IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 Bug - Missing Camp NPCs & Missions

gospvg

Just another confirmation that restarting and not doing the Uncle mission fixes the camp bug. Also noticed that I fared somewhat better in the opening chapter than I did first time round. Probably because I’m more used to the controls, plus knowledge of what’s coming.

11 hours ago, Pob said:

How long did it take you?

About the same as you !  You can just bull through the missions and it's pretty quick other than the traipsing around in the snow after John.  

I think this game must have an unusual file structure which is probably related to the cause of the bug - if you restart (which you can't do from a main menu FFS), you don't get notified that your old autosave has been over-riden until you actually arrive at the first camp - so individual mission checkpoints are not saving to this location.    But then again the world is a completely different world in mission - unlike your Skyrim or whatever where the only difference is to spawn some enemies, NPCs or items in the main world.

1 hour ago, Aeglos said:

I looked for him.for ages then he just wandered past me. Little shit.

I am going to push him off the edge,

1 hour ago, sdmilne said:

Aside from not being able to talk to these people in the camp, are you actually missing anything? Really can't be arsed restarting just to be able to exchange the odd line with an npc.

Some reports about missing side quests/request tasks but I’m not so sure. The missing out on the dialogue is important enough for me especially John Marston & Sadie.

I think it’s just camp interactions you’ll be missing out on. I’ve not had any of the missing characters give me any new quests since I restarted.

I’m glad I did restart though, they are four key characters and the camp feels much livelier with them around. If you dispense with the fucking about you can barrel through quite quickly to get back to where you were. 

The train robbery played out much better for me this time around! 

On 02/11/2018 at 13:02, Majora said:

I'm particularly pissed because I did fail this mission and had to restart from a checkpoint, and the reason I failed was because when I was asked to collect one of the girls from the hotel, I walked 5 steps down the street and the mission failed me for walking the wrong way  :lol:

Since I didn't have the minimap or GPS on I did exactly the same thing. Went to look for the hotel I'd been told to go to, took about three steps and had an instant (and very jarring) game over.

To be honest I'm half tempted to use this as an excuse to sack it off and wait for the PC version since I've had a little voice nagging at me throughout saying 'You know you're going to end up doing all this stuff again'.

I have this bug. Everyone returned during the party and remained in the camp, however they were gone the first time I left and returned. This kind of bug smacks very much of smoke testing behaviours to test builds coming being created in quick succession. I imagine they always spoke to the camp people to check interactions then tried missions, as it's the most optimised way to hit everything. 

I was rushing through DQ11 to finish it before starting RDR2, another epic game. But now I'm kinda glad DQ11 lasted me this long (still not finished!) because of this bug. Have R* indicated anything about when to expect a patch? I will hopefully finish DQ11 (awesome awesome game btw) next week, but if there's no patch forthcoming I will play something else in the meantime...

11 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I was rushing through DQ11 to finish it before starting RDR2, another epic game. But now I'm kinda glad DQ11 lasted me this long (still not finished!) because of this bug. Have R* indicated anything about when to expect a patch? I will hopefully finish DQ11 (awesome awesome game btw) next week, but if there's no patch forthcoming I will play something else in the meantime...

No news on a patch yet. You can still play just got to be careful what mission you start with in Chapter 2.

This is rockstar’s response via Reddit.

"Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support,

We understand your concern regarding the missing storyline characters in Red Dead Redemption 2 Story Mode. Please be informed that, if the missions "Polite Society" and "Valentine Style" are failed, restart the mission instead of using the "Retry Checkpoint" option. If you have already completed the mission after using the "Retry Checkpoint" option, they will not be present until the start of Chapter 4. We hope you understand."

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Same here, although I've just reached Snifllheim, so I'd imagine you're ahead of me. I'm absolutely loving it and think I'll use Astrobot as a palate cleanser before starting this. Get your patch game on, Rockstar.

5 minutes ago, Steven said:

Same here, although I've just reached Snifllheim, so I'd imagine you're ahead of me. I'm absolutely loving it and think I'll use Astrobot as a palate cleanser before starting this. Get your patch game on, Rockstar.

Yes, you've still got a lot of story left ;) Enjoy it and take your time though! 

I'm thinking either Obra Dinn, Mark of the Ninja Remastered, or Beat Cop as palate cleanser. Patches on consoles need to go through certification so it can take a while.

The bug has really kinda killed my enthusiasm for the game to be honest- if this bug can happen so early on, even if I can be bothered to restart after about 10 hours of game time, it makes me wonder what other pretty big bugs will occur further in :(

7 hours ago, Retroguy said:

The bug has really kinda killed my enthusiasm for the game to be honest- if this bug can happen so early on, even if I can be bothered to restart after about 10 hours of game time, it makes me wonder what other pretty big bugs will occur further in :(

There have been no further reports of any major bugs like the Chapter 2 camp bug. It is really quick to replay chapter 1, especially now that you have a good understanding of the gameplay mechanics.

I’m glad I restarted. I’ve enjoyed all the stuff I’ve replayed even more second time around and got to see things play out a bit differently. The Marstons and Sadie add a lot to the camp environment. 

31 minutes ago, gospvg said:

There have been no further reports of any major bugs like the Chapter 2 camp bug. It is really quick to replay chapter 1, especially now that you have a good understanding of the gameplay mechanics.

Really? That’s good news then- I’ve been deliberating starting again, even though I’ve spent a fair amount hunting, and think I’ll do it then if that’s the case.

I'm not starting again, I'm on the final mission of chapter 2 (i think) so its not as easy as just redoing the snowy bits, and I've grown an attachment to this pretend horsey of mine.

I'll keep a separate save to come back to for when/if they make a retroactive fix.

Yeah, although a bit annoyed that I've missed out on some interactions, I was about 15-20 hours in by the time I realised about the bug so that's just way too much progress for me to give up on. 

I'm in Chapter 3 now and at some point John seems to have permanently returned FWIW. The other three I'll be waiting to see in Chapter 4 hopefully.