rllmuk
JohnC

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

It's coming back! In the form of a sequel. As you've probably guessed from the name, it's in LA this time, in 1938. Mexican-American folklore.

• Upvote 2

Not sure this trailer is doing a lot for me.

You can't have Penny Dreadful without Eva Green.

Also the first minute fells like LA Noire.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Has anyone watched this? It's up to episode 6 and i'm on the hunt for something new to watch. I liked the original show but by Season 3 it had shit the bed.

I watched around three episodes. It’s a weird one. Feels like they had the skeleton of a cop show and sort of bolted supernatural elements to it. Though the show feels like it could exist without these elements, whereas they were an integral part of the original Penny Dreadful. 

Some of it isn’t bad, and Nathan Laine is predictably good value, but the pace is languorous and didn’t develop enough of a hook to keep me going. 

I'm enjoying it enough as a sort of crime show mixed with a weird Nazi plot, but there's not much of a supernatural element for the most part, other than in the beginning.

Having watched the first episode I get the feeling that John Logan has written it and Showtime have insisted on sticking the Penny Dreadful "brand" on it to scrape in some viewers. It may not be the case but other than Rory Kinnear it has fuck all to do with the original series. It's a bit like Season 2 of The Terror in that way.

I’m really enjoying it, but I’d not watched much of the original so I’m not bothered by the apparent lack of connection.