Reddit there's a lot of discussion on this topic. As you'd expect, it's all kept in proportion. This is my favourite post, a response to someone saying that the anger about a mobile game is getting a bit out of hand:

Yes never complain about something you don’t like. The governments arresting all the Jews, let’s not say a thing about it. They are rounding up the homosexuals, the Jehovah witnesses, the undesirables let’s not talk about it. We don’t like it, let’s just ignore it.