Jump to content
rllmuk
dumpster

Turn your Nintendo Switch into a fantastic emulation machine

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

The Android version, installed directly from the Playstore.

 

It runs Panzer Dragoon Saga also, although I'm not getting on well with the controls, but only had a quick blast, it's back to Fire Emblem before I forget what's going on, before I start any more retro stuff properly, but the two emulators I have tried have worked great so far, might see how "Drastic" is doing at some point, as a DS emulator for the Switch would be pretty tasty.

 

Can you have Lineage and Atmosphere on the same memory card? The guides I looked at tell you to start by formatting the SD card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So @MikeBeaver , I did this with a 32Gb memory card and wrote the 32Gb image to the card.  It's all working, but the computer sees the card as a 2GB one with all the Android gubbins on, and the rest appears unformatted.  The guide said to be careful not to format the card , so what's happening there? Where do I put the games when the memory card is only showing as 2GB?

 

Early thoughts are, wow, it all works and was easy enough to do. Games seem fine but loading times and downloads seem slow.  Clash Royale took a minute to load, but plays fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I've been FTP'ing into it, yep, it's bloody slow, but can't work out how else to do it.

So, those folders that you get on android, (download, ringtones, music, etc), are they on the SD card?

As far as I can see, the other 30Gb of my SD card is unformatted, but is the Switch using it?  

How do you FTP Sega Rally onto the Switch and where did you put it?

Thanks- so excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dumpster said:

So, those folders that you get on android, (download, ringtones, music, etc), are they on the SD card?

As far as I can see, the other 30Gb of my SD card is unformatted, but is the Switch using it?  

How do you FTP Sega Rally onto the Switch and where did you put it?

Thanks- so excited!

FTP into it whilst running Android, go to the sdcard folder, then, if you have already run Yabause, there should be a folder for it, drop your games in the games folder, as the raw files, not in their own folders, otherwise it won't picjk them up, if you have placed them elsewhere, then you can add directories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my controllers back from repair today and there are many updates in the homebrew store. The latest Retroarch has a new core on the list that I had not seen before, Flycast.  Only tried a handful of games but it is very good for Dreamcast emulation  and another excuse to delete Reicast and have all my emulators under Retroarch.  Definitely the handheld of choice for emulation!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have modded my launch Switch on (OFW 9.0.1) with Atmosphere and created a emuand (I think it's called). I then didn't block it from the internet and now my Switch is banned :doh:.   Not such a bad thing as I only play single player games but you cannot redownload anything from the store but everything I have is installed anyway and you can get the updates from certain websites if required. 

 

I think I am just going to use it as a handheld emulation machine and pick up another but just be warned it is pretty easy to get banned. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/11/2019 at 15:47, Parappa said:

I have modded my launch Switch on (OFW 9.0.1) with Atmosphere and created a emuand (I think it's called). I then didn't block it from the internet and now my Switch is banned :doh:.   Not such a bad thing as I only play single player games but you cannot redownload anything from the store but everything I have is installed anyway and you can get the updates from certain websites if required. 

 

I think I am just going to use it as a handheld emulation machine and pick up another but just be warned it is pretty easy to get banned. 

I really need clarification on this issue. If you EmuNand, you basically have 2 Switches in one console. Your Nand is the real, unmodded console and can be used safely online. Your EmuNand is a modded console and everyone tells you not to connect to Wifi on it. 

 

This is contradictory advice because the install process gives you a Homebrew Store app, which downloads your apps directly to the console over Wifi.  But I have not been banned and use my console on Wifi all the time. 

 

Is the whole 'ban' thing related to Nintendo's subscription service?  Because I don't do that. Also I have read you get banned if you mod your savefiles or pirate Switch games and I don't do that either.  All I know is I have used a modded switch on wifi for months with no issues.

 

Also, just for info, MelonDS just had a massive update. It plays many games full speed with touch screen. 

 

Dreamcast emulation has improved also, and I've been experimenting with the rewind controls on Retroarch and it's great for ploughing through old games that you want to see again but don't have time to get stuck on bosses etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I really need clarification on this issue. If you EmuNand, you basically have 2 Switches in one console. Your Nand is the real, unmodded console and can be used safely online. Your EmuNand is a modded console and everyone tells you not to connect to Wifi on it. 

 

This is contradictory advice because the install process gives you a Homebrew Store app, which downloads your apps directly to the console over Wifi.  But I have not been banned and use my console on Wifi all the time. 

 

Is the whole 'ban' thing related to Nintendo's subscription service?  Because I don't do that. Also I have read you get banned if you mod your savefiles or pirate Switch games and I don't do that either.  All I know is I have used a modded switch on wifi for months with no issues.

 

I think the problem I had was I just didn't understand the difference between the two when I first installed them.  One of my games received an update in EmuNand mode and it downloaded and updated.  I was also a member of the subscription service.

 

It has been a bit of a pain to lose access but I don't have a Switch for multiplayer stuff and you can get all the updates from places on the web.

Quote

 

Also, just for info, MelonDS just had a massive update. It plays many games full speed with touch screen. 

 

Dreamcast emulation has improved also, and I've been experimenting with the rewind controls on Retroarch and it's great for ploughing through old games that you want to see again but don't have time to get stuck on bosses etc.

 

 

Never heard of MelonDS so going to give that a go! - what DC core are you using in Retroarch?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Parappa said:

I think the problem I had was I just didn't understand the difference between the two when I first installed them.  One of my games received an update in EmuNand mode and it downloaded and updated.  I was also a member of the subscription service.

 

It has been a bit of a pain to lose access but I don't have a Switch for multiplayer stuff and you can get all the updates from places on the web.

 

Never heard of MelonDS so going to give that a go! - what DC core are you using in Retroarch?

 

Flycast.  Very impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my Vita, absolutely love it. It's hacked and I have a lot of fun with the home-brew and exploits that cfw brings, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and a couple of my emulators could do with a bit more juice.

 

So I'm going to hack my Switch and my Wii U today. Hopefully all goes well but I'm going to be doing a lot of reading and prep before I start. Have my jig and multiple SD cards so off I go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, amc said:

I love my Vita, absolutely love it. It's hacked and I have a lot of fun with the home-brew and exploits that cfw brings, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and a couple of my emulators could do with a bit more juice.

 

So I'm going to hack my Switch and my Wii U today. Hopefully all goes well but I'm going to be doing a lot of reading and prep before I start. Have my jig and multiple SD cards so off I go.

Enjoy! Post about how it goes!  (I mistakenly updated the Switch firmware last week and had to reinstall the mod, and noticed the guide in the OP has been updated.  Worked perfectly, but keep your eye on each line of the guide and make sure you don't accidentally miss a step. Good luck!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will do. I was all good to go, well, to start reading and preparing the actual process and was called away, but I'll hopefully have it done by this evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have an untouched launch day Switch waiting in its box for permanent emulation that doesn't require hardware modification or a 'jig'. I'm guessing we're not quite there yet? I last checked in in March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, I just set up Retroarch on my Switch and I'm able to make it up until the menu of Rez (i.e. until minute 10:37 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlaWIwX7f-E). After that, however, the Switch crashes and I need to reboot. Any idea what could cause this?

 

Error code 2168-0008

Firmware: 9.0.0 (Atmosphere 0.9.4)

 

edit: same crash with Flycast.

 

edit2: Cosmic Smash works. How do I make the flash.bin file regionfree? I had to use the Japanese flash.bin version for Cosmic Smash to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ann coulter said:

I still have an untouched launch day Switch waiting in its box for permanent emulation that doesn't require hardware modification or a 'jig'. I'm guessing we're not quite there yet? I last checked in in March.

 

I don't know if that will ever happen.  The original Switch uses the Tegra chip that was already hacked before the Switch even launched, so everything starts with the need to enter recovery mode with a jig.  Having said that, the current version of Atmosphere (the modded version of the Switch firmware) allows you to restart to your payload screen and restart to Atmosphere itself, even if the console completely crashes out.  So once you have your mod in place the console stays modded, survives crashes etc and you only really need to re-use the jig if the battery runs flat, or you want to use your "real" Switch for going online.  

 

Also, if you have an Android phone, the mod process is dead easy.  You keep your Jig and a USB-C to USB-C cable in the carry case with your console, you slide the jig into place, connect the phone to the Switch and tap the notification that appears. You don't even need to run the app.  It takes no time at all to re-mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, dumpster said:

 

I don't know if that will ever happen.  The original Switch uses the Tegra chip that was already hacked before the Switch even launched, so everything starts with the need to enter recovery mode with a jig.  Having said that, the current version of Atmosphere (the modded version of the Switch firmware) allows you to restart to your payload screen and restart to Atmosphere itself, even if the console completely crashes out.  So once you have your mod in place the console stays modded, survives crashes etc and you only really need to re-use the jig if the battery runs flat, or you want to use your "real" Switch for going online.  

 

Also, if you have an Android phone, the mod process is dead easy.  You keep your Jig and a USB-C to USB-C cable in the carry case with your console, you slide the jig into place, connect the phone to the Switch and tap the notification that appears. You don't even need to run the app.  It takes no time at all to re-mod.

 

Sounds like I need to get on it now then. I presume it's easiest to just buy a jig online? I won't be using the modded Switch for anything other than emulation of old games so that should make things easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

NVM - Had a google. 

 

Going to do this i think.

Edited by Wonderm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ann coulter

 

Yes, get a jig off ebay. I wouldn't trust the paperclip method etc.  Jig is straightforward. I found a seller with 2000 feedback, he had sold loads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping there will be a hack for the new Switch—I bought the new one in store because at the time I wanted the best battery life, warranty, all that kind of thing, and the second hand units here in Germany weren't much cheaper really. Now I realise that if I'd have bought an old Switch I'd be able to play old Dreamcast games on the go? I had no idea. I don't have my DC here with me (it's in the UK) and do miss the DC tbh. DC on Switch would be almost perfect maybe? Arses.

 

There will probably be a hack, at some point, so maybe I should hold off updating? I don't really plan on playing online with the Switch really; at the moment I will keep on just blasting through Zelda.

 

Subscribed to thread in case a situation changes.

 

On the plus side, I have a homebrew/emu Vita... can that run DC games...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sharak said:

I'm hoping there will be a hack for the new Switch—I bought the new one in store because at the time I wanted the best battery life, warranty, all that kind of thing, and the second hand units here in Germany weren't much cheaper really. Now I realise that if I'd have bought an old Switch I'd be able to play old Dreamcast games on the go? I had no idea. I don't have my DC here with me (it's in the UK) and do miss the DC tbh. DC on Switch would be almost perfect maybe? Arses.

 

There will probably be a hack, at some point, so maybe I should hold off updating? I don't really plan on playing online with the Switch really; at the moment I will keep on just blasting through Zelda.

 

Subscribed to thread in case a situation changes.

 

On the plus side, I have a homebrew/emu Vita... can that run DC games...?

 

There is a hack on route from Team Xecuter, it will involve hardware modding, but has been shown working on the Switch Lite, so should run back on the main, newer systems,

No ETA, and hopefully someone will reverse engineer it, as I hate giving TX money, they take so much from the scene already and profit from it, would be nice for the scene to get something back for a change.

 

As for the jig things @ann coulter , get one of the ones that come with a little dongle to plug in underneath, about a tenner on AliExpress delivered, or you can find them on eBay for more money, I keep one at the office and one in the Switch carrying case, very useful little things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

 

There is a hack on route from Team Xecuter, it will involve hardware modding, but has been shown working on the Switch Lite, so should run back on the main, newer systems,

No ETA, and hopefully someone will reverse engineer it, as I hate giving TX money, they take so much from the scene already and profit from it, would be nice for the scene to get something back for a change.

 

As for the jig things @ann coulter , get one of the ones that come with a little dongle to plug in underneath, about a tenner on AliExpress delivered, or you can find them on eBay for more money, I keep one at the office and one in the Switch carrying case, very useful little things.


It’s nice to know something is possible. For me, as with many, probably, I’m really only interested in homebrew for the emulation of retro stuff I love... that I’m mostly bought at least once in my life and still have somewhere. I understand the piracy argument, but I am after playing my old DC library again, and when portable? Amazing!

 

Perhaps I will try to not update the new Switch past 9.1.0 or whatever it’s on. I’m still playing Zelda and have a long, long way to go. I am still catching chickens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2020 at 11:42, sharak said:


It’s nice to know something is possible. For me, as with many, probably, I’m really only interested in homebrew for the emulation of retro stuff I love... that I’m mostly bought at least once in my life and still have somewhere. I understand the piracy argument, but I am after playing my old DC library again, and when portable? Amazing!

 

Perhaps I will try to not update the new Switch past 9.1.0 or whatever it’s on. I’m still playing Zelda and have a long, long way to go. I am still catching chickens.

If it is an exploitable model, you can happily update away, they are unpatchable and will always be vulnerable to the original hack, the homebrew scene just needs to update files, with the newer models, that's an unknown at the minute, I maintain two units, one on the latest fw as a Ttetris 99 machine and the other for homebrew and emulator stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Unfortunately” I just bought a Switch before Christmas, knowing nothing of the modding/homebrew scene for the device. I’ve not had a Nintendo device since my old DS, so was way out of the loop. Also, last time I checked DC emulation for anything it was pants.

 

Some questions...

 

Does Tetris 99 require the Nintendo online service?

 

If I buy an “old” switch, does it matter what firmware it’s on?

 

I don’t really want to fork out the same cash again for an older unit to run homebrew/emulation—second hand switches are about the same cost as new ones, give or take. 

 

EDIT: I’ve just found a local Switch for sale for about 170 quid with a busted rear hinge. How good is the emu scene in your opinion @MikeBeaver? It’s not like I need another Switch but I’m tempted by the emulation aspect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sharak said:

“Unfortunately” I just bought a Switch before Christmas, knowing nothing of the modding/homebrew scene for the device. I’ve not had a Nintendo device since my old DS, so was way out of the loop. Also, last time I checked DC emulation for anything it was pants.

 

Some questions...

 

Does Tetris 99 require the Nintendo online service?

 

If I buy an “old” switch, does it matter what firmware it’s on?

 

I don’t really want to fork out the same cash again for an older unit to run homebrew/emulation—second hand switches are about the same cost as new ones, give or take. 

 

EDIT: I’ve just found a local Switch for sale for about 170 quid with a busted rear hinge. How good is the emu scene in your opinion @MikeBeaver? It’s not like I need another Switch but I’m tempted by the emulation aspect!

 

 

Yep, you need to be online and have an active sub to play Tetris 99 against others, as for the busted one, ask for the serial number, there is a site where you can check to see if it is patched or not and thus will run homebrew, the machines were already "iPatched" ( yeah, I have no idea either ) after a certain amount ( around 13 million ) had made it out into the wild, but if it is hackable, it's well worth it, I've got different memory cards set up for using stock fw with native homebrew and another one that has Android on it for Saturn and some other systems that don't function as well under Horizon ( the Switch' OS ).

 

If you can get him down to £150, then you could sell off the spare Joycon, ( £30 - £40 I guess ) use your own on which ever system you are currently using and probably get it for a half decent price, it's a capable machine for emulation and I've let me JXD 7800 go now as it just wasn't getting used once the Switch was doing everything that it had previously done for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.