Turn your Nintendo Switch into a fantastic emulation machine

dumpster

@MikeBeaver amusing in the “put it to bed” post you forgot the video! :D

However, if you’re on Android on the Switch, using ReDream (a little egregious to pay for emulation, no?, so I too run “free”) then yes indeed you can pair two joycons and run both separately... as I did with my phone.

Basically, I am hoping for something more native when using a switch. If the above experience (P30 Pro) is mirrored, or worsened on the switch, I probably won’t drop 200 euros on another unit...

I am so on the fence with picking up another Switch. On the one hand yes. On the other, it took me about a year (!) to finally buy a Switch, once the updated version with improved battery came out. Now I'm considering blowing more money on another unit? 

Is there anything this thing can do above my hacked Vita, reliably?

On 30/01/2020 at 10:33, sharak said:

I am so on the fence with picking up another Switch. On the one hand yes. On the other, it took me about a year (!) to finally buy a Switch, once the updated version with improved battery came out. Now I'm considering blowing more money on another unit? 

Is there anything this thing can do above my hacked Vita, reliably?

I found arcade emulation to be better on Switch than Vita. N64 is better on Switch.

8 hours ago, sharak said:

Any PSP emulation yet?

could play Power Stone that way....

EDIT: the local seller has come down to 175 euro. Including transparent joy cons, modded with a dpad.

:omg:

PPSSPP works a charm on it, via the normal Switch OS, no need to drop into Android for that.

Patiently waiting :)

I do think 175 euro is a decent deal from the guy in the next village, including joycons he modded... but i spend over 400(!) on my new switch with Zelda and Mario Kart 8 so... that's a fair outlay and perhaps I should just crack on with Switch gaming and forget this emulation scene.

There's a chance my one would be hackable in the future? Sure.

Will I regret it? Maybe. Depends on the advancements. I have my original Vita here with me and it's hacked to the hilt and a brilliant machine.

Yes, I am typing to myself basically at this stage, and instead will go play some games.

Sorry, I got distracted by Pokemon Go.

Results are patchy at best though.

First up, there are a few awkward graphical glitches on the pre titlescreen thingy, you can't see what you're selecting, but a few clicks and I was at the main screen, picked and played a bit of the first game, it plays nicely, looks good and runs at a decent speed, nothing wrong that I could see.

Only issue I am having is using split Joycons, your usage with Retroarch may differ, but I had to go to the main screen of the Switch, split the joycon and press the buttons so it knew they were plit, then open RetroArch and go throught the setting, I just couldn't progress any further, not through it not working, but because I'm thick and couldn't work out how to change key bindings once I'd split the JC, missing START & SELECT buttons to get into the config menu really hampered that.

Well, as I was waiting on info i didnt go see the seller to complete the deal; it’s a best offer to me anyway so i am not keeping him waiting.

Thanks for the info @MikeBeaver

@dumpster what have you tried? I am most interested in docked mode, two player DC games using a pair of joy cons... 

Power Stone (&2)

Chu Chu Rocket

Virtua Tennis...

Power Stone is on the PSP as well, hence wondering if that worked nicely with two joy cons, then I am set.

8 minutes ago, sharak said:

Well, as I was waiting on info i didnt go see the seller to complete the deal; it’s a best offer to me anyway so i am not keeping him waiting.

Thanks for the info @MikeBeaver

@dumpster what have you tried? I am most interested in docked mode, two player DC games using a pair of joy cons... 

Power Stone (&2)

Chu Chu Rocket

Virtua Tennis...

Power Stone is on the PSP as well, hence wondering if that worked nicely with two joy cons, then I am set.

Is Powerstone 2 player on the psp? how does that work?

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Is Powerstone 2 player on the psp? how does that work?

Oh yeah.... erm, why did I even try to split the joycons, on a PSP game ??? I'm losing the plot, although I do wonder hpw well it would work with netplay against a Vita running homebrew, Hmmmmm

**EDIT** Ah, that;s what they're saying there, but just about 2P matches, if the RetroArch instance of PPSSPP has adhock mlti support , it might just work.

Wipeout Pulse and Pure run mostly okay on PPSSPP, but there are random crashes while playing, audio stutterings, framerate drops and every PSP game crashes Retroarch when quitting. According to reddit / gbatemp this is rather common. 

In fact, the only emulator running truly reliably and nearly perfect is Pcsx Rearmed (tested flycast, mupen 64 [tested Wipeout 64], ppsspp, pcsx rearmed). 

Maybe someone can help. I noticed that controlling Wipeout "cars" using the Switch handheld is more precise compared to playing it with a DS4 (using a 8bitdo adapter). It's just a lot easier to navigate the tracks with the handheld controls and the lap times are noticeably better. I think this has to do with Retroarch settings such as "Analog Sensitivy" which I adjusted, but the result is the same. Does anyone know which Retroarch settings I should focus on in order to improve DS4 precision? Thanks.

Btw, I'm talking about Wipeout 3 and Wipeout XL (PsOne) using Pcsx Rearmed core.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

There's a new release of Ubuntu for Switch, 3.3.0 - several Gamecube games appear to run at full speed.

I'm having a great experience with PPSSPP and ReDream in Android, now to see if I can get Mario Strikers, Wave Race and Super Money Ball running nicely in Dolphin.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick headsup, I've got a Switch that can be turned into a fantastic emulation machine. If anyone's interested in buying one, shoot me a PM. 

It's not been modded/hacked/whatever else, plays online, obvs.  I have't done anything to it myself. 

Comes with the original Box and carry case.

• 10 months later...

I wonder if anyone here could help.

If I have a soft-hack switch, but boot "normally", can I go online? I actually have a lite and a switch subscription, but use my switch for Dreamcast emulation (and other roms), but would also like to play some of my store purchases on the big screen.

I don't have a split NAND and all that... tips?

• 7 months later...