rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
OogyBoogy

Arcade 1up

On our weekly shopping spree at Walmart, I spotted these kits to build your own arcade cabinet. Has anyone tried one of these? I did not see one at the store, but the website shows a Galaga edition, and for $299 I might just have to get it.

The reviews have been mixed on these. The control panel overlays smudge and fade after a few weeks use. Also the Spinners on the Asteroids/Tempest cabs doesn’t spin freely enough to use.

9 minutes ago, OogyBoogy said:

It wouldn't be too hard to cut a thin piece of plexiglass to size for covering the control panel (or some other clear thin material).

Shouldn't really have to at that price though. 

• Upvote 1

The Metal Jesus review suggests the spinners will be better on retail units as his was apparently a prototype. Not sure if that’s actually the case or if it was marketing bullshit by 1-up?

There’s some good videos on YouTube where folk are connecting Pandoras, Pies and PCs to it, so there’s modding potential if you're not into building one from scratch or from a kit off EBay.

I've been following these. I was ever so keen on the karate champ cabinet, but the fact they ones I've seen just show the original karate champ, not player v player, despite set up for player is a deal breaker.

The differences between the two are quite significant, plus player v player has 12 different stages, better set up for bonus stages and slightly different hit detection...I'm a bit gutted.

I hope somehow I've just seen prototypes and it will have both versions on, but from all I've seen its just the original karate champ.

I like street fighter, but I've played them so much, I own all versions pretty much on disk, then I have anniversary, 4 and 5 on Ps4.

Maybe golden tee then?!

I agree with what's been said about them...I'm happy to buy one as a toy, but...for the cost, it's got to be what I would love.

Maybe I will get the street fighter one, but, even with load screens, I have both collections of 2 on American Ps1 that look gorgeous on crt.

I've since developed a love for hyper fighter, and that's not on the 1 up machine.

I'm thinking more about golden tee...for when friends are over etc.

had karate champ been player v player....id of been more excited.

i've still not given up on the idea of buying one.

Personally, I think that looks amazing!

I currently own an Arcade 1UP Street Fighter II cab and it is pretty decent, but my experience from that would make me want to have a go on this first before paying anything. The SF2 machine comes with pretty lousy joysticks (the player 1 stick was okay, but both myself and my flat mate found it almost impossible to pull off any special moves with the player 2 one) and the video output doesn’t quite match the native resolution of the LCD display. It looks decent enough, don’t get me wrong, but they could’ve done better. I can imagine that potentially being more of a problem with vector graphics.

As it goes, I know for a fact they could’ve done better with some tweaking to the video output, as since purchasing mine I’ve installed a Raspberry Pi in there and turned it into a MAME cab, and RetroPie allows you to output to the correct native resolution of the display and add scan lines, so everything looks nicer now. As part of the build, I also decided to replace the joysticks with slightly higher quality ones, plus I added light-up buttons to the front to act as the coin slots (and select buttons on SNES games). I also had to replace the player start buttons as the originals wouldn’t work with the Pi for some weird reason, despite all the others being fine, so I used some spare light-up ones. I think it arguably looks nicer like that anyhow.

Downsides are it’s a huge faff to get the power and volume switches to work with the Pi - you have to order some special parts from the US and there’s soldering involved, so right now I just turn it on and off from the mains socket and have the volume set to a nice overall level using a cheap amp I installed inside it.

And yes, I know my overpriced rented London flat has an ugly kitchen.

50723DA2-6D83-498E-A793-0C6451DC80C4.jpeg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Zio said:

Personally, I think that looks amazing!

I currently own an Arcade 1UP Street Fighter II cab and it is pretty decent, but my experience from that would make me want to have a go on this first before paying anything. The SF2 machine comes with pretty lousy joysticks (the player 1 stick was okay, but both myself and my flat mate found it almost impossible to pull off any special moves with the player 2 one) and the video output doesn’t quite match the native resolution of the LCD display. It looks decent enough, don’t get me wrong, but they could’ve done better. I can imagine that potentially being more of a problem with vector graphics.

As it goes, I know for a fact they could’ve done better with some tweaking to the video output, as since purchasing mine I’ve installed a Raspberry Pi in there and turned it into a MAME cab, and RetroPie allows you to output to the correct native resolution of the display and add scan lines, so everything looks nicer now. As part of the build, I also decided to replace the joysticks with slightly higher quality ones, plus I added light-up buttons to the front to act as the coin slots (and select buttons on SNES games). I also had to replace the player start buttons as the originals wouldn’t work with the Pi for some weird reason, despite all the others being fine, so I used some spare light-up ones. I think it arguably looks nicer like that anyhow.

Downsides are it’s a huge faff to get the power and volume switches to work with the Pi - you have to order some special parts from the US and there’s soldering involved, so right now I just turn it on and off from the mains socket and have the volume set to a nice overall level using a cheap amp I installed inside it.

And yes, I know my overpriced rented London flat has an ugly kitchen.

50723DA2-6D83-498E-A793-0C6451DC80C4.jpeg

#TriggersBroom

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, SeanR said:

#TriggersBroom

Hey! The screen, wood panels and 6 of the buttons are all totally original!